• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I Hate Animé (and its various practices) [Youtube videos].

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
(part 1)
(part 2)
comment comeback

Just some interesting videos on the subject. I find it's something you should watch and keep in mind while watching.

That said, this is only one person. Any other practices and tropes in Japanese media you dislike?

[EDIT: Added the bit about the videos in the title, so people don't mistakenly think you're the one that actually hates anime. -TK]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if you're trying to troll/antagonize or have an actual, meaningful conversation about personal opinion.

I'm pretty sure everyone in this forum likes anime/manga in some fashion, but is also self-aware enough to realize some of the medium's faults. I mean, no person or thing is perfect, hence the existence of opinion/subjectivity. Everybody's gonna' like/dislike a lot of things differently from everyone else.

Do you have anything to add to this proposed discussion? Or do you just agree verbatim with those videos? Please get the ball rollin' with your own words, and not a bunch of hyperlinks of somebody else's opinions.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:51 am Reply with quote
I.... kind of feel tempted to put the same type criticism put onto anime in general in those videos onto the production of the video itself where I had to skip minutes through a video that seemed to have no point before getting to the main theme of the video, with what seemed to be a single droning voice for multiple characters. I watch a fair share of YouTube videos and accounts, and I would point out some that do better charisma and such, or character with simpler animation to the one used. Although I will concede that I might not be part of this audience that enjoy such negativity.

And I see a bit of pigeon holding on some issues that are a bit dated, or picking the worst from the bunch (long running shounen). Yes there are sometimes issues of minimal animation, I have avoided some like the plague because I hate it, but it generally is no longer accepted to just have a mouth move or no effort to match mouth movements.

And an example shown for strange dialogue was Monogatari, which is far from usual for anime, and really a big point of such shows is a philosophical to symbolic discussion of topics in an art like way.

And something about anime standing in the way where much of media is trying to subvert expectations, where I would say a number of anime can do a really interesting job with such things. One of my favourite recent anime that did this was School Live, which shows how wrong it is to think anime cannot be very creative.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:26 am Reply with quote
I dislike how the industry is so risk adverse. Low budgets, bad scheduling.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I'm pretty sure everyone in this forum likes anime/manga in some fashion, but is also self-aware enough to realize some of the medium's faults.

Of course. I would bet money that anyone here who has a) watched a lot of anime and b) has cognitive ability greater than an ostrich probably has a list of tropes that they currently don't like, even if that has or will change over time.

As for the videos, I didn't want to waste more than a minute or two but my impression is that the creators have a very narrow view of a very big topic. Somehow they believe they have discovered some unique or profound perspective but in fact they have not.

They might as well have gone over to tvtropes.com and make a list of those tropes you like and those you don't. It would less of a waste of time.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
As for the videos, I didn't want to waste more than a minute or two but my impression is that the creators have a very narrow view of a very big topic. Somehow they believe they have discovered some unique or profound perspective but in fact they have not.

That about sums it up I think. The video also makes the fatal error of starting out with a straw man representation of the counter argument, but that seems to be most web comics and videos that take a stance on something.

I don't see the big deal. Not everyone is going to like anime, and while I'm not familiar with this YouTube person their account name alone suggusts hating things is their gimmick. Most YouTubers and web articles are all about clickbait and negativity because it draws views.

-Stuart Smith
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I can't take any idiot who says "I hate anime" seriously because there's so much of it and it's so diverse that it's the same as saying "I hate movies".
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
There is really very little here to get upset about. I've watched the videos and part of the comments. None of his complaints about stock characters or limited animation are anything not posted here about specific shows. His failure is in attributing to all of anime the problems of some specific shows.

In the comments he essentially admits he treated a large subject superficially for entertainment purposes. As was pointed out above his screen name shows his whole act is looking at the negative aspects of anything he reviews. It was obvious that in the comments section that he enjoys the hate comments he gets, which is undoubtedly why he does it.

At least he shows signs of having actually watched a fair amount of anime to arrive at these complaints. I prefer this to the idiots I've run into who hate on anime because someone told them it was all sex and violence. The funny thing is that you would have to be an anime fan or have previously been one to understand what he was talking about. His rant would make no sense to someone who hasn't seen a reasonable amount of anime.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Lol, yes....I just noticed his entire channel is "I HATE <insert>".....and there are about ten different videos...or more.

...............maybe I should watch his Justin Bieber one... Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:43 am Reply with quote
Dislike of negative videos is kind of why I started to fall out of in love with "everything wrong with" videos, especially out of frustration that half of the so called "sins" are just tropes that do not necessarily mean something bad. Similarly in the past I had never been able to get behind Nostalgia Critic because I find the negativity poisonous, I checked out a video recently and still hated it. There is a level of hypocrisy in hating hating there.

Except JonTron, the negativity there makes it fun to me for some reason, the focus on hilariously bad things in those videos has made me laugh. Or The Completionist trying to complete Superman 64. Maybe hypocrisy in still liking some, but they feel a word different.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
D Similarly in the past I had never been able to get behind Nostalgia Critic because I find the negativity poisonous, I checked out a video recently and still hated it.

I recommend his Editorial videos; they're cool, informative and lack much negativity. His Top 11 lists and Old Vs New are also good.

He does reviews of newer movies as just "himself" and talks about his opinion in a calm, rational way.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
I came across a better media item on this topic.

skaterballer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I hate what "anime" and "manga" have become to be used for outside of Japan. Anime and manga were, are, and always will be the English representations of Japanese words which don't specify country-of-origin nor art-style. We can have English words of the same spellings as them be used in ways that don't conflict much with the English representations of the Japanese words. We can, but we don't. Instead we've created English words spelled the same as the English representations of the Japanese words that conflict way too much and way too insidiously with the Japanese words. Oh, the humanity!
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Removed the portion of your post that you've been warned on before. --willag

I'm wondering why he needed to stretch it out to two parts since all the content can be condensed into a single one. What is he supposed to be parodying in the beginning of each of those.

I'd go on except the vast majority of titles used in those vids I haven't seen. Sad

Edit: Very well. So long, my thoughts on tropes, maybe they will store some soap somewhere safe.

Last edited by DuelGundam2099 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
skaterballer wrote:
I hate what "anime" and "manga" have become to be used for outside of Japan. Anime and manga were, are, and always will be the English representations of Japanese words which don't specify country-of-origin nor art-style. We can have English words of the same spellings as them be used in ways that don't conflict much with the English representations of the Japanese words. We can, but we don't. Instead we've created English words spelled the same as the English representations of the Japanese words that conflict way too much and way too insidiously with the Japanese words. Oh, the humanity!

Me too, glad to find someone who thinks alike. Its like saying "film" means French movies because film is movie in French.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1