• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
In regards to the muted audio, I have that problem with all Funimation Blu-rays. I always need to turn the volume on my TV up to the maximum, and still have trouble understand some of the dialog.
Since I had not seen anybody else mention it before I figured it was caused by my equipment, even though other Blu-rays do not have the problem.

I have the same problem on most of Funimation releases whether its on my tv or my computer. Some are not that bad, but others are extremely noticeable because I have to crank the sound all the way up and then have my neighbors wake up when I switch the tv to something else because I forgot to lower the volume. We aren't the only ones Blu-rayDefinition.com has reviews complaining about audio quality. An example:
009 Re:Cyborg
Quote:
They’ve screwed the pooch, so to speak, on both the original Japanese-language soundtrack in Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and the English dub, also in Dolby TrueHD 5.1, by squeezing the dynamics and mastering it so low that I had to literally turn the sound up 12db above my normal listening levels to get a decent volume going. At least this time around I didn’t have problems with lip synch. Otherwise, the mix itself was actually good, with lots of solid sound effects panned through the surround channels, pretty deep low end, and clean dialogue.
FMA: 2003 BD
Quote:
The release comes with the original Japanese in Dolby TrueHD 2.0 stereo and an English dub in Dolby TrueHD 5.1. While this still suffers somewhat from what seems to be a perpetual issue with FUNimation releases concerning some squeezed dynamic range and low mastering levels, this particular release seems to have some more breathing room than most of their releases. The 5.1 mix is particularly a step up, with a fine use of the surround channels for more than just atmospherics and quirky use of sound effects. Here, we get some solid musical effects panned through, lots of atmosphere, and decent low end in the LFE. While this still doesn’t reach the quality of real reference releases, it is better than usual for the studio.
The reviewer has an OPPO BDP-105, a Playstation3, and Onkyo Receiver.

A different site Blu-ray.com says about audio in FMA:
Quote:
The action elements also benefit from the surround version, with good placement of effects in discrete channels. That said, prioritization occasionally suffers just slightly in the surround mix, with some dialogue sounding somewhat buried for brief moments in some of the noisier sequences.

009 Re:CyborgBlu-ray.com:
Quote:
Amplitude seems a little anemic on both these mixes, which are otherwise fairly similar if not identical in terms of channelization and fidelity. There are some awesomely effective surround moments in the film, including a great outer space sequence that finds Joe trying to solve a little problem with a gun. Even quieter moments have their fill of discrete effect placement, often to quite effective ends. Dialogue is cleanly presented, but occasionally gets buried under the noisiness of the mix.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
After thinking about it for a while, and rereading your review, I had some thoughts I wanted to share.

First, regarding Hideaki Anno specifically. It took me a while to get it into my noggin, clinical depression is a condition a person lives with their whole life. Depression is still a part of Anno's life even though he has taken some drastic, positive turns (marriage, starting his own studio, giving back to the anime and tokusatsu community).

After 6 years of working on Evangelion (10 if you count starting as early as 2002), he was so emotionally drained he could not come into the office for months, according to his statement regarding the new Godzilla movie. It took some much needed support from folks like Miyazaki, Higuchi, and presumably Moyoco to get him back on track.

Now it seems he will pour all his emotional turmoil and frustration into what sounds like it will be a very dark Godzilla movie. (Does anyone else think his new design resembles the skinless Adams in the Until You Come to Me animated short?)

Anyway, back to Evangelion 3.33.

(SPOILERS!)

spoiler[Upon re-watching the movie yesterday, I noted Asuka called Misato Colonel, her military rank at Nerv, rather than Captain, her designation at Will-E. I thought about it until Gendo stated later that Misato acted within the bounds of what he expected. Just like Kaworu believed he was acting against Gendo but instead worked for him, Misato is also dancing to the beat of Gendo's drum. It is possible Asuka knows this, which is why she says at the end of the film they need to go where the Lilin can reach them rather than Wunder or Will-E.]

Rereading your review Zac, I also paid attention to the characters in Shinji's life designated as adults or authority figures like Misato and Gendo that Shinji needed to get away from. In her own way, Asuka has stepped into that role. She no longer even sees him as a peer. She talks down to him like an adult would to a child, at least on a superficial level. However, she does not coddle him. She constantly tells him to grow up.

I may be reading it wrong, but I think Asuka has no intention of going back to Will-E. Furthermore, she may be the presence he needs to figure out what he wants for himself. She already demonstrated that persuasion when she told the robotic Rei to do what she wanted, which is perhaps why she chose to follow them into the great unknown.

Hope that adds something to the discussion. I'll be back if anything else pops up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I liked this review a lot, especially for its focus on how Eva deals with self-hatred, which kind of articulated something I understood less intelligently about the show, connecting Shinji's need for approval with his self-hatred and describing his self-hatred as a kind of delusional narcissism. I think there's a lot I don't really understand about Shinji on anything other than a vague emotional level, and I wish I understood his character arc and what it represents a bit better. Framing self-hatred as narcissism is a pretty loaded move to make that I think would benefit from some unpacking.

My opinion of 3.33 is kind of hyperbolic though: I think it's by far the best Rebuild and approaches EoE in both ambition and execution. I've never really understood the massive backlash to nte and especially Q though so¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I loved the TV series back when I was a teenager, I still have fond memories of it.

End of Evangelion was a flawed movie that still managed to be good, feel unique (despite the existence of something called Ideon, a fact that 70% of eva fans ignore or deny) and give some food for thought despite some clear failings.

This movie however was pure garbage. I liked how 2.22 ended and I was really hopeful for a third one that went in a completely new direction. Boy did I get what I ask for...and at the same time, I did not. I could go on and on about why this movie is one of the worst anime films I've ever seen, but I won't change the minds of those who liked it and those who already hate it do not need me to remember why.

While I think Zac's score is too lenient, at least it was a very interesting review to read and remember the movie (I could only tolerate watching it once when it came out) without having to suffer through it again.

This is one of the times when even if I disagree with the score I had a good time reading the reviewer's POV.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
Framing self-hatred as narcissism is a pretty loaded move to make that I think would benefit from some unpacking.

I mean this entirely seriously, I feel like I could write a book about this, or at least a really long piece. But this review wasn't the place to do it - maybe I'll get around to that sometime in a place meant for personal writing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I mean this entirely seriously, I feel like I could write a book about this, or at least a really long piece. But this review wasn't the place to do it - maybe I'll get around to that sometime in a place meant for personal writing.

I'd be really interested in reading it if you ever do; it's a very compelling idea for a lot of reasons, and seems intuitively right in some ways, but a more detailed description of how that cycle might work, or what exactly is meant by narcissism in this context, would be really cool. And probably helpful for understanding Shinji's character and eva generally.
grouwl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:48 am Reply with quote
Alright kids, promise me that after the next EVA movie, we all gonna get togheter and celebrate the fact that IT NEEDS TO END and WE HAVE TO LET GO...

I was in high school when this thing came out, I was 18 at the time and I was only looking for a cool giant robot show vs aliens. I knew Hideki Anno had no idea where the show was going and he pressed many of his emotional stress (of the time) into the story. But that was 1995, I'm almost 40 now and EVA never left, not like any other show.

Whatever the next movie present itself, always remember that there was never a plot to begin with, It was all Anno's Idea of mixing religion, self-loathing and whatever he thought people would find cool in a sci-fi show of aliens vs giant robots. But here we go with the hook of "angels vs Evangelions" "the end of Humanity" "God hated man and wanted to destroy him, so man created a new God" Goosh. I was so glad when he directed "Ebichu the housekeeping Hamster" after EVA when are we going to have a sequel of that???
Kyon27

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:

Me? I think I'm going to go watch it for the third time. That animation just looks SO good in HD. But I actually have a question? Does the audio for the US release seem a bit... muted, to anyone else? Maybe it's just me, but I felt like I had to blast the volume to its maximum just to be able to discern the film's awesome score. And with such a long time to prepare the release, faulty audio mastering seems kind of like a not-possibility to me.

Yeah, it was absolutely gorgeous on my 75" 4K TV. All three Rebuilds are, actually.

I also thought the audio level seemed kind of low. I had to play it 10-12 levels higher than the other two Rebuild movies. I feel like a lot of Funi Blu-Rays lately have been quieter. Bebop was the same way.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Alright kids, promise me that after the next EVA movie, we all gonna get togheter and celebrate the fact that IT NEEDS TO END and WE HAVE TO LET GO...

I don't think you understand how it works, even before the rebuild series was announced there were still ongoing Eva based projects be they in shorts or non canon manga/visual novel works, and I highly suspect the same will happen after Rebuild is "officially over", and this wouldn't be the first franchise that kept rolling on in some fashion well after the original creator stopped working with the main storyline.

I am not betting it will "go on forever" but I can say it will not simply "be gone" after the final Rebuild release.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
This is likely not in the popular vein, but I think 3.33's final judgement is contingent on the success of the final film. The former came off as more of a bridge or "Part 1 of 2" film, a notion further burgeoned by how it felt as if the film were taking place before what was shown in 2.22's preview of it (which may have also shown some pre-3.33 scenes). It felt like the "final film"/act was split and being told in reverse: starting "in media res" and providing more questions than answers in the first half (3.33), and detailing how everything led up to those events, answering lingering questions, and presenting the finale in the second half (4.0/3.0+1.0 spoiler[(hint?)]/Final). spoiler[(I'm not sure how much stock should be paid to JAE's "until You come to me", which could be either a teaser, standalone, or a collection of discarded ideas for the film (or a wholly discarded one itself).)]

If the final film turns out well and pieces everything together, I think 3.33 will be redeemed and perhaps better appreciated on some level. If the final film doesn't do this, or answer enough questions, or if it goes off on a direction alien to what it was doing in the past three films, 3.33's status will likely remain unchanged, and the tetralogy may suffer as a work and as a whole.

Personally, I thought the film was imperfect and could have been better fleshed-out and told, but was still pretty good and delivered enough resonant and memorable scenes to prevent it from becoming a complete waste. Strangely, I thought that while the animation production was high, it had a sort of "cleanliness" to it that made it feel like I was watching an extended TV episode than a theatrical film. The score also fares better in the latter parts of the movie than in the first 20-30-so minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
@grouwl, another old-time Eva fan here. The show came out when I was 14 or 15 and I remember renting 2 or 3 VHS tapes at time from the video store in case somebody happened to rent the next one. I have no problem with seeing more Evangelion. The original TV series will always be around and for people who really hate the rebuilds that much, you can always ignore the new movies and just stick with the original. (anybody remember the Colony Drop review of 2.22? Smile ) .I know a lot of people who do the same with Star Wars, they just stick with the original trilogy and ignore the prequels and that's fine.

It's only partially true that Anno made everything up. The original show proposal from 1993 already had all the core concepts like the Evas, Angels, NERV, etc and characters planned and brief descriptions for all 26 episodes. In fact, the first half of the show is pretty close to what's in the original proposal and it's only in the second half of the show that Anno does his own thing. Check out the proposal translation on EvaGeeks.

While the original TV series will always be the best for me, I'm definitely enjoying the Rebuild movies so far, and since I have absolutely no idea what to expect at this point, I'm perfectly fine with just enjoying the ride.

@Kyon27, same here. I thought the sound was mixed a little low. It's a strange too, since the sound levels were fine in the Funi BDs for the first two movies. I really had to turn it up to hear the dialogue in some parts.

FenixFiesta wrote:
I highly suspect the same will happen after Rebuild is "officially over", and this wouldn't be the first franchise that kept rolling on in some fashion well after the original creator stopped working with the main storyline.

I think it's very likely as well. Depending on what the final rebuild movie is about, you already could do an entire movie or series about what happened during the timeskip in 3.33.

Sam Murai wrote:
If the final film turns out well and pieces everything together, I think 3.33 will be redeemed and perhaps better appreciated on some level. If the final film doesn't do this, or answer enough questions, or if it goes off on a direction alien to what it was doing in the past three films, 3.33's status will likely remain unchanged, and the tetralogy may suffer as a work and as a whole.

I agree. If the final film manages to tie everything together, then 3.33 will definitely be viewed in a more favorable light. It's possible that 4.0 may give us a flashback of sorts or some explanation of the events leading up to 3.33 (or not). FWIW, even in the original series we didn't learn about the history of Nerv, the Evas, Gendo, etc. until really late in the show.

I'm not sure what to think about the JAE short either. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the ideas from the shorts make their way into the final movie.
Machine Mess

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Probably one of the best, smartest and deepest things I've ever read written in English about Evangelion.

I do think the writer misses out from doing the necessary work of integrating into his critique an explication of Anno's deep and abiding otaku love for animating specifically mechanical detail at an extreme where it becomes an exercise in mind numbing, fugue-state-inducing psychedelic abstraction.

This meta-layer wherein meticulous abstraction of inhuman (even anti-human) mechanization comes vibrantly to multi-planar animated life connects Q's first act to the rest of the film in a way that this review misses. This also points us precisely inward into the terrible depths of the obsessive compulsive dimensions of Anno's / Evangelion's unhinged and unparalleled psychology as it echoes back through decades of anime and tokusatsu history (not for no reason, Eva 3 was shown in its original theatrical release paired with Anno and Higuchi Shinji's Ghilbli-produced tokusatsu short film "Giant God Warrior Appears over Tokyo", a kind of prequel to Nausicaa, the anime version of which provided a major breakthrough in Anno's career).
Penfold1999

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
A thorough review. I found this movie to be kinda "meh" compared to the first and even second ones. I am looking forward to the 4th movie, though from the rumors i have heard, it may be a while for that.

I think an entire movie could/should have been made for the time between the 2nd and 3rd movies, but there would be no Shinji and what would a Evangelion movie be without Baka Shinji.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I need to re-watch 3.33 with the dub (I saw this a while ago before current release). After initially seeing this it made me re-evaluate Eva 2.22 and see it more as setting us up for the events of 3.33. I initially liked 2.22 but wasn't as overjoyed as some fans were, but after Eva 3, I like it a little more. So, I basically agree with what others have said that 3 will probably need to be evaluated again in context to what Eva 4 will bring. Eva 3 will still be uneven to me and not completely satisfying, but its possible I may appreciate it more depending on what the next movie brings.

I would like to see more development of the other characters, but I don't think it will happen unless the fourth is significantly longer or they decide to make a fifth movie. The tv show and EoE movie will probably have a third more run time than the rebuild movies combined at the end and that gives you a little more space for other characters. So fans of some of the other characters might end up disappointed and some of that might be chalked up to the limits of the movie medium. But maybe Anno will surprise us, we'll have to see.

BTW, thoroughly enjoyed the review.
kenrobinson1982

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Great review. I agree with nearly all of it, and some of what you wrote, in particular about Shinji's dependence on Kaworu, made me realize there's depth here that I didn't pick up on.

A few things I, personally found strange were that this film is the shortest of the three yet it really should have been the longest: it's a new world and the characters are now so different that it essentially has to treat them as brand new and introduce them again, yet not enough time is spent here.

The wonky plotting isn't just limited to the first chunk of the movie; the end third has some serious gaffs as well, in particular spoiler[the stuff about these fake spears and Unit-06 being an angel]. Shenl742 made a great point about how it feels like we're missing a whole movie's worth of stuff and how sloppy the exposition was.spoiler[ If Third impact was stopped almost immediately after it started, as seen in 2.22, how was there time for Lilith to break free and lose her head and for there to be some fight with the 12th Angel. Did all that happen after 2.22? How? ] Evangelion plotting does come close to being nonsense at points, but it always made me want to really think about what was happening and find out more, yet here it I didn't; I think it may actually just be nonsense this time.

Strangely, Nerv is still (more or less) fully operational, even to the point where they can build a new Eva, despite not seeming to have any staff aside from Gendo, Fuyutsuki and a couple of teenage pilots. Thematically, the idea of Nerv being deserted works: it sells the idea of a post-apocalyptic setting and serves to isolate Shinji, yet it just makes no sense from a plot standpoint that they could still be in operation.

This, in contrast to how, earlier in the film, it doesn't sell the idea of a post-apocalyptic setting very well. Wille seems surprisingly well-equipped and staffed considering nearly everyone in the world is dead.

Finally, despite the Shinji/Kaworu relationship getting more time here than in the TV series, for some reason, and I can't explain why, spoiler[Kaworu's death had no where near the same level of emotional weight behind it that it had in the show.] Did anyone else feel this or was it just me?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6