• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: The Past, Present and Future of Dragon Ball

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I understand the complaints about DBS' animation, but I think that's precisely why we haven't gotten it officially over here yet. Toei's DBS staff is stuck with that annoying Japanese production system, which results in less-than-ideal on-air episodes, but it's obvious that the worst parts of the animation will be fixed for the home video release... Which is the version that will be put out in areas like Europe & the Americas.

Except there are people who bought the Japanese Blu-ray releases and other than episode 5, Toei hasn't fixed anything else.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

like it or not, if a US company like CN gets involved in an anime production or becomes a member of the production committee, the otaku community tends to avoid those said series like the plague which is was the case for IGPX.

That sounds like they're doing it out of sense of being spoiled.

NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
DB never had tolerable animation, art or character design. It always had stiff animation. Even Fate Zero S2 had better visuals and animation than Resurrection Freeza and that was the cheaper, RUSHED part of a TV show.

DBS is continuing the mediocrity that is shonen anime.

Hahahaha no just no.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
It's similar to Sailor Moon Crystal, which I've read does look notably better in its home video version (which is the version that got aired on Japanese TV, since it was originally an ONA), with the only difference being that we were given the original ONA version. The same can be said of Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold, too, but that show wasn't anywhere near as rough, animation-wise, as SMC to start with.

From what I've seen of Crystal's Blu-Ray's fixes, I think it actually looks even worse than the web version, with more errors even, yet when I've looked at Soul of Gold's, it's the opposite... Confused
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Except there are people who bought the Japanese Blu-ray releases and other than episode 5, Toei hasn't fixed anything else.

Well, I was mainly going off of what seemed to be a reasonable assumption here. We'll just have to see what Toei continues to do in terms of fixes from here on out.

Sailor Sedna wrote:
From what I've seen of Crystal's Blu-Ray's fixes, I think it actually looks even worse than the web version, with more errors even, yet when I've looked at Soul of Gold's, it's the opposite... Confused

It probably depends on the specific scene, because I've seen a few images from the BD release of SMC compared to the web version, & it looked very much improved. Meanwhile, I haven't seen what SoG looks like on home video, but that's mainly because I was mostly fine with how it looked; the really notable errors I noticed could easily be fixed.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I agree; there are scenes that were improved on Crystal, though there were ones that looked worse.

You can see SoG comparisons on this Tumblr blog called "Amusing Saint Seiya", just search "soul of gold".
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:51 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
DB never had tolerable animation, art or character design. It always had stiff animation.

Nonsense. Dragon Ball has had plenty of amazing peaks when it comes to animation quality. Much of the Goku vs. Vegeta fight still holds up to this day and most of Dragon Ball: The Path to Power looked stunning. Even Dragon Ball Super has had its moments. But those scenes are few and far between compared to the generally consistent fight choreography seen in the original anime series.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
Nozarashi wrote:
So why is Toei one of the only large studios that suffers from this kind of animation? You would think that with DBS, One Piece, and Sailor Moon Crystal they would have the budget to hire talented animators and not some "newbies". Either way this interview came off as very pretentious. They acted as if they were being criticized for no reason.

Sunrise has issues as well (even if Toei is usually worse), and if you consider Shaft a big company, it's outright infamous.

It's partly because Dragon Ball is more famous that people notice it more, and because they do so many shows at once. Off the top of my head, they are working on One Piece, Precure, and Digimon Tri as well.
A Man named RJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Nozarashi wrote:
So why is Toei one of the only large studios that suffers from this kind of animation? You would think that with DBS, One Piece, and Sailor Moon Crystal they would have the budget to hire talented animators and not some "newbies". Either way this interview came off as very pretentious. They acted as if they were being criticized for no reason.

They would NOT have the budget. In fact Toei being one of the larger studio often gets a lot of people poking their finger into their productions resulting in slower planning and thus a poor project. you cant just throw money into something, especially when this guy just finished saying Hiring more and more animators is becoming a ridiculous burden.

Currently the people financing and planning this show, and one piece is Fuji tv.
GyallicGirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Time has NOTHING to do with it. There are thousands of animators working with the same exact conditions and produce quality anime.. but whatever, hopefully someone corrects this for the American release if ever. I kinda miss the gore as well..
A Man named RJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
GyallicGirl wrote:
Time has NOTHING to do with it. There are thousands of animators working with the same exact conditions and produce quality anime.. but whatever, hopefully someone corrects this for the American release if ever. I kinda miss the gore as well..

If you think time has nothing to do with the production of quality animation, then you are very uninformed to the process of animation, especially in Japan. Dragon Ball Super's production conditions are awful to say the least. people are getting their assignments really late because of poor planning planning. There are so many shareholders just squeezing the life out of this series, and ALL of them have to reaach compromises on how things get done.

So tell me something: Your career gets you paid essentially 8 dollars an hour. You finally manage to get a job that has to be in by a certain amount of time HAS to be completed. you have to animate roughly 3 cuts (lets say 20, 10, and 42 seconds each( moving at your standard 12 FPS thats 120 drawings per second excluding holds, repeats, and the couple of times when you work on the 3s) in the span of less than a week to make up for lost production time (planning pitfalls).

What happens to your artwork when you now have to RUSH? and when you answer that you can tell me time has nothing to do with it. Some Shows fall victim to the bad timing, others (mostly 1 and 2 cour shows) dont tend to nearly as badly, but they also have a LOT more time to work. Super was behind by episode 4 (which was delayed if you forgot)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
SuiSeiKen wrote:
Quote:
Do you think the Japanese industry is producing anime beyond its means?

Hayashida: Yes, this is a real dilemma.

Well, not exactly. YOU are producing anime beyond YOUR means.

How many, currently ? One Piece, Mahôtsukai Precure, Dragon Ball Super, World Trigger, next season of Sailor Moon Crystal, and movies.

Again, because you're working on too many projects, guys. And that's why young animators cannot be mentored by the animation supervisors.

While I don't disagree he personally may have too much on his plate if you seriously think the current output of anime each season is profitable and sustainable in the long run I would say you need to re-evaluate that line of thinking. The Japanese anime industry is clearly producing more anime beyond it's mean of sustainability. He is not wrong on that at all. Hayashida just does not realize he's part of that problem himself.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:08 am Reply with quote
Hayashida is just a producer himself. He doesn't run the company. His job is to oversee a project. New projects are begun because the studio needs to make more money to keep its staff paid. Guys like Morishita Kouzou, who run the studio in general, are the ones who need to think about its future, which is why they keep taking on new projects.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3