• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kryslogan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Hi all.

Firstly - I've been hovering around and reading for quite a long time but, never registered because I was content to read what everyone else was saying. But, I think it's time I started sharing a bit so here I am.

Secondly, I look forward to Re:Zero more than any other Anime Series I'm presently watching: Kabaneri, My Hero Academia, Bungo Stray Dogs, Twin Star Exorcists, and a few others.

Episode 10, which I just finished watching on Crunchyroll, in fact prompted me to register and make my first post.

I feel like the series has hit its stride and the story is moving along nicely. The characterizations are solid and consistent. Admittedly, I wasn't a fan of the first few episodes as things moved slowly, and I thought the meta-dialogue was lengthy and annoying but, it's toned down some. Now, I'm really enjoying this ride and I can't wait till next week to see what else develops.

On another note, I have been wondering what Subaru's link to the Dragon is and I sort of feel like the hand in the Closing is Subaru's, don't know why but, that's just the feeling I have. Would like to see Subaru develop his Shadow Magic and some fighting skills. have thought that the story, although it started off quite small and intimately, has the potential for something quite epic in scope.

Time will tell I guess Smile

Last edited by kryslogan on Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Another cliffhanger!

It looked good that he managed to get past the last loop, but it is also kind of creating the expectation that he has started the next one and may die again, especially with a deadline set. But could he actually survive this? It kind of raised of stakes of whether he could make it, especially since we almost expect him to lose, and the end was not very specific about it.

Was cool here with Rem going off by herself for Subaru, but also Ram. I am pretty sure I noticed someone sneak one of those fruit into Subaru that can replenish mana, which I was expecting to play a part.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:41 am Reply with quote
If he hits her horn with his sword won't he cut it off? That doesn't seem like it would be a good idea...
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If he hits her horn with his sword won't he cut it off? That doesn't seem like it would be a good idea...

It'll reestablish equality between the sisters, so maybe from that aspect, it's a good thing. OTOH, I'm not sure just how easy it is to break off a horn. But yes, I was thinking the same thing. I suspect that Ram knows what'll happen, whatever that may be. I trust her judgment on this one.
Gin-No-Ji

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
from the preview it looked like the sisters were maids from a young age..? if so how did ram manage to go into harm's way.. roswal looked like a good person that they trust immensely so i'm kinda confused.

also roswal look so fab at the end of the preview.. can't wait to see his magic. and i'm so happy subaru finally used magic! that dark blindness may be supplementary magic but it's really cool.
Terminador_2397

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
After this episode I'm interested in knowing more about the twins especially Ram and the circumstances that led to her losing her horn. Also I'm looking forward to getting more insight into Subaru's curse and what that hand that pulls him means.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
This show just solidified its position as my favorite this season with the latest episode. We got to learn about how Ram lost her horn this week. spoiler[I can really sympathize and relate to Rem as I too have an inferiority complex to my twin (I'm the older twin in this case though).]

This show is either the top or second best LN adaptation I've seen so far in my opinion so far. I hope it keeps going this well.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Within the past few episodes, this show has shifted from simply being "entertaining" to actually pretty damned good under its own merits.
For this batch of releases it is easily a top contender, the anime scene is flooded with this type of genre of alternate dimensions or a variant of "the game becomes REALZ" yet the writing shows off that there is that rare gem that works out because some thought has come in effecient world building and character establishment.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Cam we call that masterful execution?

One of the painful things about Rem is why she self depreciates herself so much compared to her sister, and it was great seeing why it is. She owes her very life to her sister, but with years of living in her shadow unable to meet expectations it is kind of understandable why at the moment her sister lost her horn that she would be kind of happy about it. But her torturing herself over the time afterwards to meet what her own opinions are of what her sister could do, was sad. I like Rem, she might be one of best characters now. I was crying a bit from some of it, and her smile was great.

It was interesting that we learned what the Roswell and Ram moments were, which appears to be Ram relying on Roswell to give her mana/power, highlighting there is nothing wrong with relying on another person. As apposed to what Rem was believing, Ram does rely on others. Interesting that Roswell wants to kill the dragon, perhaps showing that things are not so black and white. Kind of cheered when he showed up in the episode to save the day.

EDIT: Just checked some images, and indeed Rem's bust size is noticeably larger than Ram's. Well I did not notice before, but look at any picture with the two of them and you can actually see the difference. I guess it was never on my mind.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:10 am Reply with quote
So, did Rem lose her horn or not? They kinda skipped over that...
Gin-No-Ji

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:38 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So, did Rem lose her horn or not? They kinda skipped over that...

no, if subaru sliced off her horn she would be bleeding
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, that banter between the candidates at the end was quite a waste of time.

Anyway, zero surprises here - I'm pretty sure everyone suspected it would play out this way an Rein took Felt. Still, nice to see the plot finally progressing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

I don't know about zero surprises. Felt was expected, but that the carriage driver/swordsman knew about people dying more than once was a surprise to me. And I'm not sure that Prissy's belief that the world is designed to her advantage isn't just ruling-class hubris. Not sure what to make of the realm that speaks Kansai dialect. And hearing Keiji Fujiwara made me feel like I already know what Al looks like under his helmet, though I have no real clue.
Smile
Anyway, I enjoyed the whole episode thoroughly, and it was nice to see many pieces falling together, even if new ones were strewn about in the process.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Hmm, that banter between the candidates at the end was quite a waste of time.

I will have to disagree, it is a quick method of establishing characters that will undoubtedly be central to the next narrative arc.

Sometimes it can be difficult to introduce a set of characters, banter between rivals is a quick method to establish relationships as well as individual characteristics between newly presented cast.

If Ram and Rem who have become distinct characters at this point outside of being "meido waifus" I would like to believe the writing has something even more ambitious for a set of characters who intend to take on the candidacy of high priestess of the known kingdom.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I am afraid that Emilia will have to punish Subaru. Most insubordinate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 24