• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stilldemented

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
That scene held a lot of raw emotion. Subaru's actions makes sense more or less on a psychological level.

Subaru is a nervous wreck. That's pretty much all that needs to be said to explain his actions. His experiences with this world have been horrific and dangerous. He's learned to have a healthy dosage of paranoia. He sees enemies everywhere and he's terrified that something will happen and he won't have any power to prevent it.

A lot of the stuff he says comes out in a state of hysteria. He's panicking for a way to stay by Emelia's side because she is cutting ties with him. She believes it is in his best interest to do this, and in all honesty it probably is, but, in so doing, she has unintentionally disregarded every action he has taken to save everyone since transferring to this new world.

Subaru will always be an unsung hero, but he hasn't really accepted that yet because the events he must endure are too grueling and horrifying for his mind to cope. And unfortunately, Satella's Insurance Agency does not cover psychological treatment.

He's just exhausted.

Do I think Subaru is selfish? Oh yeah. That's always been there. But that particular trait has no real bearing on why he had his breakdown. After all, there's no such thing as a 100% selfless act. However feeling overstressed and underappreciated makes every worker a little snippy with the boss. Even more so when they're disowning you.

Miscommunication kicks every relationship in the butt. Love hurts. Laughing

Was he in the wrong? Yeppers. But it made sense to me. Razz

Last edited by stilldemented on Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
There is a slight tone of expected entitlement from Subaru especially nearing the end of the conversation, Emilia may have started the conversation for clarity in regards to Subaru's numerous actions (truth be told even from her perspective Subaru has been a kind of miracle worker for what amounts to a strange commoner) but by the end of the conversation she can only see self destruction as the inevitable outcome for Subaru as he endlessly would commit to reckless actions all in his fervor to stay near Emilia.

The other part is that Emilia wanted someone to have a "normal" relationship with, all of Emilia's current standings are with rivals, diplomatic superiors, rank and file servants, and being half-elf she has her fair share of discrimination against her, if Subaru was more thoughtful with regards to actions and words perhaps Emilia could have still found a means to forgive even the latest reckless act.

To the point, the audience is definitely meant to see that sometimes "pretending to be the Hero" does not mean you are automatically rewarded with "the favor of the fair maiden".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Until he cleared the loot house, he reset to his entry point, then from where he woke up in the mansion. He probably ought to have to deal with the outcome of that breakdown, but if the series keeps to its pattern so far, and unconsciousness/near-death determines where the reset point is, his next death should reset him to waking up just before their argument. So he'll probably get a chance to learn from that fight and perhaps get through it more gracefully.

Unless he gets almost-killed again before being actually killed. Then I guess he'd reset to that point.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

They directly tackled the negative parts of Subaru's hero complex and the way he can act, and it was glorious in a sort of self destructive way. Us, the whole audience, could see that Subaru was acting like a big idiot, and it was not time for him to do this, but it made sense for the stuff he has been through, and really the supposed parts that make him do the good things. Yes Subaru was selfish, and one could point out before this time that his supposed selfless acts could be found in kind of selfish thoughts, because people are not perfect. Emilia is not the goddess like always able to understand person in his head, and Subaru is not super good guy and smart miracle worker that Emilia might have believed. Subaru really did not give Emilia reason to trust her, probably partially out of a paranoia he has gained from his experiences, and that self entitled frame of mind that he felt he deserved things for what he had done was toxic.

I have actually seen it as a bit of a major criticism of the cultural ideal of heroes, the idea that the hero deserves his reward, the princess, after he saves her. It is a toxic ideal, the idea of the girl is an object to be awarded, and in it Re:Zero has kind of gone into an interesting topic of feminism. Or has it gone even further that it is more than gender the fact he thinks that he needs to repay, but also that he thinks he can get something from it.

It was a very emotionally charged episode, but is also very brave and aware of itself. For our hero to act so perfectly stupid despite his character type being an easy insert character of a person from our world going into another, it takes guts.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
Can I say this was a great episode and yet I was still very annoyed with the decisions made?

Subaru was making strides the first 12 episodes. Not major ones mind you, but there was noticeable character development from week to week. This was...ugh. It's like he totally forgot everything he learned and acted like the fearless, entitled buffoon we saw in the beginning.

The best part was him getting beaten down and humiliated by the knight for running his mouth after he got called out on his bullshit. He totally deserved that. The musical tone suggested this was some tragic fate but did anyone actually feel bad for him? He was being an asshole.

For someone that's died over and over again for being naive, how exactly did he think he was going to stand out against actual Knights? It's not like he's never seen one in action. He saw Reinhardt fight the psycho chick.

Very frustrating episode. And him turning into every negative "nice guy" stereotype ever made at the end was the icing on the cake. This was a great episode and I hated it at the same time. Everyone around Subaru made very lucid, rational decisions and Subaru made a complete ass out of himself. I'm done feeling sorry for a guy that can't seem to learn anything important.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
Subaru was making strides the first 12 episodes. Not major ones mind you, but there was noticeable character development from week to week. This was...ugh. It's like he totally forgot everything he learned and acted like the fearless, entitled buffoon we saw in the beginning.

Maybe I missed something but I don't recall any development as far as "fearless, entitled buffoon" was concerned. He's only developed an ability to think logically when forced to reset and the last arc even rewarded his entitlement to saving Rem and Ram (plus everyone else) from certain death. It's not like his underlying impulsiveness, especially in regards to his feelings for Emilia, has been addressed before now.

The only development I noticed was a significant decrease in meta jokes and increase in resolve to help in the face of seemingly hopeless scenarios, the latter of which played out in full effect this episode with disastrous results. Again, I might've missed something though.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is stuff that hasn't really come up before. Several times Subaru has mentioned that he's okay with everyone else forgetting because he still remembers, but this is the first time he's really been confronted with it.

Him exploding over Emilla's treatment was inevitable and I don't think anyone can blame him for that. But when comments of him being unworthy for her popped up he got even more upset because he's literally died for her many times. How could he not be worthy after all that? Of course he can't actually tell anyone about that, which further adds to his frustration. The final straw came when Emillia herself invalidates his actions with a "I never asked for your help." It's not really her fault since she doesn't know the truth and Subaru is unable to inform her.

What he says at the end is pretty cringe worthy, but it comes from an understandable place. Certainly a little close to home for me. I had a friend whom I'd do favors for all the time. If she asked for something I'd be happy to help out but if I asked for the tiniest of favors (like a review on a fanfic) it was like I was asking for the moon. Of course if I called her out on this suddenly I was the jerk for expecting her to put a little effort into helping me out like I had her.

The truth is there's no such thing as pure altruism. We might say we're only helping because "it's the right thing to do" but there's always that sense of self-satisfaction we get from it. "I helped my fellow man so I can assure myself and others that I'm a good person!" We expect our good deeds to be rewarded on some level, be it in life or in whatever version of the afterlife you believe in. It feels terrible when you do your best but no one appreciates it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Him exploding over Emilla's treatment was inevitable and I don't think anyone can blame him for that. But when comments of him being unworthy for her popped up he got even more upset because he's literally died for her many times. How could he not be worthy after all that? Of course he can't actually tell anyone about that, which further adds to his frustration. The final straw came when Emillia herself invalidates his actions with a "I never asked for your help." It's not really her fault since she doesn't know the truth and Subaru is unable to inform her.

Heh, I just got finished saying essentially the same thing over in the review thread. Smile

Like you, this scenario does kind of resonate personally with me. I had a friend who I did a lot of things for, like fixing her car, helping her move more than once, taking her to the emergency room a couple of times, you know, sorta saving her life stuff. Smile I just enjoyed hanging out with her and didn't expect anything in return beyond that (I thought that's what friends do. I don't know anymore, since merely wanting the pleasure of someone's company is now seen as entitlement). Besides, she kind of attracted a lot of really needy people and leeches who sucked up all her energy rescuing them. So after another stint in the ICU, she decided to cut all those people out of her life and start anew, to which I said, "Good for you, about time." But to my surprise, I was among those she cut off. I'm baffled to this day.

So I can definitely relate to Subaru's reaction to Emilia saying all the things he'd done were strikes against him. It's a weird feeling. But being older and somewhat more socially adept at the time than Subaru, and with the added advantage of not feeling abandoned in an unfamiliar city in a strange world with few allies, I was able to wish her well and move on.
Gin-No-Ji

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Thanks. Longtime lurker and glad to be here. o/

I definitely liked what this episode did, pain and all. If this is Subaru's worst, I'll gladly take it.
it's not.. he'll be in worse situations in later arcs.. the creator of this series is a sadist
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Gin-No-Ji wrote:
it's not.. he'll be in worse situations in later arcs.. the creator of this series is a sadist

I meant personality-wise. I hope he's in worst situations. If his personality does get worse though, I am a bit nervous about his general likeability in the future.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
He is not remotely likeable now, so how much worse could it get.

At this point, I'm rooting for Subaru to die again. He apparently still hasn't learned his lesson.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Gin-No-Ji wrote:

I meant personality-wise. I hope he's in worst situations. If his personality does get worse though, I am a bit nervous about his general likeability in the future.

I agree. I don't mind seeing Subaru suffer or end up in terrible situations but if he becomes more unlikable for much longer I don't think I will be able to stick around. At this point no one else can carry the show for me.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
IMO the overall premise is enough for me to stay interested. They've crafted a pretty cool universe.

Subaru getting gutted is almost therapudic l at this point. He's becoming a heel, so the ability to torture him to death and keep things going all over again sorta evens it out.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
Man, was one scene really all it took to get people to turn on Subaru like this?
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Man, was one scene really all it took to get people to turn on Subaru like this?

Which scene are you referring to?

The one where he disregarded every promise he ever made to Emelia?

The one where he embarrassed her in front of her country?

The one where he shamelessly insulted the elite guard of her county and dismissed their hard work and sacrifice, and doubled down by accepting a duel with someone he had no business competing with?

The one where he essentially told Emelia she was his property and tried to shame her for not being in love with him?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 24