• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Six Completely Dissimilar Twins

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
Shion and Suo Pavlichenko! Those two epitomize this for me.

Although, Suou is a copy created by Shion since the original Suou died long ago.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I think Hideyoshi and Yuko are the one of the funniest examples of this, with Hideyoshi being kind and approachable compared to Yuko's standoffish manner plus Hideyoshi's a guy and Yuko's a girl but Hideyoshi's the one all the boys love Anime smile + sweatdrop

EricJ2 wrote:
As for "dissimilar", I didn't even KNOW Kagami and Tsukasa in Lucky Star were supposed to be polar-opposite "One moe, one tsundere" twins (well, they both had purple hair, but who doesn't?) until the script bothered to mention it.

Yeah, I was thinking that too
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if you could toss 'Figure 17' into the mix. for the most unlikely twins, Tsubasa and Hikari. While not necessarily twins in the biological sense of parenting. But they are share the same genetic make up and are total polar opposites of each other. Tsubasa, the main protagonist is a shy girl who is someone an introvert. When Hikari comes into play we can see how different they are. As she is very much the opposite of Tsubasa. And it is she that manages to get Tsubasa to move forward and be part of life. When both are combined they become Figure 17 and even that becomes a challenge when Tsubasa begins to regress somewhat. But once they get over that hump they become effective in their battles with the Maguar.
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Mion Sonozaki and Shion Sonozaki from Higurashi.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
AnimeMaine wrote:
Mion Sonozaki and Shion Sonozaki from Higurashi.

Nah, they belong on the list of "completely identical twins" more than this list. spoiler[They take each others' places, fooling other characters... to the point that some don't initially believe they are twins, and not a single person. No way Vash pretends to be Knives, right? *ion turn out to have somewhat different personalities, but they aren't "completely dissimilar."]

And spoiler[that fingernails thing... that's totally not how polar opposites behave.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:12 am Reply with quote
While I wholeheartedly agree about Johan and Anna being dissimilar twins, Johan wasn't "doomed at birth." Had the adults in control of them made difference choices, Anna could just as easily have become the psychopath and Johan the normal one (and she can be every bit as terrifying as her brother when she gets well and truly pissed). This was definitely a case of nurture winning over nature (regardless of whether you believe the twins were evil at birth or not).
BankaiKitty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:23 am Reply with quote
Another set of twins that comes to mind is: Hiei and Yukina from "Yu Yu Hakusho". They are one of my favorite sets of twins.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:24 am Reply with quote
Definitely was not surprised one bit that Anna and Johan Liebert were #1. I would not have accepted anything else. Then again, with Johan being the force of pure evil that he is, it's not hard to be totally dissimilar from him.

JaggedAuthor wrote:
I'm actually surprised Osomatsu came out ahead of Todomatsu. In many of the Japanese polls, he's dead last.

Different cultures, different tastes. In popularity polls for Bleach, Toshiro Hitsugaya is near the top in Japan but near the bottom in the Anglosphere, with Kenpachi Zaraki the other way around.

Merxamers wrote:
Man, I don't think ill read or watch To-Love-Ru Darkness, but I can't help but respect its upfront-ness in being maybe the only true "harem series" by actually trying to form a literal harem. Gotta give props when that kind of series fully acknowledges its own ridiculousness.

I feel like that archetype has been something of an unbuilt concept. Tenchi Muyo!, the one that made harem series popular, had the idea as the central source of humor and always played up how improbable and ridiculous it is that various beautiful women from space would all wind up living in the same place. I guess people who took to the harem formula didn't care about that absurdity and focused on the wish fulfillment aspect instead.

Ali07 wrote:
Also, the twins from Durarara! surprised me when I first saw them. Okay, maybe they themselves didn't really surprise me, it was the fact that they'd make out that surprised me.

Yeah, that twincest was right out of the blue (and, if I recall correctly, out in public). But I guess it's the first hint that they, like every other major character in the series (and pretty much everything Ryohgo Narita writes), aren't quite right in the head.

jr240483 wrote:
Also i wont be surprised if the Cursed Sword gets chosen in this week's poll. personally i prefer the Z movie, then the 8th. while strong world is good , was a little too goofy for my taste. especially when it came to shiki. though the 8th movie was definitely a good movie (even though it really altered some parts from the anime version of the alabasta arc). especially on the US side since it was the debut of Funi's VA and MOST IMPORTANTLY , the rest of us can finally expunge the atrocious version from the horror that is 4kids into oblivion

I understand the One Piece fandom. I 100% guarantee it will be either Strong World, Z, or Baron Omatsuri. None of the others even come CLOSE to the amount of acclaim these three get.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
While I wholeheartedly agree about Johan and Anna being dissimilar twins, Johan wasn't "doomed at birth." Had the adults in control of them made difference choices, Anna could just as easily have become the psychopath and Johan the normal one (and she can be every bit as terrifying as her brother when she gets well and truly pissed). This was definitely a case of nurture winning over nature (regardless of whether you believe the twins were evil at birth or not).

Anna is also just as much Johan's equal in her skill at manipulating people to get what she wants and deducing things on the spot. She just has the moral compass normal people have and prefers not to talk people into killing themselves. That, and Johan messes around with Anna a lot. It all comes down to restraint and personal goals (whatever Johan's goals are).

BankaiKitty wrote:
Another set of twins that comes to mind is: Hiei and Yukina from "Yu Yu Hakusho". They are one of my favorite sets of twins.

I actually forgot they were twins. I remembered they're siblings, but not that they're twins.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
BankaiKitty wrote:

I actually forgot they were twins. I remembered they're siblings, but not that they're twins.

it's easy to forget because the entire series series estabilished them as half-siblings from the same father,but the final arc ret-conned them as being twins
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:40 am Reply with quote
This List really hits home for me since I have an identical twin brother myself and just to let you know all of the twin stereotypes are FALSE. Wink
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
Also, the twins from Durarara! surprised me when I first saw them. Okay, maybe they themselves didn't really surprise me, it was the fact that they'd make out that surprised me.

Yeah, that twincest was right out of the blue (and, if I recall correctly, out in public). But I guess it's the first hint that they, like every other major character in the series (and pretty much everything Ryohgo Narita writes), aren't quite right in the head.

Laughing I'm pretty sure it was in public. But, as you said, a lot of characters are messed up...and it's not like the series didn't have a bit of an incest angle before they came along. Though, earlier, there was no action undertaken, just an expressed desire (here's looking at you, Namie).
Korogoro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:48 am Reply with quote
Jyuushimatsu is best matsu to be honest, I'm glad people know that.
Kisuru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
Also from older CLAMP manga Tokyo Babylon are Hokuto and Subaru. Hokuto is outgoing, loud, and doesn't mind making rash decisions. Subaru is much quieter by being shy, introverted, and too painstakingly polite for his own good.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:13 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit late but what about Saya and Diva from Blood+? They are pretty the polar opposite of each another.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:44 am Reply with quote
Ah, the Orihara twins. I've always liked their schtick. I just wish they did more. They've just been spectators for way too long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3