• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Taboo-Tattoo (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Kind of wish they just did something that felt like a full resolution here, but I guess they want to sell more manga or something. The preview of events to come was ridiculous, things like taking a battle to the south pole (for some reason), and the Sargent screaming his now signature phrase "clown" in a jungle while things explode around him. But the rest of the episode was kind of bad too as it felt really poorly explained or built up that we would have this giant monster battle. It did feel like they wanted it to be awesome, but it did not quite feel like that, instead it felt like they could be a bit lazier by with the choreography while characters spout various things.

Taboo Tattoo was not good. Occasionally there were things that were not too bad, and I think some times it fell into the so bad it is good camp, together it created a string of moments that kept me entertained. I was even a fan of some of the strange pacing as just getting through things. But overall it kind of fell into the court of trying to say a bunch of things about nothing, and with some occasionally strange focus. The death of Touko was a bit of a surprise, but I think that it felt like it was trying to be too edgy and made the show after that feel too mismatched to the more school setting earlier. Like that one episode where they played ping pong.

I would say that it was one of J.C. Staff's duds, although it did in ways feel a bit like Heavy Object, it did not feel like it had many things in its favour. Maybe it was that this story did feel a little cramped that the transition was just kind of sudden. I can say that it was better than Big Order. I give a rating of So-so (5/10), it was not really good, but I think it had enough in here to still be entertaining if you not expecting anything too big.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
My good buddy DuskyPredator basically covered all of my points above, so no point in repeating the same thoughts in different words. I felt the show started relatively well, then lost its way. By the end, it was really just a collection of gobbley-gook. I nterpret that werid ending scene as the animators hope that they get another season, but even if that happens, I don't think I'll be around for it. Unless they bring back Touka. Her marvelous assets were a highlight for me.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
What the storyboard probably said:

"And then some stuff happens."
(next page)
"More stuff happens."
(next page)
"Include additional stuff."
(next page)
"*shrug*"

The Severing Crime Edge did the same montage thing at the end. I assume it's an attempt to direct interested parties to the source material, but at least that show gave you the "gee, I wonder what weird fetish they're going to use next" suspense factor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3