• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales of Zestira the X (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Anime Sorey never went on about saving everyone, though. Saving dragons, sure, but not everyone (at least not to Shiro levels). I mean, he wasn't particularly upset that he couldn't stop Rose from killing (or at least fatally wounding) that prince guy. Maybe this Sorey already knows you can't save everyone, but that's no reason not to try.

Instead the focus is more on malevolence and how to deal with it. Negative emotions exist within all of us and we each have different tolerances for it. Sometimes we encounter such a huge mass of it that you can't take it on alone, but by sharing the burden you can rising up above it. Even if you see some other guy looking all untouchable and dealing with problems easily, it might be that he is also getting help from people you can't see.

Standard stuff, sure, but particularly meaningful to me after a rough couple of months. Some one important to me revealed a secret he's kept buried for 50 years but now that we know we can come together and overcome it.

It's certainly a more appropriate message for a story that's supposed to be about people with hearts full of zest.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
I prefer Sorey the way he is. I guess in the game his character arc is learning spoiler[it's okay to kill people], which I don't have an inherent issue with but I don't think it really suits an optimistic and energetic person like him.

It's less that, and more spoiler[you can't save everyone]. That's why Rose is so important to be with him, because spoiler[when it comes to them having to flat-out kill someone who's refusing to be purified, she does the deed so that he doesn't have to, because even if it was the only option, he'd feel guilty and it would cause malevolence]. That's also ties into spoiler[Edna's] arc, since spoiler[you don't really have a chance against Eizen until Edna recognizes that there's no way to save her brother, and fights with you to take him down].

Yep. By taking out one major aspect of the game's story it's basically stopped any development that could have arose from many of the characters not just Sorey. If I'm speaking honestly the only character that has went through meaningful development so far is Rose. The seraphs are largely ignored except for Dezel and he's mostly content if Rose is happy. I did think Rose was a bit Mary Suish in the game but she wasn't Tatsuyagod levels or anything.

I even disagree with spoiler[Maltran being a good guy in this version]. While it wasn't the best developed twist it's one of the only events in the game that truly makes Alisha doubt herself while her anime version is pretty much endlessly determined.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23

It's odd to see Zaveid there. I feel like he is not a proper member of the group. I feel like we missed his character arc which probably would have involved Edna's brother.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 23:

That Rose and Dezel scene at the end was heartwarming. They didn't know each other for too long but their character chemistry was quite unique among the other cast (personally, I like the duo more than any others from the anime so far). Sad to see Dezel say farewell at the end Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:23 am Reply with quote
I felt the feels. I am bothered by one thing, however. Sure, Sorey's "we won't kill anybody" is a nice thought and all, but it made Dezel's sacrifice inevitable. Forcing a situation where an ally has to sacrifice himself when there was another option - using the dragon killing gun - seems to break the spirit of the "we won't kill anybody" rule.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling the true nature/purpose of the gun is going to be changed in the anime. It's not just a "dragon killing" gun.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Of course! Dragon fleshlight!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I have a feeling the true nature/purpose of the gun is going to be changed in the anime. It's not just a "dragon killing" gun.

That's possible, but it's irrelevant to my point. Team Sorey has what they believe is a dragon killing gun. Certainly, that's what Dezel believed it could do. But Sorey wouldn't let him use it because, "we don't kill anybody." Which is all well and good except that meant the only way that Dezel could get neutralize the dragons was to kill himself. Well played, Sorey.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:17 pm Reply with quote
That's actually part of my point... In the game, the gun spoiler[functioned by shooting Seraphim souls as bullets, which would most likely kill the Seraph used]. Which, assuming Dezel knew that, meant that spoiler[he was dead whether or not the gun was used]. In fact, in the game, spoiler[that was how he died. Symonne was corrupting Rose with Malevolence, and the only way to save her was for Dezel to sacrifice himself by having Sorey use him as the bullet to stop the Hellion corrupting Rose].

But, as my post before pointed out, they seem to be picking and choosing what parts of the game to carry over, with no indication on what things they expect us to already understand (like Lailah's quirkiness/refusal to answer questions) and what parts they're changing (possibly this).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I see. However, I don't get the impression that Sorey prevented Dezel from (game spoiler) spoiler[using the gun because he thought it would kill him. I thought he stopped him from using it because it would kill a dragon instead of purifying it.] So I'm back to where I started, which is - based on what the anime has shown us - Sorey inadvertantly ensured that Dezel would have to die but not letting him using the gun.

Last edited by Blood- on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
Eh, I wouldn't really harsh on Sorey for it. Dezel clearly intended to die no matter what they decided to do.

I'd say the biggest crime is they had the perfect chance to animate Sylphystia but they didn't.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Eh, I wouldn't really harsh on Sorey for it. Dezel clearly intended to die no matter what they decided to do.

But as Dessa pointed out, that's actually unclear. If the dragon killing gun (game spoiler) spoiler[works the same way in the anime as it does in the game, then yes, he would have died, no matter what. But if that has been changed - as other things have been changed - then maybe he could have used it to get rid of the dragons and still lived.] Mr. Holier Than Thou made sure that wasn't even an option, though.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
If you know your voice actors, then this episode has a big Berseria spoiler. Be warned.

So we got Heldalf's backstory in pretty much the exact manner I expected we would. While sure, it does suck that he's cursed to be alone for eternity, but it's hard to feel sorry for him since he was the one who betrayed Michael in the first place.

So Sorey becomes Captain Planet. Too bad we have to wait a month for the finale.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Okay, yeah, I recognize the voice, so I can't even watch this episode, doesn't look like skipping past Berseria spoilers is gonna work.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, that really is the only spoiler, and if you've recognised the voice then you already know the spoiler. The rest of the episode is okay to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 18