• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Are Japanese Bento Boxes Really So Extravagant?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Actar

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
Not to mention, many mothers take pride in making bentos that look good as they can represent how much they love their kids. Also, it's a source of comparison in the classroom. Seriously, no one wants their kid to be the only one with a plain bento in class. It can and has been a reason for bullying.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Not to mention, many mothers take pride in making bentos that look good as they can represent how much they love their kids. Also, it's a source of comparison in the classroom. Seriously, no one wants their kid to be the only one with a plain bento in class. It can and has been a reason for bullying.

All this drama for a freaking lunchbox. Rolling Eyes
Don't schools have a school mess where the students can eat ? Or in Japan everyone is required to bring his/her own food to school ? If that's the case then it sucks.

As for anime, it's all an exageration and doesn't correspond to reality. It's like trying to understand america and americans from the us tv series you watch on tv. You're going to get a pretty distorted view.
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Actar wrote:

All this drama for a freaking lunchbox. Rolling Eyes

Given that bullying seems to be at least as much of a problem in Japan as it is in the U.S., I would more be surprised if kids didn't get bullied based on their bento.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Given that bullying seems to be at least as much of a problem in Japan as it is in the U.S., I would more be surprised if kids didn't get bullied based on their bento.

How times have changed. When I was a kid, we got bullied from time to time. But never for a stupid lunchbox. Remember those ? Made in stainless steel with pictures of your heroes. Six million dollar man, space 1999 etc...
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But upon closer inspection, most of them aren't all THAT hard to make, they just have a lot of stuff. And in many cases, home cooks are re-using the previous night's leftovers in creative ways.

Yes. Or the components of the bento were made alongside dinner, it's pretty easy to fry up a small patty when making hamburg steak. Or they were made ahead in bulk and refrigerated or frozen.

Quote:
Also you must keep in mind that actual Japanese bento boxes are TINY. I mean, I eat a lot even by American standards, but whenever I go to a Japanese housewares store and see the actual little boxes used for bento, I marvel that one of those could actually fill a human being. To me, they look about the size of a cat food bowl.

You can fit more food than you think into even what looks like a tiny box. And bento typically contain quite a bit of rice, which is quite filling. But the biggest thing is, most of the bento boxes you see in the West are actually child sized or intended for women. For some weird reason, the larger sizes don't get imported as much.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Key wrote:

How times have changed. When I was a kid, we got bullied from time to time. But never for a stupid lunchbox. Remember those ? Made in stainless steel with pictures of your heroes. Six million dollar man, space 1999 etc...

Yet you'd still be made fun of if you weren't keeping up with the Joneses and had a lunchbox of a died out fad plastered on it. Kids are jerks no matter where in the globe you are.

I also don't understand why you need to eat until you fill yourself up for breakfast. Won't the bloat actually tire you out throughout the day? That's why I always thought the "breakfast menu" at McD's or whatever needs a complete makeover.

And I'm glad cereal isn't a big thing in Japan.They're nothing more than processed wheat flakes and I've always had the impression that whoever eats them either belong to a juvenile or geriatric ward.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
I also don't understand why you need to eat until you fill yourself up for breakfast. Won't the bloat actually tire you out throughout the day? That's why I always thought the "breakfast menu" at McD's or whatever needs a complete makeover.

Depends on your line of work. If what you're doing requires a lot of energy, then a large breakfast is necessary so you don't get tired out, like the farmer's breakfast or the lumberjack's breakfast.

Breakfasts in Peru and Colombia are absolutely enormous compared to those breakfast sandwiches at McDonald's, and I'm sure it's connected to their numerous working class with high-energy jobs.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

Depends on your line of work. If what you're doing requires a lot of energy, then a large breakfast is necessary so you don't get tired out, like the farmer's breakfast or the lumberjack's breakfast.

Breakfasts in Peru and Colombia are absolutely enormous compared to those breakfast sandwiches at McDonald's, and I'm sure it's connected to their numerous working class with high-energy jobs.

That's the thing though. Westerners on average don't need to eat that much anymore on account of them taking more desk jobs than working on the fields. With the amount of actual work equating to just moving a swivel chair around, typing on a keyboard and walking cubicle to cubicle, carrot and celery sticks are more efficient and healthier options than the good ol' bacon and eggs combo.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
That's the thing though. Westerners on average don't need to eat that much anymore on account of them taking more desk jobs than working on the fields. With the amount of actual work equating to just moving a swivel chair around, typing on a keyboard and walking cubicle to cubicle, carrot and celery sticks are more efficient and healthier options than the good ol' bacon and eggs combo.

Those kinds of jobs are getting outsourced to other countries (particularly India, and until recently, Canada) at such a rapid rate that the service sector is rapidly overtaking all other sectors, as it's the only sector that cannot be outsourced. Service sectors involve direct interaction with clients, usually many of them per day, and are definitely high-energy.

That being said, you could argue that fields like law, customer service (which is becoming more domestic again) and mid-level management are also service sector, and those are definitely sit-in-an-office kind of jobs.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
It's not that the time has changed, more like kids acting like kids instead. Anything can be a source for bullying especially if it's teasable. Don't know about those things you've mentioned since I'm from Asia and those are probably western stuff but I rarely brought lunch pack to school back then. It was not really feasible since it would always spilled out from the container.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:24 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:

My breakfast consists of a tiny cup of black coffee (an expresso) and 2 croissants. It's more than enough to get me through till 12:30/13:00 when I lunch.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:

You have stats on that? I work a desk job, but almost everyone I know doesn't, or their desk is only a place to sit to eat lunch. People who run their own businesses, those in retail or services industries like nurses, stylists, cooks, waiters, farmers, engineers, city and construction workers, teachers and students-- everything I can think of that the people I know do all involves a lot of running around, except my job. So they need a good breakfast to help their minds and bodies work right. If you're just drinking coffee, your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs to work at its best level.

Me, I eat oatmeal made with water, fat free yogurt and fresh fruit per a nutritionist. And a multivitamin, per my doc. That keeps the motor up and running until lunch.
GVman

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
You know, I've heard the myths and legends about how much Justin can eat, but I wanna actually see it for myself.

Paiprince wrote:

"Being full" doesn't mean "stuffed like a sausage." It simply means eating until you're not hungry.

On another note, I've never found McDonald's breakfast to be particularly filling, but, then again, I've also eaten a whole triple meat cheeseburger with a large order of fries for breakfast before, and I was still hungry afterwards. Ah, teenaged youth. I miss those days sometimes...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2