• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Girls & Panzer Film's Box Office Earnings Surpass 3rd Madoka Magica Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ejc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
@Ejc

I have two questions:

What are you trying to show with all of that?

What are the movies on the chart?
I cannot read the titles.

1. GaruPan's movie earnings are heavily inflated compared to Madoka, Love Live! and K-ON!, since none of the three had 4DX screenings. If someone only knew the gross numbers, did not know how many tickets have been sold, over what time period, and that GaruPan Movie had 4DX screenings, then they would not know how inflated the movie earnings are. That's why the chart is there.
2. Highlighting how long it took for GaruPan to make 800 million yen after it started its 4DX run in late February, and how it is currently doing to show that it has a slim chance of making 2.86 billion yen, unless it has incredible luck since the BD has just been released.
3. まどか = Madoka, けいおん! = K-ON!, ラブライブ!= Love Live!, ガルパン = GaruPan (short form of Girls & Panzer). Basically the Top 4 late-night TV Anime Movies in terms of gross earnings is on that chart.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
@Mr. Oshawott,
Thank you for translating the movie titles.

Ejc wrote:
GaruPan's movie earnings are heavily inflated . . .

OK. Thank you.

And thank you for also identifying the movies on the chart.
That is very helpful, and interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
c933103

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Ejc wrote:
Touma wrote:
@Ejc

I have two questions:

What are you trying to show with all of that?

What are the movies on the chart?
I cannot read the titles.

1. GaruPan's movie earnings are heavily inflated compared to Madoka, Love Live! and K-ON!, since none of the three had 4DX screenings. If someone only knew the gross numbers, did not know how many tickets have been sold, over what time period, and that GaruPan Movie had 4DX screenings, then they would not know how inflated the movie earnings are. That's why the chart is there.
2. Highlighting how long it took for GaruPan to make 800 million yen after it started its 4DX run in late February, and how it is currently doing to show that it has a slim chance of making 2.86 billion yen, unless it has incredible luck since the BD has just been released.
3. まどか = Madoka, けいおん! = K-ON!, ラブライブ!= Love Live!, ガルパン = GaruPan (short form of Girls & Panzer). Basically the Top 4 late-night TV Anime Movies in terms of gross earnings is on that chart.

Not every movie are suitable to be shown in 4DX. The genre of garupan movie made it suitable for 4DX screening and successfully made people watch the movie at a higher ticket price. I would consider it as part of the performance of movie, not something being inflated.

In the other hand, even if you know the gross ticket sale, it would not be helpful to analyse how many people interested in the movie, since so many people watch PMMM, LL, GuP, Madoka literally dozens of time, and the weekly special thing made people watch the movie for the special, which would distort the number of viewership by mamy times. In garupan's case, the 4DX version itself can be seen as another promotional effort to made people watch the movie again
Ejc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
You make it seem like GaruPan did not have film strips or other such giveaways, but it did have it too. Even just as recently as in weekend 27 it had a film strip! I'm more of commenting on the average ticket price of 4DX screenings for GaruPan rather than how many people watch the movies.

So we have 1,264,313 attendees for ¥2,136,832,984 in GaruPan's case vs 2,000,000 attendees for ¥2,800,000,000 in Love Live!'s case (we don't know its attendees number at its final ¥2,860,000,000). Clearly if the average ticket price was as high as GaruPan for Love Live!, due to the 4DX screenings being ¥1,000 higher than the usual ticket price, Love Live! would've grossed like almost ¥3,400,000,000. This is what i'm getting at. It is clear from the trajectory on the graph I posted in an earlier post, that the 4DX screenings is like another entirely new run of attendance from fans with a much higher ticket price.

[EDIT: Please don't over-quote. Thanks. -TK]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2