• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
And you thought there is never a girl online? (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
In regards to character interpretation (from information so far) it can be taken that Ako could be interpreted as a less cynical version of Watamote's Tomoko.
Ako's sharp off handed sharp remarks, interpersonal difficulties which end up festering into additional social issues, acting overly attached to relationships due to perceived social neglect.
There is also the nature that Ako's hair style seems to appear... unkempt when compared to our other female leads.

The show will probably just as well shoot this interpretation down quickly, but it would be amusing if it were close to what will be presented.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:01 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Question: does anyone know what Universal Studio's involvement in this is? That's not a name I associate with anime. (The logo and sound are pretty impressive when played at theater quality.)

Universal's logo has been present in various shows for awhile now (Arslan, Seraph of the End). As for what's up with that, Answerman has you covered.

Also, Comcast *ding*
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Well I just watched the 2 episodes that have aired and I like it so far. I've gotten a few laughs out of it. How seriously the show will take Ako's issues remains to be seen. I've tried various different MMORPGs, but I've never really gotten all that involved with end game content or guilds. When it comes to RPGs, I've always preferred singleplayer games. And when it comes to online multiplayer games, I tend to prefer FPS games.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this show, in some ways, is a parody of Japanese gaming culture. Or maybe I'm just underestimating how many people who are like Ako exist out there. Ako's loose screw mentality is pretty funny to watch but, in reality, it's hard to deal with those types so I can empathize with the characters here. I enjoyed how she disrupts the normality of Schwein and Rusian (I'm beginning to feel it's more natural to call these characters by their online handles instead of actual names for some reason). I also really enjoy the relation between Schwein and Rusian. Their "awkward" and "strained" relation in reality contrasts with their closeness online, which is mostly due to Schwein's desire to retain her self-image. But, nonetheless, it's interesting to watch.

Given that we see the opening this time, I feel like I'm getting so much information out of it. The image of some short pink haired girl makes me think that it has to be Schwein's IRL friend/classmate (the one with pink hair, duh). The presence of the teacher in the promo picture and the catgirl/guy Rusian first proposed to reoccuring this episode just hints at it being the teacher. And partly because they established a club, the need for a teacher supervisor and usual "5th" club member makes this seem more plausible.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:12 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
The presence of the teacher in the promo picture and the catgirl/guy Rusian first proposed to reoccuring this episode just hints at it being the teacher.

That would be... glorious.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:42 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
EmbraceMe wrote:
The presence of the teacher in the promo picture and the catgirl/guy Rusian first proposed to reoccuring this episode just hints at it being the teacher.

That would be... glorious.

I'm thinking the same thing but I wouldn't say it's glorious. Look, if it's true then that's the second time that player outright lied to him so it's not the best basis for a student-teacher relationship. On the other hand, it'll give him something over her so they could get an advisor. And she'd just be in there playing with them in person so it'd be a win for everyone.

The more I watch this show, the more I get into it. The show always seems to take an additional step then what it has to do. The girl who he married in the game also goes to his school... but has some issues with reality, serious ones and surprisingly, taken serious. His best friend in the game is his worst enemy at school... yet still acts like his best friend when no one else is there; Without Ako, I'd easily see these two becoming a couple before too long and with Ako, I'd still find it a more believable pairing. Ok, maybe "likely".

And just as he's coming to grips with his game life/real life time with Ako, his earlier crush appears. Considering the premise question... yeah, we get it, they're all going to be girls... I'm more interested to find out why she lied to him than who she is...

Wait, Ako called him by his user name Rusian in class. Why is this show so well plotted? It just has to be a harem!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:10 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Quote:
Look, if it's true then that's the second time that player outright lied to him so it's not the best basis for a student-teacher relationship.

I only see one lie in that case. Being a different person than is suggested by your avatar is not a lie. It is more or less normal. The only lie would be when she denied being female. The part I have trouble with is that he was silly enough to propose online without checking first. I don't play these games, and I'm having trouble figuring out why you would want to get married in the game in the first place. A group to fight with I understand, marriage not so much.

Fun show but Ako is a bit hard to take.
dlm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:52 am Reply with quote
This show is harder to watch than WataMote was.

Not because it sucks. I like the concept, I like the story, I liked DanMachi and OreImo and I see shades of both in this series... but WOW. I have been trying to watch the second episode for the best part of 24 hours now. I just can't do it. I keep getting overflooded with embarassment hormones from empathy with the characters who aren't Ako.

I never got past the fifth or sixth episode of WataMote because of this. Way too much cringing as she digs her hole deeper, completely oblivious.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:58 am Reply with quote
@Alan45

What's very interesting (to me, at least) is that the show implies they don't use voice chat, i.e. Mumble/Skype/Ventrillo, etc.. Otherwise, Rusian wouldn't be so surprised that they were actually girls.

As for the marriage question, it's a bit tricky to explain. There are people who fall for the pixels as bizarre as it sounds. There are also people who become captivated with the online persona. But without voice chats, it's a lot of projecting how the person might be. Speaking from personal experience, nearly a decade ago, I was enamored by the way "girls" (some of them turned out to be females, others not) chatted (typed) online -- the overusage of emoticons such as "Anime smallmouth , -_- , x.x. o_O, etc.". Wouldn't say I fell in love with them but I had a bit of crush but I was young, naive, and new to the internet. The internet is a strange place. If my prediction of who the catgirl/once-proposed-to-girl turns out to be wrong. I'll be curious as to how they handle catfishing. I've also have experience with that but that will be a story for another time.

Also, some games have marriage systems where both players actively benefit from it. I think examples might be MapleStory which I've never played. You can also marry characters if you develop a strong enough bond in Fire Emblem: Awakening but I've not gotten that far.
dlm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
...Did he just hold his right hand out by the wrist and say he was going to shatter her illusions?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
@EmbraceMe

My wife's younger brother and her nephew use some form of voice chat when they game. On is in Florida and the other in Virginia. I find this hard to wrap my mind around since I date from when communication at that distance would be a long distance phone call and expensive as hell.

For what it is worth, as soon as I saw the cat girl at the end of episode two I came to the same conclusion you did, that it is the teacher. It will be interesting to see if that is correct.

Concerning "catfishing" (I had to look the term up) I don't think it has occurred yet. Having an avatar that is unlike you is hardly unusual. If it is the teacher, claiming to be an older male sounds more like the sort of white lie intended to avoid an awkward social situation than a form of deception.

Given the premise of the show I think it would be extremely funny for him to find out that the girl who turned out to be a guy was actually a real female and to top it all, that he had in effect proposed to his homeroom teacher.

As far as falling for the pixels goes, it happens to people in anime all the time. I see no reason why someone couldn't have a crush on a well rendered game avatar. What I find odd is attempting to declare your love unless you are as messed up as Ako. As to marriage, if it is part of the game play and has advantages to both, I can see it as a cynical move to get that advantage regardless of the gender of the avatars much less the people behind them.

In various manga, I've seen Ako used to denote "girl A" does anyone know if that is how her name translates here?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
In various manga, I've seen Ako used to denote "girl A" does anyone know if that is how her name translates here?

Now that I think about it, "ko" seems to be a common Japanese way to denote a female name, and her name is literally just "A" before it. Might be the first hint of a character trait in a complex of being a background character and ignored, or maybe even trying to create defining traits around others. Why she has taken her game persona that has worked as part of IRL relationships, which is my current though in how she seems a lot more reserved when she runs into him when not knowing who he is.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Regarding her name, Wikipedia lists it as 玉置 亜子 (Tamaki Ako). In Japanese, "子" is read as "shi" or "ko" -- it depends on what other kanji it's pair up with. The former is usually a Japanese rendition of the original Chinese pronunciation and the latter the Japanese reading. Literally it means "child". I don't know much about the "A" (亜) of "Ako" though but here's what Wikitionary says about it.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:57 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The character's name, 亜子, is pronounced あこ (Ako). The term for the generic girl A, A子, is pronounced えいこ (Ei-ko, after the Japanese pronunciation of the English name for the letter. It's pronounced that way in Project A-Ko because the names of the three main characters in that anime were explicitly inspired by the manga convention. In this anime it's just a normal Japanese name: one of the sisters in Kiss x sis is named Ako and it's not like she's treated as a background character. I think y'all are reading too much into it.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Now that I think about it, "ko" seems to be a common Japanese way to denote a female name, and her name is literally just "A" before it.
While some commentators, like Lafcadio Hearn, do suggest that at least until the late Meiji era the "ko" suffix was seen as more of a title than a part of the name, nobody thinks that way nowadays. Nicknames and the like may drop it, but it's still an integral part of the name that appears on all official documents. This isn't an U Thant situation where foreigners mistake an honorific for a part of the name; the Japanese have been making the same "mistake" for at least a century Smile

Quote:
In Japanese, "子" is read as "shi" or "ko" -- it depends on what other kanji it's pair up with.
At the end of female given names it's "ko" 99.9% of the time.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

So Ako still has trouble telling the difference between game and reality...lol.
Decent episode and we also learn a bit more about Nekohime. Hopefully she becomes more relevant this season.

The game club idea is actually neat now that I think about it considering that it develops a good connection between the guys and girls. Oh and the RPG gimmicks of this show is kinda fun to watch so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5