• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Babymetal Album Is Japan's 1st to Crack U.S. Billboard's Top 40 in 53 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
The seriously beat out Utada? Wow... that's a shocker. Since "none of the three members knew what metal music was before the inception of the band" is rather shocking. I doubt they even write, arrange, produce their own lyrics/music anyways. Blah... sends a shiver down my spine.

I love Utada, but your point is moot. This is still half of an idol group. Of course the singers don't write their own lyrics. But the lead vocalist, Su-metal, actually has a really great voice, and it's not just autotune trickery either. Your point that none of them were familiar with metal when they began doesn't make much sense or seem very relevant to me, considering how they were barely pre-teens at the time and the Japanese music industry doesn't exactly thrive on underground experimental music. So yeah. But like someone else already said, the backing band and artist are by far the most impressive elements. The fine vocals just compliment them.

Also, any of those bitter metalheads just have to look at that one guy on this forum to realize that, shocker, not every weeb necessarily likes this group.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:27 pm Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
As if most Popular musicians do all that these days? You are in for a rude awakening my friend if you believe that.

Which is why I don't listen to very many popular musicians. Hell, I honestly can't even name some of them or their famous songs.

Fatt_One wrote:
The singers are pretty disposable imo and aren't really a huge contribution overall. It's all about the lead guitarist, and he's a musical genius.

Agreed. The band is solid. The singers need to go haha.

Jayhosh wrote:
I love Utada, but your point is moot. This is still half of an idol group. Of course the singers don't write their own lyrics. But the lead vocalist, Su-metal, actually has a really great voice, and it's not just autotune trickery either. Your point that none of them were familiar with metal when they began doesn't make much sense or seem very relevant to me, considering how they were barely pre-teens at the time and the Japanese music industry doesn't exactly thrive on underground experimental music. So yeah. But like someone else already said, the backing band and artist are by far the most impressive elements. The fine vocals just compliment them.

I do believe that if singers write their own songs it lends credence to their cause. Otherwise they're just a half-wit prop used to make money. And my point that they aren't familiar with the music their singing stands: you cannot be masters of something you aren't familiar with. Yes you can adapt and grow, but even that has its limitations. They do not have the vocals to pull off this type of music style. Pre-teens or not, that doesn't stop people from being aware of different genres and what not. At least I wasn't growing up around music.

Then again, I don't understand the whole bizarre idol thing in Japan anyways (and I don't care to). It's not my thing and people can eat it up all they want. It just grates on my nerves when trash without substance beats out other hard working artists (and I'm not saying Utada is a goddess or anything, she just has a lot more going for her, as do some of the other people on the list they beat out). But then again... 'murica!
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
I do believe that if singers write their own songs it lends credence to their cause.
Then again, I don't understand the whole bizarre idol thing in Japan anyways (and I don't care to). It's not my thing and people can eat it up all they want. It just grates on my nerves when trash without substance beats out other hard working artists (and I'm not saying Utada is a goddess or anything, she just has a lot more going for her, as do some of the other people on the list they beat out). But then again... 'murica!

It's worth noting how much singers are involved in the song creation process, and to give a counter-example I'd imagine that the Elements Garden songwriters don't have much interaction with the singers but have a great understanding of their vocal capabilities (I'm using the term 'songwriters' to cover lyrics and composition, although there are examples like Minori Chihara singing Celestial Diva with lyrics by Arika of ALI Project and composition by Elements Garden).

What is often lost in the west but is included on Japanese television and other media coverage is that generally the lyricist and composer is also credited along with the singer.

There are also examples of composer/lyricists that work closely with the singers and also do produciton e.g. Yoko Kanno with May'n and Megumi Nakajima for Macross Frontier and Yuki Kajiura with FictionJunction / Kalafina (and Yuki Kajiura gets credited for Kalafina even though she doesn't usually perform with them).

Getting back to Babymetal - the continuity the creative process behind them is important, otherwise they could end up like an act that has the same name but none of the same members or lyricists/composers/producers and just cashing in on the name and familiarity of older songs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3