• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Rebirth of Sailor Moon Crystal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dysflux

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Yeah, Toei is definitely not the same, but they've improved somewhat (did you see the final episode? I felt it was disappointing, but not horrible).

True, most of the things Naoko was unhappy with was in the fifth season.

Lol I actually really liked the final episode. It really made up for the last few episodes so I'm pretty hopefully about Dream arc now. Nothing bothered me too much this time around.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Glad you liked it.

Me, what's just as annoying is some people go around disrespecting my opinions/others'. One person went around spamming this stupid message on Youtube (I flagged it also because it's still spam):

"This was a great final battle. There, I said the truth. 90's fans should take off their nostalgia goggles, and I'm one of them. The Sailor Moon series was NEVER meant to be a Dragon Ball Z series where sailor senshis are blasting the final boss with energy beams yet Toei also gave us that as a bonus. Sailor Moon bosses were always meant to be defeated in symbolic ways and if that comes across as "flat, disappointing, and/or lackluster" to some of you then there's nothing we can do about that -- it's your own peogative. I, however, felt this was a great finale to wrap up one of my most favorite and action-packed arc of the Sailor Moon series."

Evil or Very Mad

See what I mean? They are just disrespecting different opinions and claiming theirs is "the truth"/fact as only it matters, and that if we don't agree, we're "blinded by nostalgia". The use of "nostalgia goggles" is stupid because it's like they don't want to hear any criticism for this series at all and it's just insulting to Sailor Moon fans who have seen the original/read the manga and love both. Evil or Very Mad

Like SailorTralfamadore said in one of the Crystal forums, it's frustrating to be accused of that, because it's not the case with most of us and it's more like those people who accuse that just don't want to engage or know about any criticisms that the show is being given, even if the criticism is valid.

This is what I think of the Crystal fanbase in general (not talking about people here though): http://seiya-meteorite.deviantart.com/journal/Reason-why-IMO-Most-SMC-fans-are-[expletive]-HORRIBLE-612208901#

That person is a perfect example of why I hate the Crystal fanbase. Most of the time if you disagree or such, they'll insult you and call you a hater, claim that you're "not a true fan", claim that you're "blinded by nostalgia", give you a half-assed warning or make up another half-assed excuse (looks like they're doing a bit of the latter there), and such. I sometimes feel like an outcast or it's hard to be a fan of the 90's anime. I've heard the 90's fanbase acts like that also, but from what I've seen, Crystal's is more obnoxious and acts way more like that. It's just as bad as the MLP: FiM one, and I swear they're turning into the Go!Animate one, full of opinion disrespecters...Anime hyper
Almighty Cod

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I find it something of a shame that quality like this has become acceptable, let alone praiseworthy.
Even without comparing this to other adaptations, Crystal is still a pretty sorry looking and easily forgettable show.
Lazy writing and characterization abound, and you can't entirely blame Naoko for this. The people in charge of the scripting don't seem like they can be bothered half the time. And that the name and reputation alone will sell it.

I've already listed my criticisms in the Season 3 discussion thread, so I'm not going to repeat myself. Though I will stress that the Inner Senshi deserve far better then this.

Sadly the impression I get is that Toei seems a lot more focused on merchandise aimed at people who grew up with the series, rather then creating something special for today's generation.
I can't speak for everybody, but if I was a kid I'd generally be bored stiff by Crystal. And it doesn't really have much to offer anyone above that age group, especially if they're already familiar with the source material beforehand.

At it's core, Sailor Moon should be a fun bit of escapism, with vibrant and relatable characters. And it barely delivers apart from those brief moments of humour.
The recent musicals for me, provide a glimpse at what Crystal could have been. Those blend elements from both the Anime and Manga together a lot more effectively. Corrects more of the flaws, whilst updating it to a modern setting.

whiskeyii wrote:
Personally, I prefer Classic!Rei for the reasons you listed above, but elegant characters usually don't much for me anyways.

I concur. Anime Rei love should unashamedly be spread.

Heaven knows she gets more then enough grief already.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
True, I think Toei's more focused on merchandise, that's the real reason Crystal Season III got greenlighted, enough merchandise was sold, and from what I know of, it was merchandise mostly based on the original anime rather than the new one, the new one's Blu-Rays sold terribly, not even the Crystal Figuarts Zero figures I've heard have sold well, which is a damn shame, as they do look cool.

Yes, Toei should be blamed for sticking too close to the manga without getting rid of its major flaws, it's a shame how a good amount of fans (not generalizing or pointing fingers here) don't even acknowledge or know a ton of the flaws the manga has. And for Season III, while at times I think the good outweighs the flaws, it's actually a two sided sword, other times, I feel the flaws far outweigh them.

I say Sailor Moon Super (original) > Sailor Moon Crystal Season III, about every comparison I can come up with, minus the Inners having new powers in Season III and parts of the final battle and such, and maybe some backgrounds of Crystal Season III, S wins. Yeah, if Crystal was the only Sailor Moon anime, it is one I never would have loved at all, and if I were introduced to Sailor Moon that way, I'd be wondering "how the hell did this show even get so damn popular?" and probably even think of it like the Twilight series...yeah. Hopefully people who are introduced to Sailor Moon through Crystal will think it's terrible and check out the far superior original...

I love Rei in the anime too, she was far better than both her manga/Crystal counterpart, and I found a hilarious image of her too here:

Also 90's anime Sailor Mercury/Ami for the win. I love her kind, sweet, motherly attitude and intelligence that Crystal Ami never has even had, plus at least she was useful against her Witches 5/Akayashi Sister counterparts.
Almighty Cod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
You know, I've generally learned to turn a blind eye to Crystal's animation. But that particular shot is forever going to stay with me...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4