• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ADs

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I mentioned this before, but I thought it was remedied so I deleted the post. But now it's just ridiculous.

I know you need ads, but I need to zoom text 170-200% to be able to read anything here, so banner ads and sidebars that I can't suppress take up my already limited screen space. This only started about 5 days ago. I suppose this isn't an issue for people used to cramped phone screens, but that's not me.

I can live with the banners I guess, since I can just scroll down, but the sidebars I can't budge are just too intrusive. So far Viz and Yen Press are the primary offending ads, and certainly don't leave me with a positive PR impression of them.

This is what my screen looks like today:

(click for larger image)

That's what, 60% of the window taken up with ads and other non-content before I get to one measly line of Cryten's post? There is also a 4th copy of the same ad among the news thumbnails below, and it's even worse on the Daily Reviews page, where a 5th, 6th, 7th, etc. copy pops up as I scroll farther down. Such saturation bombing seems like overkill to me. The tiny RghtStuf ad below is fine though. At least it's not in my face everywhere I go on the site.

Btw, the newsletter blurb I can hide...unless I leave the page and return. Then it's back, despite choosing "never remind me."

Maybe there's nothing you can do about this (though like I said, it did go away for the last two days), but if so, I'd honestly prefer a full page in-window pop-up ad that I could click away than this pushy claustrophobic stuff. I suspect that would not be a popular alternative though. Smile
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:38 am Reply with quote
Moved this to a new thread since it wasn't related to the topic of the previous thread.

The advertising unit you are complaining about is our skin. It's our most popular unit, and for the most part, it's actually liked by many of our users. It's *our* favorite unit. While we would like to decrease the quantity of ads on ANN (particularly the number of banners), the skins are going no where.

As for the subscription notice, if you click "never bother me," it should go away permanently. I suspect you might be deleting or blocking cookies? That information is stored in a cookie, so if that's the case, there's nothing we can do to fix it for you.

I noticed there's also a large blank space on your screen between the title and the post. That's actually on my screen as well, but it's not as glaring because my screen is much larger, so I never noticed it. I'll ask Dan to take a look at it.

-t
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:08 am Reply with quote
I have 3 options for the newsletter blurb: remind me tomorrow, next week, or never. None of them get rid of it permanently or even between visits. I don't delete ANN's cookies because that tells me what articles I've read (at the moment I seem to have 156 cookies on www.animenewsnetwork.com and 12 on animenewsnetwork.com. Not sure what the difference is). So I dunno.

But I think I've solved my main issue? Your mentioning skins made me go try resetting the skin to 5.0 blue (I never changed it, but I guess it somehow got changed?) et voila. I only have a small Bleach banner up top there now, and that's fine. Thanks for the reply!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1