• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Ah, thank you. I guess I missed the part where she said something in English and I only saw and heard "taishou."
MalcolmBelmont

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
To be honest the first quarter of DIU doesn't really have that much oomph shall we say but when the main antagonist in Part 4 is introduced everything changes and lets just say the stakes get higher
Ryomanagare

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
The episode title should be something like

"Kira Yoshikage just wants a quiet and simple life"
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Next week is the Italian Food Episode...my body is ready.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Next week is the Italian Food Episode...my body is ready.

I wonder if it will last full ep or if they will cut it to half.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

I kept wondering why Koichi didn't slap her with "Set Koichi free!" Something similar worked with his mom, so it was worth a try, even if she'd be mentally crazy strong enough to overcome it.

I also thought he was cutting his hair to create the snip sounds to use on having Echoes cut her hair, though as the review said, I'm not so clear on the rules here, so I don't even know if such a thing would've been possible. Smile

As far as I can see, Echoes appears to be unique among Stands in that it actually seems to like Koichi. The other Stands all just seem to be humorlessly doing their duty by their masters and protecting their own existence in the process, but Echoes has a real, independent personality, and shows concern and even seems to be thinking about how he can help Koichi. That's pretty cool. Smile
pissypantskoichi

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
it's cause his mom couldn't perceive echoes or the effect it was having on her other than the sound, so she internalized it as her own mind. yukako knows about echoes and so wouldn't believe those were her thoughts.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 9

I kept wondering why Koichi didn't slap her with "Set Koichi free!" Something similar worked with his mom, so it was worth a try, even if she'd be mentally <strike>crazy</strike> strong enough to overcome it.

I also thought he was cutting his hair to create the snip sounds to use on having Echoes cut her hair, though as the review said, I'm not so clear on the rules here, so I don't even know if such a thing would've been possible. Smile

As far as I can see, Echoes appears to be unique among Stands in that it actually seems to like Koichi. The other Stands all just seem to be humorlessly doing their duty by their masters and protecting their own existence in the process, but Echoes has a real, independent personality, and shows concern and even seems to be thinking about how he can help Koichi. That's pretty cool. Smile
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
That is a big flaw with Part 4; while a town-centric setting is a nice change of pace after three travel-heavy adventures and the characters are as colorful as ever, the sense of moving forward in the story is very stop and go. There are large sections where it feels like there aren't any major advancements in the story. Even Stardust Crusaders' Monster-Of-The-Week antics still made it feel like things were progressing. It also doesn't help that the main villain has a serious case of DGAF.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
That is a big flaw with Part 4; while a town-centric setting is a nice change of pace after three travel-heavy adventures and the characters are as colorful as ever, the sense of moving forward in the story is very stop and go. There are large sections where it feels like there aren't any major advancements in the story. Even Stardust Crusaders' Monster-Of-The-Week antics still made it feel like things were progressing. It also doesn't help that the main villain has a serious case of DGAF.

I can't remember where I read it but someone was saying that the reason Stardust Monster-of the-week felt smoother was because there was a clear end goal, get to Egypt and stop Dio, pretty much each person you fought was an underling of Dio and therefore got you one step closer to him by dealing with them.

With DiU our "Goal" is far more abstract, right now it's Red Hot Chili Peppers but he has virtually no ties to any of the other antagonists.

Tamami and Yukako are basically independent as is spoiler[Next week's "foe" Tonio, who is also not part of any group]

The problem in Part 4 is that the Antagonists are always individuals with and individual goal, not a group of people opposing the Main Team that can lead to one another like they were in Part 3 or even the current Manga Part 8. Hazamada makes reference to a group of Stand users out to stop Josuke and Gang, but no such group has made an appearance to make us feel any sort of progression, Hazamada is the only one we've met from this so-called "Group" which spoiler[ Does not exist, there is never another reference to this so called group Hazamada claimed to be a part of.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
pissypantskoichi wrote:
yukako knows about echoes and so wouldn't believe those were her thoughts.

She didn't know he even had a Stand for most of the time she was holding him captive. Of course Echoes would've had to sneak up on her, but it seems like it could've managed that. It took her long enough to realize it was there at the phone booth.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I really lost my shit at how they adapted it! The yukako episodes are some of my favorite Jojo moments because I had a very similar situation in my life when I was younger, but without stands and all the epic shite.
DavidProfessional just doing their duty.

Also punching spaghetti is next. another epic wtf Jojo moment.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Even Stardust Crusaders' Monster-Of-The-Week antics still made it feel like things were progressing. It also doesn't help that the main villain has a serious case of DGAF.

With such miniscule progression, there may as well not even be any. At least this arc introduces side characters that have roles in later stories. Even though the main story only appears sporadically, I think it's better than having a good 30+ episodes in the middle that can be skipped.

And what do you mean DGAF?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
Even Stardust Crusaders' Monster-Of-The-Week antics still made it feel like things were progressing. It also doesn't help that the main villain has a serious case of DGAF.

With such miniscule progression, there may as well not even be any. At least this arc introduces side characters that have roles in later stories. Even though the main story only appears sporadically, I think it's better than having a good 30+ episodes in the middle that can be skipped.

And what do you mean DGAF?

The thing is SC did make major progression due to the setting. First they start in Japan, then they hit Hong Kong, Singapore, India, Pakistan, the Arabian Desert, finally arrive in Egypt. The only time there was major lollygagging was when they were in the desert as there were fewer geographical changes to indicate progress. Furthermore a lot of the characters in DiU have reduced roles as things go on. The only guys not introduced in the beginning that are major and stay that way are Okuyasu and Rohan with the others turning into glorified extras.

And DGAF means "Don't Give A fudge" i.e. the villain is not proactive and thus has trouble keeping in the story.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:03 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

The impression I got from Stands is that most of them are non-sentient, with the Stand user mentally willing all of a Stand's movements or setting it on a robotic autopilot. Stands are treated as an extension of the user, the way how some Stand users talk through their Stands like Aqua Necklace and Chili Pepper.

I'm not entirely clear on how Echoes creates its powers fairly independently of Koichi, but everything it does is still related to at least one thought of Koichi's. I would guess that it's due to Koichi not having full understanding of Echoes' Act 2 abilities. You see something similar at the beginning of Stardust Crusaders, when Jotaro is in that jail cell: Star Platinum acts pretty independently of Jotaro, but when Jotaro learns to control his Stand through Avdol's training, Star Platinum stops doing that entirely and does only what Jotaro wants it to do. (Makes me wonder what kind of destructive actions Stands like The Sun or The Hand did before their users gained control of them.)
Levance

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
I'm sure you'll be getting that Oomph once the anime reach the "Yoshikage Kira wants a quiet life" or the "Sheer Heart Attack" arcs
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 28