• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Comiket Questionnaire Implies Possible Move Westward in 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

You mean Manji. That misunderstanding between it and the completely evil swastika is the reason that one Pokemon card got removed.

Manji might be how Japan names the symbol, but it's the same swastika plastered all over Asia - in soul and name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMa19t6cnyg
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
That's tough choices their facing. Alot people attending the Comiket show don't have cars, they would have to cough up money to travel.

That would cut down on number of people attending the show or going to and possibly the artist able to go. Industry may hurt from that.

Too bad there no conventions centers big enough to handle them like in Yokahama for example.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

It makes me wonder how anime fans will react when the World Cup inevitably gets put in Japan.

Oh, we remember how it was:

FOOTBALL: WORLD CUP 2002: FEAR AND LOATHING IN JAPAN

Upping the fear factor

• In May 1999, the National Police Agency established the “Policymaking Committee Against Internationalization” (“Kokusaika Taisaku Iinkai”), with budgets for public warnings and periodical bully pulpiting. In 2000, the committee got to work coloring the national debate, developing policy against the inherent criminality of an internationalizing Japan.

Suddenly Japan was no longer “safe.” Fortified by biannual NPA reports, the media periodically served up shock-horror headlines (for example, the Sankei Shinbun of April 1, 2000, exaggerating a “six-fold rise” in foreign crime). Politicians (and even the emperor) called for tightened public safety, blaming “a million foreign murderers and crooks” (former lawmaker Etoh Takami on July 12, 2003) and “sneaky thieves” (Kanagawa Gov. Matsuzawa Shigefumi in December 2003).

Open flew the tax purse strings: After Tokyo Gov. Ishihara claimed (with evidence unclear) that “even the yakuza are scared to enter lawless Kabukicho,” it became Japan’s first neighborhood with universal surveillance cameras.

But then the government and media scored an own-goal, during the 2002 World Cup. Their national “antihooligan” campaign wound up making life positively uncomfortable for many a foreign resident. The hooligans, meanwhile, never showed.

Not to be outdone, Miyagi Prefecture Assemblyman Konno Takayoshi publicly pondered what to do about children born afterward of “foreigner rapes” (Time Magazine Asia reported Mr. Konno Takayoshi was quoted during a June 2001 assembly as saying: "Given the exceptional atmosphere of the event, we must face the possibility of unwanted babies fathered by foreigners who rape our women.")

relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

All right then. I'm seeing some direct jabs at the Olympics itself (rather than the IOC, which is different), which kind of irks me because that's also insulting the millions of people who tune in to watch the Olympics and the millions more who read about or hear about the results from other sources.

True. I suppose I should speak for myself only. But yeah, I can see where you are coming from.

Hoppy800 wrote:
You mean Manji. That misunderstanding between it and the completely evil swastika is the reason that one Pokemon card got removed.

Yep. Pretty lame. I mean, I can see both sides of the argument, but it just feels pretty dumb to remove a huge piece of Buddhist culture because it was also used as a symbol of evil at one point.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
All right then. I'm seeing some direct jabs at the Olympics itself (rather than the IOC, which is different), which kind of irks me because that's also insulting the millions of people who tune in to watch the Olympics and the millions more who read about or hear about the results from other sources.
They're a bum deal. One of the big selling points of hosting them is the supposed economic gains, but the costs have been increasingly proven to far exceed the limited one-time cash infusion, so a lot of cities have been pressured by their own citizens to drop their Olympic bids(only two remained in the running for the 2022 games, for instance).

And, of course, there's the fact that, in this specific case, the Japanese government is using them as an excuse to screw with aspects of the anime otaku subculture.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Polycell"]
leafy sea dragon wrote:
All right then. I'm
And, of course, there's the fact that, in this specific case, the Japanese government is using them as an excuse to screw with aspects of the anime otaku subculture.

Current government are headed if I'm not mistaken by a very conservative government, that hell bent take Japan back to the more traditional way life. Which includes; more militarism, less sexual, more people acting quiet and reserve.

Could get scary, I just hope convention finds new home somewhere that everyone can agree to go before they loose the momentum.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3