• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shirobako Producers Discuss Possibility of Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
It would be interesting if at one point they did part set in the past, say 1970s maybe.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh I so would love to see a sequel to Shirobako, I feel there's so many more stories to tell here!

Just a few ideas I could hope to see explored

-Producing a movie, bigger budget bigger stakes yet more time but I can imagine still plenty of pressure
-Producing a new high profile series having to deal with potential backlash if it doesn't meet fan expectations
-Aoi become an episode director! Or an animation producer or producer for a series.
-The gang finally makes their little student film into a fully realized professional production

Well whatever they choose would be interesting I'm sure. Also would hope they can spread out the tasks a little. It was good we got plenty of focus on the Production Desk team but I think we still ended up spending a lot of time with the sound team and the art director.
nx6

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I like Shirobako, and I think it is awesome that a great anime about the anime industry was made. But I am satisfied with the 24 episodes we got. If a sequel is made, I hope it is because the creative staff has the passion to do more and are not just forced by companies executives who want to make more money from this franchise.

Yep. That's exactly my position. I hate forced sequels more than anything. I feel like I got a perfect story as is, but if a sequel is made with the same passion as the first season, I would be okay with that.

Well the show was originally planned to be 4 cors. The material for the second half already exists, it just wasn't done.

Hey Sentai, if you want to know why I haven't bought this it's because your release is crap. 12 episodes on one disc doesn't leave enough room for decent bitrates, regardless of the lack of an English dub.
LetsEatRamen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Shirobako was an absolute delight, and there's surely enough potential for a sequel.
That being said, I will die if there isn't a sequel.
But if there is one, I just hope it'll be able to live up to the first season and offer more insight into the industry without going overboard.

I believe in the power of donuts! Very Happy
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Personally I don't find the idea of Aoi teaching an anime class all that intriguing. What makes Shirobako work for me is the ensemble performances from a lot of quirky characters. It just wouldn't be the same without Kinoshita, Yano, Goth-loli-sama, and Diesel-san to add spice to the stories.

There's no way it'd be the basis of a full series. An episode, maybe, but even as an episode it would work best as a framing device, rather than being the main focus.

MarshalBanana wrote:
It would be interesting if at one point they did part set in the past, say 1970s maybe.

They kind of did already, with a part of one episode being imagine spot/flashback of the old Musashino Pictures animating Andes Chucky. There's possibly a whole episode in more of that, but not much more than that.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:32 am Reply with quote
They could do a couple of episodes with the younger versions of Sugie and the President working on Andes Chucky, but most viewers are going to want to see Aoi and friends. I wouldn't want to see a sequel become that episodic though. I enjoyed watching the entire production process for a single show over the course of twelve episodes. Of all the options mentioned here, a sequel that follows Musashino making a movie seems the most interesting. It might be a way to produce a full-length version of Third Girls, too, though this time they wouldn't be stuck dealing with the editor at the publishing house.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I'd like to see more shows similar to Shirobako but for other industries.
For example, if you've ever looked at Kaho-tans blog (good smile company), it's really interesting and fun getting that little window into the behind the scenes of a figure company.

It's easier to wish than done. Someone in the toy industry have to tell their story in prose or collaborate with other artists first. Even before Shirobako was created, anime industry already told their story from shows like "Animation Runner Kuromi" and various TV anime episodes.

yuna49 wrote:
Of course it never crossed Sentai's mind to include the Exodus OVA with the first half of Shirobako. They could include both it and Third Girls with the second installment, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm afraid we're always going to be left with relying on fansubs to watch these.

Maybe copyright doesn't want to license Exodus anime or charged more for extras. Either way, what you pay is what you get considering the price.

HeeroTX wrote:
You know what would be REALLY cool to see (IMO), a 2 part OVA collaboration with an American animation studio that gives the story of Third Girls Aerial being licensed for foreign/US distribution.

Your use of the words, "American Animation Studio", made me both laugh and confused. I didn't know that localization company is now an "animation studio". I don't think Japanese staff care much about localization process happening in foreign countries as they have their own stories to tell
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
Of course it never crossed Sentai's mind to include the Exodus OVA with the first half of Shirobako. They could include both it and Third Girls with the second installment, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm afraid we're always going to be left with relying on fansubs to watch these.

Maybe copyright doesn't want to license Exodus anime or charged more for extras. Either way, what you pay is what you get considering the price.

As someone who repeatedly argues in forums like these that the Japanese rights owners hold all the cards when it comes to licensing foreign distribution, I agree with you in general. Still how much would acquiring the additional rights to a single episode of Exodus actually cost? The first half of Shirobako sells for about $3 per episode after discounting. So how much would the price have gone up to include Exodus? Five dollars perhaps, ten at most. In a market like anime with relatively inelastic demand I doubt another $5-10 would have radically reduced overall revenues so much that it would not have been profitable to include Exodus.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
championferret wrote:
I'd like to see more shows similar to Shirobako but for other industries.
For example, if you've ever looked at Kaho-tans blog (good smile company), it's really interesting and fun getting that little window into the behind the scenes of a figure company.

It's easier to wish than done. Someone in the toy industry have to tell their story in prose or collaborate with other artists first. Even before Shirobako was created, anime industry already told their story from shows like "Animation Runner Kuromi" and various TV anime episodes.

Really, it would take someone at the publisher or producer level, maybe director or series composition level, to decide they want to make a show about that. Everything else flows on from that. And as interesting as it is to get an insight into how things are made, that tends to be better done in a documentary, rather than as the setting for a work of fiction. It could work, I guess, but probably only as a single OVA or something.

And if we're talking workplaces/industries as settings for an anime series, as much as I love Animation Runner Kuromi and Shirobako (and Sore ga Seiyuu, and Bakuman, etc...), it would be good to see something that's not directly related to the animation industry, rather than being so inward-facing a lot of the time.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
reanimator wrote:

As someone who repeatedly argues in forums like these that the Japanese rights owners hold all the cards when it comes to licensing foreign distribution, I agree with you in general. Still how much would acquiring the additional rights to a single episode of Exodus actually cost? The first half of Shirobako sells for about $3 per episode after discounting. So how much would the price have gone up to include Exodus? Five dollars perhaps, ten at most. In a market like anime with relatively inelastic demand I doubt another $5-10 would have radically reduced overall revenues so much that it would not have been profitable to include Exodus.

It could be anything from publisher just getting TV version from understaffed oversea license staff to publisher had no idea about existence of bonus materials. Or, Japanese side just don't want to license bonus materials because they're not expecting much higher profit by adding bonus materials. Either way, it takes a lot to convince Japanese side for "nice stuffs".
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
It would be good to have definitive answers rather than just speculation on the lack of release of the Shirobako OVA's in the west.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2