• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Music Industry Sees 1st Rise in 3 Years

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
They know the Beatles split up 45 years ago, right?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
The Beetles are still winning awards despite breaking up almost 50 years ago. I'm glad Muse won an award but there's still the typical groups winning for the most part, can't Japan give other groups in the country a chance.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
The Beetles are still winning awards despite breaking up almost 50 years ago. I'm glad Muse won an award but there's still the typical groups winning for the most part, can't Japan give other groups in the country a chance.

To be fair, this is the first time in 4 years that AKB48 didn't win best Japanese artist. A different idol group winning is something, I guess.
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
The Beatles.....???? Didn't they break up and half of them are dead?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
It's been five decades since the disbandment of The Beatles and they're still winning awards. Their music must really be iconic to even newer generations...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Streaming brings music industry first growth in nearly 20 years:

• The recorded music industry has enjoyed its first significant growth since the dawn of the Internet age, as streaming led digital to overtake physical sales, a global trade body says.

Recorded music revenue expanded by 3.2% in 2015 worldwide to $15 billion, fueled by an extraordinary growth in subscriptions to streaming services, according to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry.

The rapid growth of streaming services such as Spotify—which allow unlimited, on-demand music online—led digital music to surpass sagging physical sales for the first time last year.

The industry federation estimated that 68 million people around the world had digital subscriptions, compared with just eight million in 2010 when it started keeping track.

Streaming revenue grew by 45.2% in the past year alone, nearly matching sales from digital downloads on iTunes and other sites.

Japan, the largest market after the United States, saw music sales grow by three percent—reversing several years of steep declines that contributed to dragging down the global industry.

The growth was the result in part of the introduction of streaming including Apple Music to Japan where, in sharp contrast to most of the world, some three-quarters of sales are CDs or, to an increasing extent, vinyl.

Latin America was the fastest-growing region, with revenue jumping 11.8% on soaring interest in streaming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1