• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Regarding Rurouni Kenshin & Media Blasters....

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
(NOTE TO MODS AND ADMINS: If this is in the wrong place, please move it to the appropriate place. Thanks!)

I don't remember if ANN reported on this or if anyone found out any more news on this, but does anyone remember this article posted by ANN? animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-03-08/media-blasters-no-longer-has-rights-to-bakuman-kenshin-berserk

My questions is specifically for Rurouni Kenshin. Does anyone know if another anime company in North America has rescued Rurouni Kenshin yet? If so, who? If not, I personally hope VIZ Media rescues Rurouni Kenshin.

Sorry if this was already discussed, but I couldn't find any information on this anywhere. On Wikipedia, they claim that Aniplex of America had acquired Rurouni Kenshin from Media Blasters (it says that the anime, the anime movie, and both OVAs are all now licensed by Aniplex of America), but I can't find an article to confirm if it's true or not. Would ANN happen to have an article on this? Or would Crunchyroll happen to have anything? I wasn't sure.

If anyone happens to have any reliable sources and articles to confirm if any of this is true, please post them in your replies. Thanks guys in advance! Very Happy
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
God, I hope Aniplex doesn't own it all. I bought the Tsuioku-hen Blu-ray set, and while it looks really effing spectacular, I would hate to see what the TV series would cost (up to the end of Kyoto, anyway). Unless it's a super-duper awesome remaster from the original film elements or something, I would rather Viz get it and the live-action movies to save me some money.

I don't have any info on the licensing, but you could always try sending your question to the Answerman column. Just send it to [email protected], and maybe Justin can find out.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Not sure who has them, but someone has to have at least the series, since Crunchyroll and Netflix both have it available.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll has Aniplex as the publisher, but that doesn't necessarily indicate an intent to release it on disc. They might just be holding the digital rights to keep it up online.
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
God, I hope Aniplex doesn't own it all. I bought the Tsuioku-hen Blu-ray set, and while it looks really effing spectacular, I would hate to see what the TV series would cost (up to the end of Kyoto, anyway). Unless it's a super-duper awesome remaster from the original film elements or something, I would rather Viz get it and the live-action movies to save me some money.

I don't have any info on the licensing, but you could always try sending your question to the Answerman column. Just send it to [email protected], and maybe Justin can find out.

I agree. I think VIZ Media would do a much better job with everything than Aniplex would. I hope VIZ Media will consider rescuing Rurouni Kenshin sometime soon.

I shall do that. Thanks Tony! I hope Justin will be successful in finding out more about this. Very Happy

Dessa wrote:
Not sure who has them, but someone has to have at least the series, since Crunchyroll and Netflix both have it available.

I agree. Whoever they are, it seems like they're doing well considering we're still able to watch Rurouni Kenshin on Crunchyroll and Netflix as you said. Smile

Saffire wrote:
Crunchyroll has Aniplex as the publisher, but that doesn't necessarily indicate an intent to release it on disc. They might just be holding the digital rights to keep it up online.

I think you may be right. Hope VIZ Media will get to rescue the series since they already have the manga, so why not the anime as well? Smile

Thanks to all of you for your help! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1