• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What anime do you want to see redubbed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
Bible Black.

No, seriously. It's so terrible, it's comical. Really takes you out of the series' goods. As is, it acts as good Youtube comedy, but that's about it.

Clannad.

Everybody sounds either too old or just plain out-of-place. Tomoya, a high school student like the rest of them, sounds like Will Farrell delivering the famous, "Why don't you go back to your hole on Whore Island?!" while Kyou straight-up sounds like she just hit monopause. Fuko suffers from what I will simply refer to as "Hinata syndrome": she's meant to be and sound small, cute, and somewhat aloof, but in English, this becomes this weak, squeaky almost-rasp that couldn't sound further from natural.

This belies a larger issue with the localisation side of the industry, that being the casting of people who are too old and gruff for their roles, or otherwise trying too hard to emulate an archetype that doesn't exist in English, but Clannad is particularly unlistenable. It's the same reason I have trouble (albeit comparatively lesser) watching the dub of The Future Diary: Yuno sounds like a dullard in her late twenties or early thirties, compared to the chilling, childlike naïveté carried by her original seiyu. Rikka in Chunibyō has similar problems. Just about every character in K-On! exhibits the aforementioned Hinata syndrome.

I don't mean to sound like one of those annoying otaku who crucify dubs at every opportunity because he's practically a wannabe Japanophile, especially given that I've seen some good-ass dubs in my day, FLCL being the highlight on this particular subject. So, to me, the question is less, "What would you want to see re-dubbed?" as it is, "Why don't we heighten our standards and get it right the [expletive] first time?" I know this is not impossible to fix. Thing is, I'm not sure if the burden of blame lies more with the localisation companies and their practices, or anime fans in the west just accepting what gets churned out. I guarantee that 90% of all dubs in anime would be straight-up spat on by Hollywood critics, if not television critics in general.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
The fact that a major R1 distributor actually thought that outsourcing a dub to Odex of all people was a good decision still blows my mind.
Or that two major R1 distributors (Bandai and Geneon) did the same thing on multiple occasions, for that matter. Though I did find Karin to be mostly-listenable.

I did almost mention Karin, too, but like you, I regard that one more as "weak" than "totally incompetent."

Quote:
Green Green:
Just a bad hentai-tier effort all around, where only Yuusuke and Midori's voices were anything approaching good.

Oh, I wouldn't even give it that much credit. Didn't mention it myself because I found the series so awful that even a decent dub wouldn't help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Gundam Wing. I tried watching it again and I was cringing at most of the acting. David Kaye can stay as Treize though. I thought he was the best of the cast.
BWBODDY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Bible Black.

No, seriously. It's so terrible, it's comical. Really takes you out of the series' goods. As is, it acts as good Youtube comedy, but that's about it.

Yes Bible Black, love the Anime hate the Dub ...
It's a great Hentai even with the awful Dub, just think if the Dub had been better ...

Just think of the Business Kitty and ASM would do if they did a re-dub and re-released their previous releases.
Quote:
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Not that it'll ever happen, but I would love to see Battle Girls: Time Paradox redubbed. The script of that show seemed rushed and the voice acting sounded pretty stiff. On top of that, the excessive use of honorifics bogged down the dialogue's flow.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:11 am Reply with quote
Let me separate this into categories so that I don't have to sit there and explain myself too much. For each anime I list, I will put a number. 1 means that it needs a redub because the current dub is trash. 2 means that the current dub is fine, but if we're redubbing a bunch of anime, I'll toss that in since the dub is a little stale, but totally listenable.

1. Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and Mobile Fighter G Gundam. Terrible dubbing by the legendary Blue Water Studios. Everyone sounds flat, yet over the top. Either way, while some may see G as so bad its good, I know NO ONE who likes Zeta.

2. Future Diary. Oddly enough, I'd pick Ocean Group as the perfect ones to do this with a similar style to Black Lagoon's own dub. I feel like Gretel would have been a perfect VA for Yuno. Plus Minene feels enough like a ripoff of Revy anyway, why not get her VA in on the fun? Razz But hey, that's perfect casting that won't happen.

1. Patlabor. Eh... yeah. I'll just say that it's not the charming older dub that some people think it is.

2. Slayers. Lay off. It's just a simple suggestion. While it's one of New York's better dubs... I'd rather watch the worst of Funimation than the best of New York.

1. Anything done by Central Park Media. Done. Easy.

1. HxH 1999
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
2. Slayers. Lay off. It's just a simple suggestion. While it's one of New York's better dubs... I'd rather watch the worst of Funimation than the best of New York.

I don't want to have anyone other than Lisa Ortiz as Lina. Cynthia Martinez? That's just a myth. I think...

Crispin Freeman, Veronica Taylor, Eric Stuart, they're all better than merely ok.. Xellos needs a recast... and his recast needs a recast... but other than that, it's pretty solid.

What shows would I redub... other than Higurashiwhich is only half dubbed anyway? I've seen most of these shows mentioned and I didn't have much of a problem with them. Crest/Banner of the Stars? Make the show more enagaging first and then complain about the dub. Fantastic Children? The "fantastic children" shouldn't sound normal anyway so what would be the point if they sounded "right"? Karin... I don't know where the accents came from in that first episode and I don't know where they went; Still, I have more problems with the show than the dub.

Patlabor... Which dub? Which part of the franchise? I still haven't seen the entire Bandai dub as I stopped it when Ohta open his mouth and Sam Regal started speaking; That was bad. I'm not sure what would be the problem with the one with Dan Green. There's either "no Dan Green" or "not enough Dan Green" as problems. Anyway, some of my suggestions:

Hyper Police. The cast sounds alternatively bored and uncertain. Also, the main character should sound cute rather than screechingly annoying. "Bantanon!!!"

Gurren Lagann. I'd love to hear the complete ADV dub because I know the Bang Zoom dub messed up Kamina, Yoko, Nia, Simon and... Sam Regal, is that you again as Viral? Stick to comedy, please. Bosch was great as Rossiu but, well, is that enough? For this show?

Brigadoon. You know something went wrong when there's a scene with five characters but just two actresses. I hated Clannad using Luci Christian as both Nagisa and her daughter Ushio... so much for "subtlety", huh?... but this was ridiculous. I know Wendy Lee is extremely talented and Michelle Ruff fairly talented- see, sigh, Gurren Lagann- but, really, there are limits.

However, I think Veronica Taylor was amazing as the seven leads of Seven of Nana so there are exceptions. But I'd say it's more a case of Brigadoon using different voices while Seven of Nana went the further step of doing different performances and voices.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Hyper Police. The cast sounds alternatively bored and uncertain. Also, the main character should sound cute rather than screechingly annoying. "Bantanon!!!"

Also, the name Sakura should never be pronounced Suh-KOO-ruh.
I had forgotten about Hyper Police. It was one of the first anime that I watched and I probably did not realize until later that some things were a bit off in the dub.
If somebody wanted to redub it I certainly would not argue against is, but I seriously doubt that the show was ever popular enough for anybody to consider a license rescue.

I still have not been able to think of any shows that I feel would need a new dub, but there might be others that I have forgotten that have not been mentioned yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Stop complaining about a non-issue.

And you need to stop being so combative, condescending , and flat out rude to people who have different opinions than you. You're walking a very thin line right now in this thread. You've been warned about this before and were told if you kept insulting users you would be placed on moderation. I suggest you reel it in some before you cross that line.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
For me, its Kannazuki no Miko and Casshern Sins.

I love hearing the subbed versions, but when I hear the eng dubs, I dunno.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I think the english VAs did a pretty decent job, but I think they could have done better and put some more emotion into it.

And I would probably, PROBABLY, replace a few of them. Maybe not for the main characters.
BWBODDY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
For me, its Kannazuki no Miko and Casshern Sins.

I love hearing the subbed versions, but when I hear the eng dubs, I dunno.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I think the english VAs did a pretty decent job, but I think they could have done better and put some more emotion into it.

And I would probably, PROBABLY, replace a few of them. Maybe not for the main characters.

I can't recall when or where I read/heard this. ( but IIRC )
The Monotone styling of the Eng Dub of Casshern Sins was done on purpose to match
what was originally done.

Now I never have listened to the Japanese Dub so I'm not familiar with it how Monotone it is.
Dyslexia and a deaf ear for dialects and accent will keep me from ever doing so.
I'm one of the people that can't understand what anyone on Honey Boo is saying without the Subtitles ( no I'm not a Fan, but I have seen bits of it on TV like the rest of us )

But that's just what I remember, and for me the Monotone Voice Styling in the English Dub works as the Musical Background to the Series.

Well that's my 2 cent's on it anyway Smile

Last edited by BWBODDY on Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricDent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Hey BW! Any word on when the update to OUR forum will be done?

Anyhow not really a redub, but some things that need dubbed:

Magical Project S: Pretty Sammy TV, came out in the US a the height of the Tenchi popularity, but never got dubbed...

Emma A Victorian Romance: A show set completely in England, and yet everybody speaks Japanese (yes I know they dubbed it in Asia).

Short stuff like Mai-Otome S.Ifr & Lucky Star OVA.

I guess there's one show I wouldn't mind getting redubbed, Lost Universe.
Mostly cause the rather annoying commercial bumpers with Canal doing a "ah-ha" noise which is not in the Japanese version.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
Emma A Victorian Romance: A show set completely in England, and yet everybody speaks Japanese (yes I know they dubbed it in Asia).

Admittedly, I have a small but very morbid desire to see how well this could be executed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BWBODDY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
Hey BW! Any word on when the update to OUR forum will be done?

Mai-Otome S.Ifr & Lucky Star OVA.

I guess there's one show I wouldn't mind getting redubbed, Lost Universe.
Mostly cause the rather annoying commercial bumpers with Canal doing a "ah-ha" noise which is not in the Japanese version.

Yes I 2nd Lucky Star Ova and Mai-Otome S.Ifr, I hate only having part of a Series/Title becuase it's not all completely Dubbed in English.

In fact the only one's I have are the one's I started buying before I knew they weren't all Dubbed. ( older releases )
Or newer ones that hadn't completely released yet, so I didn't know they weren't getting Dubbed till they came out.
I kept some of the one's I just couldn't part with, but the other I placed in the Sell to fye Pile, and sold em.
And I didn't keep Lost Universe becuase I didn't like the Dub

@ Eric
I PM'd Doc Watson, and Messaged Rightstuf
Doc said it's a long overdue upgrade with Rightstuf money, the "Rightstuf money" part makes me worry about what the Forum will be when it's back up.

And Rightstuf basically said the same thing, but neither could give a timeframe
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one mentioned Tokyo Mew Mew, Shaman King, Ojamajo Doremi, or Ultimate Muscle(all licensed by 4kids). Don't have hopes for the last two, but to me, I think TMM deserves better than what it got. Also, while Shaman King is (imo) one of their better dubs, I do wish the script (and some of the voice actors) were done better. While I did enjoy Rens' British accent, I wouldn't mind someone like Todd Haberkorn voicing him if the show were redubbed by another studio.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4