• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love Live! Sunshine!! Anime's Trailer Reveals Simultaneous Worldwide Launch in July

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why the term "simultaneous worldwide launch" would mean anything special. After all, it was going to air in subbed form for Americans anyway. Unless this means a surprise dub to go along with the premiere, I'm not feeling it.

[I am looking forward to the program, though]
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I would only WANT a sub right now. I'd rather they focus on that rather than wasting time, money, and effort coordinating to get a simultaneous US dub out.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
I don't know why the term "simultaneous worldwide launch" would mean anything special. After all, it was going to air in subbed form for Americans anyway. Unless this means a surprise dub to go along with the premiere, I'm not feeling it.
Love Live Season 1 and 2 didn't get subbed simultaneously. Crunchryoll didn't upload the episodes until a full day or so after they aired Japan. With most shows there's a delay of at least a few hours or maybe even a few days in the case of shows like Dagashi Kashi.

So yes, this IS a big deal. This is the sort of treatment usually reserved for shows like Attack on Titan.

Last edited by SquadmemberRitsu on Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I would only WANT a sub right now. I'd rather they focus on that rather than wasting time, money, and effort coordinating to get a simultaneous US dub out.

Where on that article does it even mention a dub?????

(Looks again) ... nope not there!!
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
That trailer music is disgustingly good for a fluffy idol show. It's just so triumphant, like something I'd hear out of a much older anime. Anyway Bandai Namco group is really big on trying to get things out as close together as possible and in as many languages as possible lately. It seems like they're trying to take an inclusionary approach to marketing anime and games around the world with such things like recent Super Robot Wars games getting English subtitles and some anime like Gundam Unicorn having a non region version that has subtitles in multiple languages and an English dub included on that world version. Of course this is somewhat self serving as they are marketed at the Japanese prices much like Aniplex and Pony Canyon releases
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
Well I didn't see this one coming I thought that they were going to stream Sunshine!! just like the original Love Live! streaming the English subbed episodes a couple of hours after the original Japanese broadcast. oh well like they always say the sooner the better. Smile
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
They're sending six of the nine seiyuu to America on the day of the premier so I don't think a simultaenous worldwide launch is too surprising. They seem to be putting more effort in for international fans this time around.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
I can respect this strategy. It seems to almost be the exact opposite of Aniplex's exclusionary policy toward international audiences right now, in some ways. Bandai seems to be interested in letting international fans have exactly what their Japanese fans get. Aniplex seems much more intent on keeping the special stuff for their special Japanese fans and giving us the leftovers that they aren't worried about having reverse imported... but anyway, this is sort of a half off-topic rant.

ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Where on that article does it even mention a dub?????

(Looks again) ... nope not there!!

Kougeru was replying to the comment above them, not the article.
Ejc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure the simultaneous worldwide release will be in subtitles, rather than a dub version. On the topic at hand, the more important things for the franchise is more to do with:

● Saturday at 22:30 means the teenage fans (they make up 55.7% of the Love Live! fanbase in 2014... 30.2% female, 25.5% male) do not have to worry about forgoing sleep before a school day, and adult fans that also work, do not have to worry about forgoing sleep before a work day.
● Internet channels (Bandai Channel, LINE LIVE, and Nico Nico), means that more fans can catch the broadcast live every week, especially if their region only has paid TV channels.
● No worries of getting spoiled if you live in a region where the broadcast is after the initial weekly broadcast, which is a big issue for other late-night anime.
● It means overseas fans do not have to search for a live stream to watch. LINE LIVE and Nico Nico are not region restricted, but sometimes you need to have a paid premium account on Nico Nico if there are many watchers at once. So the best option for overseas fans is LINE LIVE (I use that to watch the Aqours live streams).

A lot of things definitely worked in Love Live!'s favour because it is a high profile franchise after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1