• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I got you.

The hypothesis had also crossed my mind as well, but I wasn't sure whether your post came from deduction or foreknowledge.

Though my personal interpretation was that spoiler[The beast was referring to Puck as its daughter, but then again I didn't remember Puck calling Emilia its daughter. I think you're probably right.]

I figured that either way it was a good time to remind people about source material discussion, which is something that's been a problem on here for other series in the past.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Why is it winter now? It wasn't winter in the previous loop and he got there later. If it's a magical frost storm, again, why only in this loop?

I loved everything about the episode except the over-the-top-ness of the villain. He complained that Subaru was faking madness, but his antics are much more fake. I dunno, maybe that was the point, but I guess I prefer my mad monsters to be more unpredictable in their insanity. People are much scarier when they appear to be behaving normally but then you realize that what they're saying makes no sense and you have no idea where their mines are buried.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Why is it winter now? It wasn't winter in the previous loop and he got there later. If it's a magical frost storm, again, why only in this loop?

Frost magic was used in the defense of the mansion.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I came back to edit that question out, since I realized he got there later in the second loop, having been captured and all. How long he was in the dungeon was unclear, so I thought it was earlier since they were almost there when Rem got the psychic blast, and they stopped overnight going the long way round before. It didn't seem like it had been more than a day that he was captured.
LordMaou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Pretty funny picture for the Appa seller.

Though he has had another "save point" which was in the mansion. Funny though that two of his save points so far has been with this guy.
kryslogan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Subaru's "Madness" and his "Recovery" from it - my thoughts are (as someone who studied pysch and has worked with a few persons experiencing various mental imbalances) that Subaru is not a "normal" person - as someone mentioned before - and his repeated deaths shows that his mental state is such (Subaru is "special" in whatever unique way ne needs to be and this is one such characteristic) that he can experience extremity and recover from it given the right stimuli - we've seen this throughout the series. He is prone to passivity in his natural state and must work at being proactive - so the shock forced him into an inward state - which isn't really a mental breakdown but, close to it, which is why Psycho B was querying him - and Rem's torture and "apparent death" by Psycho Betelguese was the trigger he needed to "come out of it".

At any rate, I thought it was a good interpretation of shock and how someone can come out of it and also showcases that Subaru is not really someone to act for his own benefit (where extreme acts are concerned) but, he can give his all for those he cares about; that is a central tenet of his character.

Everything else mentioned regarding the end sorta jives with my own thoughts.

It was an EPIC Episode, and lifted this story because I was starting to fear it would become predictable (et remain enjoyable).
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I think it was simply that by meeting sloth guy it gave Subaru a face to aim his anger and grief at. When he walked through the mansion before his first death he kept telling himself that it wasn't his fault, which suggests he did actually think it was his fault for something he did or didn't do. Being unable to accept that is probably what led to his catatonic state but he's fine now because he has a specific target to go after.
kryslogan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I think it was simply that by meeting sloth guy it gave Subaru a face to aim his anger and grief at. When he walked through the mansion before his first death he kept telling himself that it wasn't his fault, which suggests he did actually think it was his fault for something he did or didn't do. Being unable to accept that is probably what led to his catatonic state but he's fine now because he has a specific target to go after.

Yes - I agree with you completely Vaisaga; plus I think he needs to feel what he does will make a [positive] difference (quite a double edged sword, which is what these past few episodes illustrated I think). He's a bit more complex now than before, so I appreciate that a lot.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
My guess is that after her tries and fails a few times to stop the attack on his own, eventually he'll have to swallow his pride and beg the knights to help him out, which should result in a pretty big battle to end the arc on.
kryslogan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
My guess is that after her tries and fails a few times to stop the attack on his own, eventually he'll have to swallow his pride and beg the knights to help him out, which should result in a pretty big battle to end the arc on.

Yeah, I can see that and it's sorta par for the course: he has no real skills (yet) and always needs help. I'm hoping he really develops some skills though, he's so lightweight right now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 15

Oh my god. This episode, was so much, just to show us that things could get worse.

My understanding of Subaru is that rather than being left fully catatonic, he was left broken in a way that he wished he was broken, because it would be easier than having to go through things again, so he tried to trick himself into thinking he was insane. The reason it might not have left him actually catatonic could be the traits that make him special, it could be the stuff he has already been through, or it could be the simple fact that the power gives him the chance to go back so he had not fully given up on hope yet.

So the big mystery is what the giant beast is. The most basic clue is to telling Subaru to "sleep" like her daughter, which makes me think that this is indeed something to do with the witch and backs up the possible theory the Emilia is in some way her "daughter". Some popular belief is that it is Puck, although it somewhat confuses me because I assumed Puck was male but the voice was feminine, and I had not picked up that Puck had that type of relation with Emilia. I might forward the theory that if it is Puck, that he has been possessed by some force of the witch.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:33 am Reply with quote
I think it's obviously Puck. He certainly cares about Emillia like one would a daughter so he might refer to her as such. And if she ever did die it's not surprising he'd snap and lash out at everything. He's a high leveled spirit so the kind of power we see is to be expected.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:37 am Reply with quote
You might be right about the potential of Puck after how the people at the palace reacted in hearing the level of spirit she had made a contract with.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the shadow of the both thing had a similar earring as Puck. But do we know for certain that the voice is that giant monster? It could be the witch speaking to Subaru just now, because either their connection is getting stronger from the repeated revives, or because these were the first times Subaru was physically not there on time.

On another subject:

As much as Rem is lovable and loyal, I find her relationship with Subaru rather disturbing.

We know Rem has confidence and self-worth issues because of her history with her sister: When they were young, Ram helped her with everything and was better than her at everything. In a moment of weakness, Rem felt relief that Ram having her horn cut off meant that Rem would no longer be overshadowed by her sister. As penance for her weakness and for repaying Ram's help, she more or less dedicated herself to helping Ram.

Her relationship with Subaru seems almost like an eerie replay of what happened with Ram. Of course, Subaru did not do nearly as much for Rem as Ram did, but she seems to greatly value what he did--trying to save her and affirming her worth as an individual. And her behavior seems at least partly attributed to her moment of weakness--when Subaru pushed her from the dogs, she thought she could have pulled him to safety, but she hesitated and did not. It was penance for that act that drove her to go into the forest for herself, and I do not think she ever let go of that--which was why she identified Subaru as the reason for her to die when she entered the cult headquarters.

In effect, Rem simply acquired another person she felt that she had to dedicate herself to. it is quite similar to what happened with Kaede in Shuffle, and it is about as unhealthy, even though she has not shown any yandere actions toward Emilia.

As for Subaru, Rem dedicating herself to him seems to reinforce the notion--whether he really believes it or not--that he is owed something for saving them. In a way, the argument between Emilia and Subaru at the end of episode 12 was perhaps less a meta discussion about RPGs giving the hero the heroine as a reward than a warning about Subaru and Rem: Their relationship is not heartwarming romance; it is actually unhealthy co-dependence.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
As much as Rem is lovable and loyal, I find her relationship with Subaru rather disturbing.

I don't see that. Whatever his other faults it seems that Subaru earned her regard which was not indiscriminately given yet still given by her own choice. She feels fulfilled while knowing that his regard is for someone else. Further, it is an action completely separated from her sister. Of all the problems going on in this story this seems like it doesn't even need to be on the list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 24