• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales of Zestira the X (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
There's a misconception that strength = a lack of weakness, especially when it comes to female characters (see the hate Metroid Other M got because they dared to give Samus some human emotion) but some one who admits their weakness but soldiers on anyways is far more admirable than some one who acts tough all the time.

Goes a little off topic, but I am one of the few people that kind of liked the human weakness added to Samus in Other M, with the exception of one scene, but it did not ruin the game/story.

I am even of an opinion that a character lacking fear does not make them strong. Everyone feels fear, so seeing one have it and fight through it all makes the better character.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Goes a little off topic, but I am one of the few people that kind of liked the human weakness added to Samus in Other M, with the exception of one scene, but it did not ruin the game/story.

I loved Other M specifically because it made Samus an actual character. Even the scene with Ridley enhanced things because for the first time in the franchise Ridley felt like an actual threat, one I had a personal interest in taking down.

Anyways, another way that Alisha breaks type is that she acts friendly and respectful towards Sorey. She politely declines his offered hand whereas another girl might have slapped it away, demanding he not demean her ("Stop holding my hand!").
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
I also liked the Alisha moments. Courage is about facing your fears. Strength is about overcoming your weaknesses. Alisha could have just crawled into a corner, but she went on despite being terrified.

I haven't played Metroid games (boo Nintendo), but I always thought that people were pissed because Samus was acting out of character in Other M not because people hate characters who show their weaknesses. I mean if Half Life 3 ever comes out and Gordon Freeman all of sudden gets frightened over aliens I'd definitely go: "That's not Gordon Freeman!"
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
The thing is that Metroid games are about Samus alone on a planet, killing things. No opportunities for characterization when there's no dialogue or an actual plot. Fan's image of Samus was entirely constructed in their own heads: the lone bounty hunter who kills everything in her way with no mercy. She might as well have been a robot. Metroid Fusion went a long way to turning her into an actual character, and Other M even more so. That image didn't match with what was in their heads and thus drama. The claims of sexism ("How dare Samus take orders from a MAN!!!") just makes it worse.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I've read some comments about all the controversy before, but I can't really have an opinion on Samus since my only exposure to Metroid is having played some Metroid game like 10 years ago for 5 minutes at a friend's house. Anyway yes, Alisha seems like a likable character so far.

But uhh I feel like leatherhead might show up soon and go "I can't talk about the game this anime is based on, but you guys can talk about a completely irrelevant game?! *RAGE*"
Razz

S-Sorry.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
But uhh I feel like leatherhead might show up soon and go "I can't talk about the game this anime is based on, but you guys can talk about a completely irrelevant game?! *RAGE*"

At which point I will act like a nine year old and go "Haha, how do you like it?"

The show has done well to portray Alisha as competent and not some helpless princess that needs to be saved all the time. And this isn't lost in the face of all the hardship she's enduring because the threats are shown to be on such a massive scale that it's just too much for any ordinary human to handle.

She's not in danger because she's a pampered princess, she's in danger because the threat is just that dangerous.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Cam0 wrote:

At which point I will act like a nine year old and go "Haha, how do you like it?"

Not sure what you mean by that. I put spoiler stuff in spoiler tags. You didn't. That's hypocrisy, which means your statement makes literally zero sense. Congratulations. Wink
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:18 am Reply with quote
Well I didn't even post anything spoilerific that needed tagging, so there Razz
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
You know, there's something that's been bugging me since I played the game, that I'd like outside thoughts on.

I'll mark this all in spoilers, but please note that a) it's from an optional skit that will not be even mentioned in the game, and b) it's about in-universe game mechanics (specifically, the weapons that the Seraphs use).

spoiler[In one skit, Edna talks about the elemental weakness/strength rotation, and how they relate to weapons. For background, Fire is weak to Water, Water is weak to Earth, Earth is weak to Wind, and Wind is weak to Fire. In the skit, Edna points out that Seraphs use the weapon aligned with the element that their element is strong to, because it gives them more power. If you use a weapon aligned with the element that your element is weak to, it'll hinder you (but, in the long run, you could become more powerful, since you have to work harder to overcome the obstacle).]

spoiler[The reason she points this out, is because Mikleo uses a staff, which is an earth-aligned weapon, with him being a Water Seraph. She uses an umbrella, aligned with water, and she's an Earth Seraph. Dezel uses a pendulum, earth-aligned, and is a Wind Seraph. Lailah uses paper, wind-aligned, and is a Fire Seraph.]

So here's what I'm curious on: spoiler[No one ever uses a fire-aligned weapon, and I'm stumped on what one might be!] Anyone have any thoughts?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
This week...

Well the segment of Alisha this episode after meeting the others is quite similar to the OVA.

Rest of the episode is what I liked with the character focus. Alisha still has some PTSD moments as well. Sorey already developed some trust with Alisha too. What a bro. I haven't played the game yet so I don't know much about the Hellions so hopefully they get more into depth about those creatures later on.

On the technical front, I think ufotable [expletive] nailed this episode. A lot of strong visual scenes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
No NOM NOM in this version.

Like with the special I really like how open (for the most part) and friendly Alisha is with Sorey. No acting tough, no being unnecessarily belligerent, no ultra prideful tsundere type behaviour you'd expect in these situations. And Sorey for his part is quite the sweetheart, going to such lengths to cheer her up.

I'll look forward to Mikleo's funny faces next week.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Yup this show is very entertaining right now. Episode 0 wasn't great, but everything after that has been. Looking forward to Sorey surprising everyone by pulling that sword out. At least I'd assume he'll be the one to do that, right? Maybe?
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I always felt the game (and TV special) version of Lunarre's introduction was a little unnecessarily brutal: spoiler["Let's just stand here while the intruder slowly unhinges his jaw and swallows our friend whole."] I had emotionally prepared myself to sit through it yet again, so having it not happen at all was a pleasant surprise. The recovery scene afterwards is probably the highlight of the game-fanservice additions so far. Maybe even better than the Indiana Jones waist-grab Sorey gave Mikleo in episode 1. But only a little.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Well this is definitely the best show so far this season when everything is taken into account. Maybe that's not saying too much, but i'm enjoying it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:35 pm Reply with quote
The Hellions do get a bit more explained in the game, and I'm assuming that we'll get a bit more in the anime (since it's rather important), but there is one major thing that helps explain a bit about this episode that was skipped: spoiler[Only those with purification powers can actually hurt and/or kill Hellions. Normal humans, or Seraphs who do not have purification powers (I'm pretty sure Jiji does), can only drive them off.] That's why spoiler[Sorey was surprised that he didn't do any damage. Because they skipped Mikleo explaining during the tutorial it in the ruins when they ran into the spider Hellions. Totally not upset they skipped the spiders. Way too many of them in the game.]

Very glad that the fight was not like it was in the anime, in the game. Sure, it looked awesome, but that was a pretty tough boss battle as it was, if it were like the anime, it would've been even harder!

While the pacing has felt perfect to me thus far, I am slightly worried about how much time we've taken getting through the introduction to the story. I'm guessing that next episode will be spoiler[everything in Ladylake, condensed quite a bit], and after that will be spoiler[getting Edna] followed by spoiler[the stuff in Marlind]. That'll put us to 6/13 episodes on the cour, and not even to the quarter point in the game. I've been trying to think of where a good breaking point would be, but the only one I can think of would require skipping quite a bit to get there in time: [Major game spoilers] spoiler[Dezel's death, and skipping the Trials].

I suppose it's possible to get there without skipping, or with condensing stuff, but it'll be iffy. If we do get to that point at the cour break, the second cour should flow quite nicely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 18