• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - When They Cry Season 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I'm disappointed in Sentai for not redubbing season one and dubbing season 2.

As much as I love higurashi sentai is trying to play it safe. Keep in mind this series did not sell well enough to warrant funi to license the second season. Hell I'm just happy to see that Higurashi is finally getting a second chance in the west now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
I'm disappointed in Sentai for not redubbing season one and dubbing season 2.

As much as I love higurashi sentai is trying to play it safe. Keep in mind this series did not sell well enough to warrant funi to license the second season. Hell I'm just happy to see that Higurashi is finally getting a second chance in the west now.

I don't know about playing it safe by not dubbing it. It's fairly popular, but nobody really buys anime these days (we at ANN are a rare breed). I think if they had dubbed it and gotten Toonami to air it on TV, they would've been set for life. Anime hyper
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
It's just there as an excuse. Maybe also as a metaphor of some sort but I'd have to see season two to find out how true that could be.

not a metaphor but it's one of the things I love about when they cry, it is not spelt right out, but something that you can deduce with info from arc 3, then arc 7 shows it a few more times spoiler[they made the club to keep satoko away form her uncle as long as possible]

James_Beckett wrote:
The translation seemed like it tended more towards the "faithful translation" end of the spectrum, which made some of the wording read a little oddly, but again, nothing so much that I felt compelled to highlight it specifically for the review.

since this is a quasy mistery, that kind of translation is the preferred one as liberties are likely to create plotholes like the unborn/still birth debacle in when they cry 3.0.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Haha. In Japan a volume of 2 episodes on bluray is more than 50 dollars. It seems weird to complain about a 26 episode complete set for that price. Even the retail price (though you can get it cheaper) of shows like The Simpsons is around 40 dollars on DVD.
GEO9875

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
A shame s2 of when they cry was never dubbed, as a dub only anime fan i would probably never know how the story ended.... oh well... Crying or Very sad
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
GEO9875 wrote:
A shame s2 of when they cry was never dubbed, as a dub only anime fan i would probably never know how the story ended.... oh well... Crying or Very sad

Well Might i recommend reading the manga or playing the visual novel then?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Ideally one should learn Japanese so that you can appreciate the original work in all its subtetly. Subbed stuff is preference to dubbed because you preserve the most of the original work, also there is the fact that American dubs are really bad in general. Original voice acting tends to be vastly superior.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
^

I agree that Sentai Filmworks' dubs are mediocre at best, but as proven, there are some fans who will only watch anime dubbed. I have a friend who refuses to watch the sub of Gash Bell or read the manga even though the dub stops at episode 104 anyway. I have a friend who refuses to watch Tokyo Godfathers because there is no dub.

Putting an English dub on Higurashi, even if it's a crappy Singaporean dub (god forbid) will only broaden its fanbase.
GEO9875

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote

I didn't knew about the manga, thats a good alternative, and is the VN dubbed? or does it even have voices?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Ideally one should learn Japanese so that you can appreciate the original work in all its subtetly. Subbed stuff is preference to dubbed because you preserve the most of the original work, also there is the fact that American dubs are really bad in general. Original voice acting tends to be vastly superior.

I wouldn’t use the word ‘Ideally’ as it is not practical for most people, and especially with your friends and family with whom you might want to share your anime watching pleasure, but who are not sub-title friendly. I am kinda lucky in having two family members who enjoy watching subbed programming.
I think it is more of a lofty goal.
I also, disagree with your dub statement. There are some real good dubs out there. Things are probably closer to a mixed bag, than being just plain bad in general.

GEO9875 wrote:

Well there is not much difference between that and just reading the subs. I must have watched the fan subs, since I remember finishing the series.

- -

As to Brother's Conflict, sounds more like it should be named "I Can't Believe I Am Going to Marry my Step Sister".
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:55 am Reply with quote
I'll be picking up the Iria re-release soonish. One of the few nineties OVAs with Aya Hisakawa in the lead role that I haven't seen yet.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I wouldn’t use the word ‘Ideally’ as it is not practical

actually, I think that's teh reason he used the word ideally, like that's the ideal case even fi it's not practical; I watch show not on my native language and that is indeed the ideal way even better than subs.

GEO9875 wrote:

I didn't knew about the manga, thats a good alternative, and is the VN dubbed? or does it even have voices?

I don't think the VNs are dubbed, though I suggest the manga regardless of that as te VNs have pacing problems, as in the pacing is TOO slow,the manga has the ideal rythm as the anime is rushed.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Synopsis: When Emi's father remarries, she suddenly finds herself with 13 new gorgeous stepbrothers. The guys are all out to win Emi's heart, but will they end up competing for romance or coming together as a family?

Ema, not Emi
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
RightStuf shipped Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun out early ahead of street date, and the premium collection is quite nice, especially with the translated hardcover book. (Only thing missing from the Japanese release is audio commentary by the seyiuu.)

I learned an interesting fact from the book - Nozaki-kun had the voices pre-recorded, with actors working from storyboards (and sometimes separately) and then the final animation done to match their lip flaps. It allowed for more ad libbing. That's the typical US cartoon style, but pretty unusual for an anime.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I don't know about playing it safe by not dubbing it. It's fairly popular, but nobody really buys anime these days (we at ANN are a rare breed).
Even back when Geneon first released it, Higurashi suffered from being the kind of show most popular with a notoriously anti-R1-industry segment of the fanbase. Similar to others like Strawberry Marshmallow, Popotan, Nanoha, and Rozen Maiden, it's the kind of popularity that doesn't translate to sales.

louis6578 wrote:
Putting an English dub on Higurashi, even if it's a crappy Singaporean dub (god forbid) will only broaden its fanbase.
But then you'll get people refusing to buy it because they don't want to fund or cross-subsidize a low-quality dub. Heck, even the existing dub is apparently bad enough that some have mistakenly blamed it (along with Fighting Spirit's dub) for causing the downfall of Geneon. While Geneon was already on the rocks by that point, one of the central lessons of the mid-00s bubble era was that while dubbing increases sales, that increase often isn't enough to recoup the costs of dubbing, and thus dubbing everything is not a wise move.

James_Beckett wrote:
A/V wise the set is pretty standard for a release from the early 2000s.
The first season aired in 2006, not the oft-maligned-on-ANN early-00s.

Raikuro wrote:
animegomaniac wrote:
Yeah, I may just get the BD and ignore the second season entirely.
Pretty much what I'm doing. Hoping Sentai sees sales drop off after season one and it convinces them to at least do an eventual recast dub for the remaining parts.
Why are people so intent on seeing Sentai lose money on this franchise? They're not going to keep shoveling more money down the pit if Kai sells badly. (I'd predict that Kai will sell the same or more, since some already have previous releases of S1.) And if Sentai loses money dubbing/redubbing Higurashi, it means less money available as a risk cushion for future releases, which equates to fewer dubs in the future.

Clannad/After Story didn't get dubbed because they sold poorly sub-only, they got dubbed because consumers showed there was strong demand for Sentai's products. Same with the other shows Sentai went back and dubbed, presumably. If you want to encourage Sentai to dub Kai/Rei, buying the sub-only versions is more likely to do that than not buying them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3