• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote

Anyone who's enjoyed this series will find this week's full-length episode one of the best aired to date.

Apart from Sakamoto's clever solutions to the numerous problems faced by himself and his class, he now has a foe which he failed to overcome in the space of one week. Not only that, for the first time since probably the first week he's had to rely on the intervention of others to get out of a tight spot.

Regardless of Fukase's background and how unlikely it sounds, the concept around this character is probably the closest this series can get to something/someone which/who can take on Sakamoto and not get utterly defeated. Sheer force of numbers under the subtle manipulation of a puppet master is one way of overwhelming a perfect albeit single opponent.

Next week is going to be a climbdown since I never took to the stalker mum introduced a few weeks back. Obviously Sakamoto's noticed the difference from the start but the way he disengages the lovestruck female permanently from his school life should be another exercise in lateral thinking and ingenuity.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Good episode, I think they adapted about two chapters about the cultural festival and balloon drama.

Even though I don't like Fukase much, I have to admit that he is a clever bastard for setting up Sakamoto. But as usual, Sakamoto's too OP for his reputation to be destroyed. What an ending lol, brilliant. I just love how he managed to get the boys to confess what they did with his clever strategy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote

I wasn't expecting much after last week's full-length episode, but this week wasn't bad in its own right.

The first half sees the spotlight fall on class president and co. with the theme of their first meeting with Sakamoto. Pretty ordinary stuff showing Sakamoto at his superhuman best, but the punch line for the episode did draw a chuckle at the end.

I was dreading the second half to be honest, since Kubota's mum never got over her infatuation with Mr. Perfect and decided to steal her best chance of getting close to her son's friend. The tofu Rubik's Cube featuring Sakamoto was an interesting trick, but I was surprised at how long it took before Sakamoto realised his friend that day wasn't the person he interacted with on a daily basis. I'm not sure if Sakamoto's final stunt was calculated at getting Kubota's mum to lay off him once and for all, but it did achieve its purpose in keeping his friend's dignity intact.

Next week should be an interesting one what with the episode title and the trailer content featuring Sakamoto and a Karaoke bar.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
Catching a girl's books and holding them like a princess, did make me chuckle.

That second half is kind of crazy. And I thought Sonobe from Sansha Sanyou was bad.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Kubota's mom is a bit strange at times and from one of the previous episodes, she genuinely creeped me out. However, this week's episode was heartwarming. I mean, she really played the role of a good mother and didn't lust after Sakamoto like usual.

The first half with the girls' memories about Sakamoto also had a nostalgic feel to it. Good episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote

Change of pace this week with Sakamoto taking on adversaries older than he is. His lady-killing skills apply equally to his peers and to older ladies, but the series writer was certainly creative in applying a classical solution to the trap set by the two adults. Sakamoto's reply to his aspirations for the future lends further credence to the theory that he's somehow not part of this world.

The second half is quite an unusual one for Sakamoto; what with the second-year head of the delinquents begging him for assistance with a haute cuisine dinner appointment. The solution employed was an interesting one, but Sakamoto's clever manipulation of the delinquent's own psychology working wonders for the escargot dilemma. The twist in this half was an unexpected one, but Sakamoto's solution to resolving the attempted robbery brought quite a few laughs in the end.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote

Two short skits this week but time has certainly progressed since the start of the series and the school year. Atsushi tries to one-up Sakamoto again in snow games but he gets taken out (again) by the impeccably prepared Sakamoto. What makes this half interesting is Fukase again egging on the other students to take out Sakamoto for his own enjoyment.

The second half again focuses on Atsushi, Fukase and Sakamoto. Against the backdrop of a year's worth of class-related photos (some of which would qualify for stalker injunctions), Atsushi again has a crisis of identity which Fukase is happy to exploit for his personal enjoyment. Besides the big mystery as to why Sakamoto is so perfect, the other is Fukase's background and why someone rumoured to be in his 30s is still in High School obsessed with playing the puppeteer for personal gratification.

I've checked the show's schedule and it seems the final episode will be aired after all (there was a news article on this website saying the earthquakes had messed up scheduling enough to stop it from airing but it seems they've managed to fix it). If Sakamoto really is perfect, then he'll find away not only to stop Atsushi but to get the finger of blame pointed at Fukase.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

I like the first segment better tbh mostly because it's just all fun and games with snow. And of course, Sakamoto shows his skills at making that glorious looking snowman.

The second segment didn't impress me as much except that Birth of Venus scene. The ending has me quite curious about Sakamoto's fate though and the PV doesn't show much...
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
#12 End

Graduation day for the third-years and Fukase finally makes his move with Atsushi as his pawn. Despite the odds, Sakamoto still manages to pull off his task without getting anyone into disciplinary trouble (albeit at the cost of a bruised face, dislocated hand and some bleeding).

Sakamoto's solution for the troublesome Fukase is completely unexpected, but a fitting solution based on Fukase's own words being turned against him.

The final scene featuring Sakamoto and his classmates was also unexpected (it appears everyone in class has a deep-lying psychological desire to embarass Sakamoto in some form or another). Being Mr. Perfect, he managed to evade everything thrown at him and walk away with an unused pie in one hand. Still it seems he DID treasure the bonds forged with his classmates for the one year based on the final scene.

The series is not to everyone's taste, but there's no doubt it's an unusual one for comedy (slapstick or otherwise). Viewers never really find out who Sakamoto REALLY is, but his ability to seamlessly make light of any adversity has always been the plank on which the show rests.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

And so ends the show with one of the "coolest" anime leads. It was all fun and stuff, and maybe some good lessons and the like, but lets get real, the series has a flaw. I mentioned it in its own thread, so I will bring the comparison up here, it has been an interesting show with Tanaka-kun is always Listless. Both shows are a comedy featuring about a male character who is pretty different from everyone around them, but happen to be complete opposites to each other, Tanaka puts no energy into anything (except for something that would get him out of effort, and Sakamoto does crazy things that make him the centre of attention in everything he does. While Sakamoto-san looked like the better show at first, I think that it became pretty clear that a perfect character is actually a bit boring, while the clear flaws in Tanaka made him funny and or perhaps relatable in some areas. I might even put the opposites down to company, that Tanaka is around his pretty perfect (although unusual) friend, the company around Sakamoto tends to be drawn a little ugly, like his own friend. While there might have been some interesting points in it, it could kind of feel uncomfortable and a way to continue to prop up the main character.

My favourite character moment of Sakamoto was when he took the ghost hair and made it into extensions, because it actually felt like a character flaw that he did not realise the creepy situation and unknowingly made a situation creepier. That he had every situation figured out is okay at times, but it kinda gets old, like the same punchline over and over again. I can appreciate it at times, but as a whole piece I don't think it is as good, like Tanaka-kun kind of really sold the calming mood, Sakamoto-kun could feel a bit frantic.

I give a rating of Decent (6/10), it is worth some decent fun and maybe a bit of the mythology of this supposed perfect character, but for something that is so frantic it can kind of lack actual excitement.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:58 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
The series is not to everyone's taste, but there's no doubt it's an unusual one for comedy (slapstick or otherwise).

It had some moments. And it had a sort of interesting idea.

But for me they really didn't carry it off. What I liked was the otherworldly quirkiness of Sakamoto himself, plus his never-stress-out approach to every situation. But the gimmick was getting old by episode 11. When we found Sakamoto spending his day directing foot traffic at some insignificant spot it just felt tiresome. Not any level of funny.

And the basic venality of the "opponent" kids who need a life lesson was getting too predictable as well. I had hopes for the guys who picked him up to take him to the mixer. They actually seemed like OK guys to start but of course by the time the story developed they were just as grubby on the inside as ever. And of course Sakamoto took all the women with him. I was hoping he would find some way of adjusting their approach to women but I guess Sakamoto can't do everything. (That opera was pretty righteous though)

I suspect the writers themselves were feeling this. If not then why would they see the need to bring in this 30-year-old super genius high school student Fukup-san?

So although I give this a Decent or better rating I am not really that interested in seeing any more.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale):

That was fabulous. Just when I thought Sakamoto would be in trouble, he turned events around and made everything better again. As usual, the gags in this series makes me laugh like the part with the Knee Destruction Laughing

In the meantime, I thought the finale did a good job with the humor and satirical storytelling. Overall, rating this very good. It was also quite a faithful adaptation on most parts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3