• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - When They Cry Season 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDude042

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Ideally one should learn Japanese so that you can appreciate the original work in all its subtetly. Subbed stuff is preference to dubbed because you preserve the most of the original work,

I don't know any Japanese other than from what little words/phrases I've picked up from watching anime for over a decade now, but I know enough to tell a literal translation from someone putting their own spin on things.

Jose Cruz wrote:
also there is the fact that American dubs are really bad in general. Original voice acting tends to be vastly superior.

Even though I'm a die hard advocate of watching anime in its Japanese audio, that's a pretty bold generalization to be making. Are you really trying to imply that the English dub of something like Cowboy Bebop is "really bad?" Or did you just say that without thinking? If you haven't heard the dub to Cowboy Bebop, then you might want to hold off on making that kind of statement.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
. . . also there is the fact that American dubs are really bad in general.

I am not going to engage in the 857th iteration of the dub v sub war.
I will just point out that what you said there is not a fact. It is your opinion.

Zalis116 wrote:
If you want to encourage Sentai to dub Kai/Rei, buying the sub-only versions is more likely to do that than not buying them.

I agree. If the subtitled release sells well they are more likely to release it again with a dub. If the subtitled release does not sell they will probably think that there is not enough demand to justify the extra expense of the dub.

Not everything that sells well subtitled will be dubbed, but it does happen sometimes.

It happened with Maid Sama!, Mayo Chiki!, Princess Resurrection, and Tears to Tiara. Also Kashimashi ~ Girl Meets Girl, but that was from Media Blasters.
I bought all of those subtitled and enjoyed them enough to buy them again when they were released with a dub.
I like to believe that my purchase of the subtitled releases helped to get them dubbed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Time to get them to do a Kickstarter for the dub? Laughing

Also, are there people out there that hopes subbed When They Cry fails in order for it to get a dub? I saw the post here...but is that actually what a group of people out there think?
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
When They Cry is great stuff, it perfectly taps into the paranoia and horror of the fact that you can never really truly know and trust someone 100%

The cheesy dub is actually part of the appeal to me, I've yet to watch the second season since it was never dubbed, but I guess I'll just have to get over that and watch it subbed.

Zalis116 wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
Even back when Geneon first released it, Higurashi suffered from being the kind of show most popular with a notoriously anti-R1-industry segment of the fanbase. Similar to others like Strawberry Marshmallow, Popotan, Nanoha, and Rozen Maiden, it's the kind of popularity that doesn't translate to sales.

Is this "notoriously anti-R1-industry segment of the fanbase" you're referring to 4chan by any chance? Razz
MrBonk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:01 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry folks. There aren't enough fans (Who actually buy these things rather than moaning) to justify a hugely expensive dub for Higarashi.

It's baffling you won't watch it with a dub. It's there, and it's available in English with subtitles. That should be good enough.

They've more than likely already wasted hundreds of thousand of dollars just licensing and releasing it as is. Doing a dub would be suicide. There's a reason why they don't do that many dubs any more.

You aren't a real fan if you won't watch something you love just because it doesn't have a dub for an obviously niche product that isn't going to make a ton of money anyway.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Ah Higurashi again. Still fond memories. Maybe I'll pick this Blu-Ray up.

Any news on Kai yet? Haven't heard much on that.

no kidding. definitely gives out good old nostalgia from the Pioneer/Geneon era. Also Iria the animation is definitely a oldie from the past all the way back when central park media and us manga corps was around, and when Sci Fi was running anime every saturday morning like two boiled eggs on a sunday. that movie definitely should be considered shelf worthy for the next shelf life. though not too fond of psycho pass 2. should have ended with season 1. definitely should be at least a rental. and of course YGO GX is 1000% perishable all the way which in the otaku community is now the norm for series that have been americanized into crappy ass kids shows. stick with the sub versions ,but are the ones from crunchyroll fansubbed or official? cause i haven't heard of any YGO series getting an official subbed version after 4kids failed at it in grand fashion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Bloodgod wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
I'm disappointed in Sentai for not redubbing season one and dubbing season 2.

Yeah, that would have been nice. Or at least try to get the original cast back together for S2 somehow. Not sure they are all even still active though.

I'm very much a Dub guy, but I absolutely had to know how the story ended, so I did watch the second season subbed. Sooo glad I did too.

That said, I'm not sure why everyone praises it so highly over the English dub, neither is particularly stellar to be honest. Though, the JP actresses for Rika and Miyo did stand out to me at the time.

You know, with Escaflowne's re-dub succeeding for Funimation, Sentai might want to take a look into possibly setting up a Kickstarter to get both seasons re-dubbed. Higurashi is a popular series, so I could possibly see there being a demand for it.
GEO9875

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:45 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

You know, with Escaflowne's re-dub succeeding for Funimation, Sentai might want to take a look into possibly setting up a Kickstarter to get both seasons re-dubbed. Higurashi is a popular series, so I could possibly see there being a demand for it.
oh heck yes to this, i would love it, would happily shell out 400 dollars for a kick starter to see the ending in dubbed. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3