• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Love Live! Anime's English Dub to Premiere on US TV Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Holy shit! Surprised Shocked
I will be hanging out with my brother and his fiance tonight! right around then! Perfect introduction to anime right here! Laughing

Seriously though, I would enjoy watching this, but I don't think I'll be able to tune in, unfortunately. That's the problem with TV in general.

My sentiments exactly !!!!!!!! O.O I practically had a stroke when I heard this news just now
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
This is a good example of how to destroy a masterpiece of idol anime. I feel sorry for those with no access to subs.

Screw those guys that are actually excited about this, amiright? Rolling Eyes

Seriously, it's happening whether you like it or not, so please get over it.
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
This is a good example of how to destroy a masterpiece of idol anime. I feel sorry for those with no access to subs.

This is just silly. The dub isn't going to destroy the show, especially since its only airing on a niche network few people get, and most that do get it won't even know it's on there. If one can afford digital cable, and can afford to add MNET to their package, then they certainly can afford the $6.99 it costs to watch the show subbed on Crunchyroll, or hell, it should be free to watch with ads.

7jaws7 wrote:

Vee as Kotori though? I'd tune in just to hear that...

I thought she'd end up being Umi, honestly. Umi and Mio seem fairly similar, so I'm surprised they didn't go that route.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if anyone has played it but Vee actually voices Monaca in Danganronpa Another Episode. I was stunned when I saw that was her as I thought it sounded almost identical at times to Christine Cabanos so I think she's definately capable of pulling off the cutesy voice as she did a great job in that game Anime smile

Heres a clip of Vee as Monaca for those who want to see her voice a higher pitched role, I timestamped the video and there are some slight early game spoilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DFW94Q-0xM#t=3m48s

Last edited by DuchessBianca on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
I'll have to see if I get this channel, cause I'm dying to watch this.

My best girl (Maki), got a a VA I really like, so I'm happy. I can't believe most of the actresses are more or less unknown though. It makes me really nervous for how this will turn out...but then again, with new people you also have the chance to create something amazing fans couldn't have imagined, so I'm going to pray it goes in that direction. Besides Caitlin, the only one I've heard is Erica, and I think she'll fit Nico nicely.

Cristina Vee's been around for a long time - I'd be surprised if you've never heard her unless you don't watch many dubs, but she's had major roles in some major franchises like Madoka (as Homura), K-On (as Mio), and Sailor Moon (as Sailor Mars in the more recent Viz dub). She sang all the versions of K-On's songs that got English translations and did a good job with that, but I'm having trouble picturing her doing Kotori's voice because all the roles I've heard her playing were lower-pitched characters. Like I would've pegged her as a perfect fit for Umi.

Xanthe Huynh is the other one I've heard quite a bit (along with Vee and the other two you mentioned). I wasn't a fan of her K-On performance - thought she went too far into the falsetto range with that one - but she was fine in Madoka Rebellion and Nanoha and I liked her a lot in Yuki Yuna. She does a lot of "cute" voices, so she should be a good fit for Hanayo. At the very least, we should expect a really good "Someone help meeee!" from her.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I think it would be better if they put it on late-night Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon since a lot more people get those channels. Also, in doing so, they could get more viewers.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I think it would be better if they put it on late-night Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon since a lot more people get those channels. Also, in doing so, they could get more viewers.
Nickelodeon would be the worst one to put the show on. They don't even treat their own animated shows right that isnt Spongebob or maybe Fairly OddParents. I don't even think TeenNick would be a good option.

I dont see where they could play it on Cartoon Network. The only anime they air during the day is kids anime series (Pokemon, for example ; i think its the only anime they air during the day) and as far as late night goes, pretty sure Love Live isnt edgy/action-y enough for Toonami. Well...unless they pull an April Fool's prank (not gonna lie, I think that would be a humorously mean prank).
But outside of Toonami, they dont air late-night /evening anime that isn't DBZKai. Adult Swim takes over the CN channel after 7 or 8pm.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:
Adult Swim takes over the CN channel after 7 or 8pm.

To add to that, Toonami on Adult Swim doesn't start until after midnight and it's only on every Saturday.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Some people that I was expecting and am happy to see on the cast list. Also, Caitlin Glass is a pleasant surprise. I know she has been in some other things recorded in LA lately, but I'm still pleasantly surprised. When I was ordering my sets I was a bit concerned that the cast hadn't been announced even though the sets were coming soon, but they look nice and the premium sets are priced pretty reasonably, so I went ahead and ordered them.
flammie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Asian entertainment television network Mnet America and North American anime distributor NIS America announced on Friday that the English dub of the Love Live! School Idol Festival

Just wanted to say that Festival is the mobile game, while Project is the anime.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Cristina Vee's been around for a long time - I'd be surprised if you've never heard her unless you don't watch many dubs, but she's had major roles in some major franchises like Madoka (as Homura), K-On (as Mio), and Sailor Moon (as Sailor Mars in the more recent Viz dub). She sang all the versions of K-On's songs that got English translations and did a good job with that, but I'm having trouble picturing her doing Kotori's voice because all the roles I've heard her playing were lower-pitched characters. Like I would've pegged her as a perfect fit for Umi.

I've heard OF Cristina. In fact, I've met her twice at different anime conventions. But I haven't actually heard any of her performances. I'm not interested in any of the 3 shows you mentioned xD (Well, I'm interested in Sailor Moon, but waiting for the hype to pass so it goes on sale hopefully)
Freyanne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode, and the dub wsnt too bad. Gonna take a bit to get used to their voices before I can make any real judgements on them.

...but not too keen on them (MNet) cutting off the ending song for the episode. Please don't tell me they will do this for the future episodes. Sad
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Dubbed idol anime... Just doesn't seem right at all.

And it's quite amusing that NISA, by official statement, wants to retain the authenticity of the series by keeping the songs in Japanese. Hearing someone speak English and then break out in Japanese singing doesn't exactly feel authentic Laughing.
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
WingKing wrote:

I've heard OF Cristina. In fact, I've met her twice at different anime conventions. But I haven't actually heard any of her performances. I'm not interested in any of the 3 shows you mentioned xD (Well, I'm interested in Sailor Moon, but waiting for the hype to pass so it goes on sale hopefully)

Heh! Very Happy Well it's not like I'm a particular fan, though I'll admit I can't remember ever disliking her in anything. She just seems to coincidentally keep popping up again and again in a lot of the shows that I watch. I just borrowed Squid Girl from one of my friends, and when I checked the dub cast, sure enough, she's in that one too (so is Xanthe Hunyh). Also video games - the first time I ever heard her in anything was actually in Sakura Wars New York for the PS2.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:
Please don't tell me they will do this for the future episodes. Sad

Probably.

And yes, while Love Live might get better viewership on another network, it wouldn't have an audience. The only thing that makes this not fit on MNet is that it's a Japanese cartoon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6