• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Signs Deal With Fuji TV to Exclusively Stream Noitamina Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Not sure about anime network but they put their stuff on Hulu anyhow. Daisuki doesn't have a channel but most of their stuff is on Hulu (I think they still have God Eater going to Hulu on a week delay).

Anime Network has had an app on Roku since the middle of last year:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/float-left-and-anime-network-team-up-to-launch-roku-channel-300093428.html

It works well enough for me, although I can't say I find their queue that useful, since it just stacks up episodes of each series added instead of listing each title by series.

It was developed by the same company that did Funimation's original Roku app (which is to be updated in the next couple of months), so anyone using the former would be familiar with how it works.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
^That's right, I remember seeing it when I was adding channels. I don't use it so I didn't add it. It slipped my mind after that.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
So what will be the impact for the DVD/Blu Ray releases of these shows?

Will Amazon release physical copies or just be streaming them?

That's still my biggest question. I'm surprised how few people have mentioned it. I would guess it'll be a similar situation to Knights Of Sidonia with Netflix, where they had Sentai do the distribution. Not sure if they sub-licensed it through Netflix, or how that situation worked(though I would seriously love to know), but Sentai put that out in a pretty neat Collector's Edition. I really really hope something similar happens with all of Amazon's stuff, because I generally like Noitamina shows enough to want to buy them.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Netflix is going to simulcast atleast one anime later this year or early next year, too.
I wish amazon just get all the right from Funimation and Cr as well, so we all just subscribe to one place.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
getumbuck wrote:
So what will be the impact for the DVD/Blu Ray releases of these shows?

Will Amazon release physical copies or just be streaming them?

That's still my biggest question. I'm surprised how few people have mentioned it. I would guess it'll be a similar situation to Knights Of Sidonia with Netflix, where they had Sentai do the distribution

Probably because Netflix and Amazon are streaming companies and only negotiated streaming rights. Disk rights are negotiated by disk companies.
That's.....also probably why nobody mentioned it.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
Not liking this development. I'm all for competition, it's good for the industry, but there comes a point where this gets ridiculous and the number of subscriptions pile up. I currently still stick with CR/FUNi, and use other services for free, though Sentai simulcasts, along with the occasional one from VIZ that might not be on Daisuki are going to make me get Hulu+ in the future.

I already end up passing on anything Netflix gets currently as I wouldn't use Netflix enough to justify the costs, and for Amazon it'd be even worse. I don't order anywhere nearly enough from Amazon for Prime to be worth it, and to spend $100 on Amazon Prime just to watch one or two (if noitaminA goes back to that) shows a season? Not going to be worth it, so I'll have to pass. Also another thing to consider, will these shows even come out on disc? With Netflix, so far we've seen Knights of Sidonia S1, and that's it, no news on if anything else like The Seven Deadly Sins will come out on Blu-ray.

I love streaming, it's how I consume most of my anime, but I don't stick with those for when I want to rewatch a show. I want to have it in my collection if I care enough about it, and just having streams until they expire isn't going to cut it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

That's still my biggest question. I'm surprised how few people have mentioned it. I would guess it'll be a similar situation to Knights Of Sidonia with Netflix, where they had Sentai do the distribution

Probably because Netflix and Amazon are streaming companies and only negotiated streaming rights. Disk rights are negotiated by disk companies.
That's.....also probably why nobody mentioned it.

We don't know if they only negotiated streaming rights, do we? That's all that has been announced, but that doesn't mean they didn't make an offer for home video rights as well and it just hasn't been announced. Even if all they have is streaming and no home video licenses have been touched, this has a significant impact on how those home video licenses are going to be handled, or if they are even offered. I'd say it's just slightly relevant and important.
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
Glad I'm not the only one concerned about it. They're making it impossible to enjoy most anime shows every season. Sure, most people have Amazon Prime for the free shipping and this would simply be a perk (same with Hulu and Netflix), but I simply can't afford it along with the Funimation, Crunchyroll, Hulu, and Netflix subscriptions. I'm going to have to make some tough choices in the future it seems. The anime streaming market is beginning to fracture. And I know this promotes healthy competition, but we viewers lose the most. Unless you have the disposable income to afford everything per month.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
Well I don't know if Amazon.com will be successful in this endeavor if not then it's one less service we need to worry about but if they are than the already crowded Anime streaming game will become that much more desirable and expensive. Confused
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:08 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Not liking this development. I'm all for competition, it's good for the industry, but there comes a point where this gets ridiculous and the number of subscriptions pile up.

At least with other services, one can subscribe by the month. That means as long as one is not the type that must see everything as soon as it is available, one could always cycle through monthly subscriptions for lesser used services.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Well I don't know if Amazon.com will be successful in this endeavor if not then it's one less service we need to worry about but if they are than the already crowded Anime streaming game will become that much more desirable and expensive. Confused

I have a feeling, given how much money they have, if anyone fails it's going to be the smaller companies and Netflix and Amazon will be the only ones left. If anyone can take temporary losses for long term control over the marketplace, it's them. Maybe that'll mean that Funimation moves into dub production and physical releases only, or Crunchyroll finds something else that they can do successfully and shuts down their streaming. I don't think it's going to happen any time soon, but I would be surprised if all of the current fish are able to stay in the pond all at the same time successfully. Not a lot of people are willing to pay that much money for streaming.

As far as physical releases go, as much as I like having the actual box sets in my hands and on the shelf, it looks like I'm going to have to start building up my torrent library. I've already done it with all of the niche AoA titles that are unlikely to get released, but I think I'm just going to do the same with everything that I like from now on. I just bought 5TBs of HD space, so I guess it's time to preserve my favorites that way. I'll buy the physical releases if they come, but I'm not going to risk not having a permanent copy available to me.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
One option I haven't seen mentioned- if you can wait long enough, many streaming channels put stuff up for free with ads after a week or two. And good ol' Anime News Network itself streams quite a bit of stuff for about $30 a year. When I first started using streaming, I watched quite a bit of stuff here.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I don't think Netflix and Amazon will be anymore than relatively bit players in the streaming business. Netflix hasn't shown too much interest in the simulcast game, with only 3 simulcasts in the nearly two years they've been in it, and I doubt Amazon will show much more interest. CR and Funi will always have a place in the community as long as they have most of the simulcasts. While Netflix and Amazon certainly have more money, I doubt they'll put enough money in licensing anime to corner the market, not when there is original content they want to make. That is what will draw most customers, not cornering the anime market. Let's face it, while we are far from insignificant, we are not big enough to drive viewship numbers for them. At most, I think they will have enough to pique the interest of anime fans to draw them to their video catalog and perhaps very marginally to Prime membership. And making a deal for one of the more prominent anime blocks seems like just the ticket. So I am not panicking too much about their acquisitions as they are likely to be limited. They may however be trying their hand at the relatively less crowded Japanese market as the Kamen Rider acquisition points towards. We'll see how this plays out though.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:36 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Not liking this development. I'm all for competition, it's good for the industry, but there comes a point where this gets ridiculous and the number of subscriptions pile up.

At least with other services, one can subscribe by the month. That means as long as one is not the type that must see everything as soon as it is available, one could always cycle through monthly subscriptions for lesser used services.

Don't know about in the US, but in the UK you can subscribe to just the video portion of Prime monthly.

(It works out more expensive than yearly, and you don't get access to stuff like 1-day delivery and Prime Music, so it isn't really worth it. But it's an option.)
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:13 am Reply with quote
Unless it's hidden, that option isn't available in the US
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7