• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are so many ways to complete Shinji's arc but, much like Rebuild 3.0 or EOE, not everyone will come to the same understanding or enjoyment.

The original Eva was about Shinji AND Misato, Misato ends up being written as a supporting cast member in the rebuilds (this was obvious by the end of the second rebuild film).
I bring this up as Misato is the character that is actually actively looking for the strings pulling the oncoming apocalypse, if you take her out of the active roster then the narrative pretty much is forced to simply watch Shinji's limited POV.

That is the thing, no matter how it unfolds it seems that the narrative is already predetermined to take a grand poop on Shinji's life.

Shinji's fate is that of a lead written up for a tragedy, he will suffer and suffer more, Shinji learns of good things only to fall further into despair.

3.0 could have been made differently, the 2.0 stinger was proposed the sequel to immediately follow the events of the film, the "issue" is that the 3.0 that was released is closer to an art piece as opposed the seconds rebuilds "big movie blockbuster".
Until Anno actually gets off his toilette and finishes the "true finale" the rebuild trilogy as it stands is a bizarre experiment going in multiple tangent directions that I could see the casual viewer being highly annoyed with.

Last edited by FenixFiesta on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, that certainly made me remember how much I'm like Shinji great review wish I could write like that. Given that the last movie hasn't come out I may just wait till the last movie comes out.

I've always valued this series more for the exploration of the emotional life of the characters all of the Sci-Fi gnostic imagery has left me cold. Or more so people who want to obsess about the imagery and miss the message of the franchise.

Also, I've always liked the dub for this series it's probably the only Anime I prefer the dub over the sub. I've always liked Spike Spencer as Shinji he captures the woundedness and the self-loathing of Shinji quite well in my honest opinion
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow I am completely shocked that Zac didn't love Evangelion 3.0 because I seemed to remember him loving it back when it first came out. Maybe I am just going insane or remembered wrong.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much agree with the review. It's a very flawed film (the first 40 minutes were really hard for me to sit through) but a very emotional experience and one that meant a lot to me. Every scene with Kaworu and Shinji is wonderful; I'm always glad to see Kaworu get an extended role because I thought he was an interesting concept criminally underused in the original series.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I just hope to the gods of anime that Anno gets nowhere near any future productions in the Space Battleship Yamato 2199 franchise. Evangelion 3.0 lost what little faith I had left in him.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Let's talk about the actual release, not the movie itself:

-The menu is the same as the Japanese blu ray, identical. It's not a very good layout and is confusing to find what you want.

-The previous Funimation releases had all the trailers. This version lacks the Japanese blu ray trailer and it even lacks the Funimation English trailer for the movie (every Funimation release has the trailer for that release on disc, so this is the first time they didn't include it. Lame). Instead we have like 7 versions of the Japanese 15 second preview which all look nearly identical.

-The voice acting is good and meh. Characters like Shinji, Kaworu, Gendo, and Misato sound great -- but others like Mari and Asuka are a downgrade. I couldn't make out half the shit Asuka was yelling, and what does she call Mari? She has a nickname for her that I did not catch after hearing it a bunch of times, horrible pronunciation. Mari is fine, but she does not sound like she did in 2.22 (slightly different).

-On the same note, those first 30 minutes of the movie are laughable. The poor voice actors were forced to say so much technical slang in so little time. It honestly sounded like random words stitched together and pronounced in under 3 seconds (but I guess that's an old joke about this series, so nothing new).

spoiler[-The way they call Unit 02 in this film as Unit 02 Improved rather than (alpha or beta) is cringe worthy.]

-In 1.11 and 2.22 the title of the film both appeared in English, but in this movie the Japanese Logo appears instead of the English movie title. So out of nowhere we get the Japanese title with a Q in the end rather than Evangelion 3.33 You Can (cot) Redo. Fans like us will know why it's called Q, but people who only watch the dub will be confused as hell. Plus I think it kills the consistency from the other two films.

-Also, why were the ending credits in Japanese? The previous films had English credits. This film is Japanese credits and at the very end a few names of the voice actors roll for about 5 seconds? I would actually have liked to read the names of the people who were involved in this film. It's inconsistent with the other films, and is not something Funimation typically does, they always translate the credits. Thanks a lot Khara...

-I watched it again with subs of the original dub, and honestly, it didn't feel that different. There were a few better lines in the new version, and there were a few lines better in the old version. So it's 50/50. And to be honest, this was not worth the 2 year delay.

-Finally, the actual packaging is nice, but very inconsistent. First movie is a thin digipack, second movie is a sleeve with a fold-out part, and this time it is a slip case that is taller and even thicker than the other two movies. Looks very inconsistent on the shelf.

Overall I am disappointed with this release. I am fine with the dub, it's the quality of the release that I am not happy with. The delay was pointless in my opinion - this new dub isn't all that much "better", the main menu is confusing, trailers I would have liked are missing in the extras, they didn't change the Japanese titles to English like in the other films (seeing "something something Q" appear mid movie is a wtf moment), the lack of proper English credits really annoys me, and the packaging is inconsistent.

In fact, I think the term inconsistent is how this whole release should be labeled. The involvement of Studio Khara did nothing of value, they only delayed this release and ruined the consistency that the other films had. This is not a review of the movie, but rather a review of the release, and I would say it is a 6/10 at best.
The.Drmcvey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Wow I am completely shocked that Zac didn't love Evangelion 3.0 because I seemed to remember him loving it back when it first came out. Maybe I am just going insane or remembered wrong.

He loved it, he's just not afraid to admit that the film has contrivances in its story.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I am with penguintruth (5/10 from me) and the only thing you will find after digging is the Holy Grail of Shark Jumps. The one redeeming feature which "saves" the movie are the production values and i had to fast forward through half of it when i gave the "film" a second try after 2 or so years past by. How do you make an entire cast unlikable withing 2 direct entries in a series and how do you make a re-imagining of Ep.24 / Kaworu boring? The manga´s take on him is the best if you ask me and the crazy delays of the last entry (let´s see about that...) speak volumes.
This movie is the textbook definition of how to take palpable forward momentum and then violently choke it do death beyond recovery within 20 minutes.
This "film" is what Eva haters accuse the core parts of the franchise to be! I will probability deduct one further point depending on how things will shake out in the end. I couldn´t be more curios though how the next one turns out. Don´t start here if you never watched or read Eva...
I think you and the other guy seem to have forgotten what Evanellion is. The first one was an enjoyable Otaku targeted Mehca, complete with Waifus and Tsundres, which then went off the rails into the realm of pretentiousness and animation so poor, that turned the show into, borrowing a term from the legendary Chuck Jones, Illustrated Radio. This 3rd film brings back all the worst elements of the later parts of the TV show, if you liked that then you like this Movie.

That's the truth of it, if you liked the widely disliked parts of the TV show, then you like this Movie, you can't have a double standard.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Nice review! Definitely helped me understand the movie a bit more.

I think with Eva 3.0 you see the general arc of what Shinji's journey is character development wise, you can pin the important moments on a flowchart. Shinji goes one step forward, two steps back. He tries to change with every movie and succeeds, but not enough to matter.

Eva 1.0 is a journey to getting him to trust others, then he gets betrayed and hurt for it in the first half of 2.0. At the end of 2.0 he finds his own reason to pilot the Eva, to save somebody he loves. And 3.0 is a demonstration of how that's still not enough.

Despite him doing what others have told him to "We are all in this together.", "Pilot the Eva because you want to!", his core of self-hatred hasn't changed.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
Also, I've always liked the dub for this series it's probably the only Anime I prefer the dub over the sub. I've always liked Spike Spencer as Shinji he captures the woundedness and the self-loathing of Shinji quite well in my honest opinion

I agree. The dub for this film, for me at least, gave a bit more life to what I originally considered a pretty empty film.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I've always felt it would have been very easy for Anno to tidy up the original storyline and churn out four shiny new movies before laughing all the way to the bank.
Indeed that's the impression the first movie gives.
The second movie starts to diverge slightly....

...then WHOOSH! The third movie starts and we're off the chart into unexplored territory where the viewer is left just as confused as Shinji is by the shift between the end of the second movie and the beginning of the third.

It's a bold move on Anno's part and I applaud him for not taking the easy option.

Will definitely be buying this.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I. LOVE. THIS. REVIEW! This is exactly what I wanted to read. So few reactions can separate what the movie says so well while acknowledging its failures. I had some of my own points I wanted to share, but Zac really says so much better than I do.

(SPOILERS FOLLOW)

I loved the characterization of Shinji and Kaworu. Compared to their development in the TV series, it's much clearer and believable what's going on between them.

The piano sequences highlight how Kaworu sees the world and the way he uses it to open up to Shinji. He understands the need for people to change in order to grow and survive. Reality is messy business. Just when we think we have things figured out, events alter: friends have new attitudes and distance themselves, lifestyles and goals take a turn and just when you thought you knew someone (Rei), they turn out to be a different person. This has always been Shinji's greatest issue, and Evangelion 3.0 throws a punch to his gut no one saw coming. Of course, it requires a whole movie for everything to sink in, and boy does it!

Contrast Kaworu's perspective with the piano to Shinji's appeal of star gazing. He confesses he always enjoyed looking up at the night sky because he found the vast, empty certainty of space calming. Kaworu rightly points this out as Shinji's preference for a consistent, infinite world over an uncertain and ever changing one. In one scene, Anno quantifies Shinji's struggle in the clearest way Evangelion has ever shown. The boys' opposing views make the film's climax all the more poignant since Kaworu hopes to change the outcome of Gendo and SEELE's plans while Shinji wishes to return the world to a place where everyone is not so hostile towards him. One wants to go forward, and the other to go back.

They make their outlooks so clear to each other, getting along despite the difference. Yet in the end, Kaworu's desire to help Shinji, and his desire to set things right bypasses what each wants for the other: Kaworu's wish for Shinji to move forward, and Shinji's wish to make things better for those he cares about.

When Shinji goes to NERV, he does so because he believes the Rei that picked him up from Wunder is the one he saved. In all fairness, Gendo and Fuyutsuki are the only characters with the knowledge and the evidence to back up what to Shinji could only be an outlandish claim that Rei Ayanami is one of countless clones of his dead mother. At the same time, Kaworu is the one who reveals the truth to Shinji about him starting the Third Impact. The kindest person to him in the film confesses and shows the most devastating information to him. In contrast to those at WILLE, this makes sense.

Kaworu wants Shinji to move forward. He understands the only way to do that is to accept reality. What do Misato and the rest want him to do? Nothing. They are focused on defeating NERV, and part of that is keeping Shinji out of their hands. They want to protect him from himself. They keep the truth about Third Impact from him, and of course they know the information would be devastating. Why would Misato leave him to wallow in guilt without a chance to redeem himself? They don't know what he's capable of, so the quickest solution seems to be keep him under watch and in the dark. It's a temporary solution to a big problem. Kaworu is the only one who wants Shinji to change.

He is not the only one who cares about him though. Despite much less screen time, Asuka and Misato have nuanced moments that infer just how far they have come. Even though she knows what will happen if Shinji goes to NERV, Misato cannot bring herself to kill him. Watching him fly off, the trigger in her hand and the chance to foil SEELE's plans going out of range, she faces the toughest choice she's had to make yet. In spite of everything that has happened over fourteen years, forced into a life or death choice, Misato still cares so much about him regardless of the distance between them.

Asuka also hints at the boiling feelings beneath her exterior. She admits she could not hold back, upon punching the glass dividing them, all the anger and grief pent up inside her, yet she tells Mari she went there just to do that. Opening his entry plug at the end of the film, she's out of breath with a concerned look on her face until she confirms he's physically unharmed and goes right back to her facade. She tells Shinji her eye patch is none of his business. On the other hand, in the opening as they fall back into Earth's atmosphere, she calls out to him for help, and he answers.

Yes, we do not know what's happened to them in the last fourteen years. It is clear though, they've been through a lot. As much as they try to bury it though, they cannot give up on how much Shinji means to them.

On the flip side, you have perhaps the most intriguing character in the film of all, Sakura Suzuhara. While Misato and Asuka act cold and distant toward Shinji, Sakura treats him in kind. However, much like his two former housemates standoffish approach masks the compassion they still have for him, Sakura's politeness buries something dark, seething beneath the surface. She clenches her fist when he asks to pilot and tells him there's no way they'll remove his death collar with a troubling expression on her face. What her dichotomy means has yet to be revealed. If it is the polar opposite of Asuka and Misato however, it cannot be anything good.

Much like the final episodes of the TV series, Evangelion 3.0 pushes Shinji to his lowest point where he is utterly disillusioned about piloting and incapable of doing anything. In that regard, the third Rebuild film does a far better convincing job than its television counterpart. The TV show relied in large part on the characters getting worn down by one Angel attack after the next without seeing any positive change in their lives as a result of successful battles. Asuka becomes incapable of defeating an Angel on her own. Rei is revealed to be a clone. Misato loses her emotional support upon Kaji's death. And Shinji has no way of knowing how to understand or react to any of this until Kaworu shows up to comfort him and take his mind off these problems only to betray him and gode Shinji into killing him in the end. To top this all off, he's still expected to pilot the EVA, at which point the whole cast has submerged themselves into their own private pools of suffering.

By comparison, Evangelion 3.0 takes clear, dramatic steps to draw Shinji towards the absolute worst place in his life. The name of the game is clarity. Everyone apart from Shinji knows what happened during Third Impact. They know where they stand, and what they have to do. Without a doubt, everyone went through their own tribulations and came out the other end. That makes this Shinji's journey to the dark side. Rather than everyone tapering off, like in the TV series, Shinji finds himself removed from the action because he is the one most at risk of melting down and causing the greatest destruction.

The Rebuild movies really set themselves apart with the end of Evangelion 2.0 preempting Third Impact, so now everyone understands the score about Human Instrumentality before it happens and are motivated to stop it at any cost. Evangelion 3.0 sets it mark by showing Shinji first hand the devastation his choices cause. This revelation upends all the previous incarnations of Third Impact from the last episodes of the series, The End of Evangelion and the previous Rebuild film because Shinji learns exactly what it is that everyone is fighting to stop. And Evangelion 3.0 holds nothing back about Shinji's role in these horrible events.

He understands all this before getting back in the EVA. He, in fact, refuses to have anything to do with it until Kaworu decides to take the burden of Fourth Impact occurring on himself by taking Shinji's death collar in order to gain his trust. However, trust works both ways, and Shinji, in his desperation to set things right, forgets that Kaworu bears the brunt of the consequences should anything go wrong. It is not just watching as unparalleled destruction he cannot stop unfolds in front of him. It is having to watch the one who trusted him sacrifice himself to stop it. Opposed to the TV series, Shinji betrays Kaworu.

Evangelion 3.0 leaves us at a place we have never been before. The whole cast knows the truth now. (Presumably. I think someone would have to be in a coma not to know about Third Impact. Hell, Sakura was like eight years old when it happened, and she knows the score.) Shinji, just like everyone else, is all too aware of what happens when he gets inside EVA. We have never seen this position before where the absolute last thing anyone wants (apart from Gendo) is for him to pilot again. And for good reason! They have reached a point where they cannot allow him to pilot under any circumstances.

This is how Rebuild sets itself apart from its previous incarnation. In The End of Evangelion, it was all too clear Shinji needed to man up and pilot the EVA again no matter what horrible thing he went through. In Rebuild though, that is no longer the case. What can he do now? Sit by as WILLE attempts to stop Gendo? Can Asuka and Misato protect him? How far is Sakura willing to go to make sure he never pilots again?

I'm sorry this post is so long. I know I have not touched on the Angels, Instrumentality and all that, but I guess that's all the beside the point really. Evangelion is about the characters. I care about the choices they make and what drives them. More than anything, I want to see the outcome of their actions.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I first saw this movie around the same time I saw the third Madoka film, and to some extent my attitudes towards both films are the same: both are very pretty, both are in some ways flawed, and both belong to franchises that I enjoyed but never felt "needed" more installments.

I feel like both of those movies show why being "flawed" isn't necessarily a problem, in an artistic sense. The original series of Madoka was, I think, about as close to "perfect" as a story can be. The third movie, Rebellion, was way too weird and confusing and inconsistent to be considered perfect (or even good, according to many). But it was also more interesting, in many ways, going into self-deconstruction and a lot of moral ambiguity, things the series didn't do because it would have created too much controversy.

Evangelion has never been perfect, but it wasn't trying to be. The original series was infamously a low-budget chaotic disaster near the end, and was more of a self-expression of depression than a deliberate work of art. But clearly it had quite an effect on people, probably partly because it was often bizarre and postmodern; straightforward things aren't usually as memorable, even if they're really good. Uniqueness requires imperfection... you sort of need a balance between the two.

3.33 was actually the first part of Evangelion that I watched (at a con, roughly 3.33 years ago...) and I can certainly see its lack of organization compared with the other two, but the disjointedness of it just made it more interesting. The last paragraph of the review explains it better than I can (though I think it is a good excuse for the poor construction). 1.11 was pretty much a straight action movie; if I'd started there, I probably wouldn't have bothered to continue.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
My problem with 3.33 is simple: Everyone is a major imbecile. Misato and Asuka are at the top of the imbecile pyramid in this one. JUST FREAKING EXPLAIN!!!! None of the crap in 3.33 would have happened if Misato had just freaking TOLD Shinji what happened. But nope... we're going to blame everything on Shinji, treat him like shit and then act surprised when he turns his back on us.

Oh... by the way, remember when Misato was egging Shinji on in 2.22 to do what he was doing? Now all of a sudden it's Shinji who's the asshole?
Also, while being a bitch is sort of Asuka's trademark at this point, she wasn't complaining when she was begging for his help at the beginning of the movie.

Should have named this movie 3.33: You can(not) be this stupid.

And, of course, we can't forget what basically was a "Hi, I'm Ikari Shinji, and this is Jackass" moment. BITCH, HE JUST TOLD YOU NOT TO DO IT!!
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
My problem with 3.33 is simple: Everyone is a major imbecile. Misato and Asuka are at the top of the imbecile pyramid in this one. JUST FREAKING EXPLAIN!!!! None of the crap in 3.33 would have happened if Misato had just freaking TOLD Shinji what happened. But nope... we're going to blame everything on Shinji, treat him like shit and then act surprised when he turns his back on us.

Yeah, it's as if Anno picked and choosed which elements of 2.22 to retain and which to discard. What Misato did in 2.22 ? Forget about it. Let's make it so that she was always against Shinji saving Rei, hey it's the only way to explain rationally her hate towards Shinji in 3.33. Otherwise the conclusion is that she's stupid. Stupid as a mule. Great character arc by the way.

Quote:

Oh... by the way, remember when Misato was egging Shinji on in 2.22 to do what he was doing? Now all of a sudden it's Shinji who's the asshole?

Anno decided. Final word.

Quote:

Also, while being a bitch is sort of Asuka's trademark at this point, she wasn't complaining when she was begging for his help at the beginning of the movie.

Asuka as a character died in 2.22. Whatever walks and talks in 3.33 is anything but her. Laughing

Quote:

Should have named this movie 3.33: You can(not) be this stupid.

The title should be "Anno doesn't give a f___k". That would capture the real substance of this film.

Quote:

And, of course, we can't forget what basically was a "Hi, I'm Ikari Shinji, and this is Jackass" moment. BITCH, HE JUST TOLD YOU NOT TO DO IT!!

It's Stupid Shinji we're talking about. Say no do yes. Say go right, he goes left. Just because he is the walking timebomb courtesy of Anno.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6