• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Horrible Girlfriends [2016-06-25]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Green Luthor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
I feel that Shuffle!'s Fuyō Kaede's description is a bit lacking, since her confession at the end of the show was after spoiler[she had a cathartic release -- that had a lot of crying and angry outbursts]. Her development was a bit lacking overall, and her whole late-show reveal of her past felt forced, but I liked how her story was resolved.

She still "earned" her way unto the List, but I think that she isn't as bad as Higurashi's Sonozaki twins.

I really don't think the anime did Kaede any favors, honestly, but it also seems to overlook how much of an ass Rin comes across as. I mean, he knows that Kaede isn't exactly the most well-adjusted person, so what does he do when he decides to date Asa? He doesn't tell Kaede, and basically just stops talking to her or dealing with her in any way, even though they live in the same house! Yes, Kaede desperately needed some serious therapy, but I'm not sure Rin could have done a better job of trying to drive her around the bend if he had set out to do precisely that. Once he decides (way too many episodes later than he should have) to actually talk things out with Kaede, instead of just flat-out ignoring her, things work out a lot better for all involved.

So... yeah, Rin really doesn't deserve much of a pass on this one himself. In cutting off Kaede, he ends up causing the very problems he seemed to be trying to avoid, which are then resolved by Rin finally doing the thing he wasn't (but should have) done in the first place.

(Eh, but maybe that's just me. I'll admit Kaede is my favorite from Shuffle, but it really seems like Rin caused a lot of Kaede's nuttiness in the second half of the series all on his own...)
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
4 of my waifus are on this list... Seems like I have a thing for girls with mental problems Very Happy
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
The only show on the list that I have seen is Shuffle!, and I definitely do agree about Kaede.
The main reason that I have not seen any of the others is that I try to avoid shows that have characters like that. I watched Shuffle! because I thought that it was a typical harem comedy. By the time that I realized that it had a darker side I was so far into it that I decided to finish it. Overall I enjoyed it enough that I am not sorry that I watched it, but I doubt that I will ever watch it again.

I do not watch any American cartoons so I did not even look at the new poll.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Actually this list is inherently wrong because it assumes that I don't want to die, a great fallacy indeed. if a girl stabs or even kills me it will have all been worth it............

(its self-deprecating humor dont call the suicide hotline or anything)
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
heh this list was funny but i think albedo is missing though its probably because she's the newest addition to the yandere team.

oh higurashi, everyone from that series comes of as horrible/psychotic at some point because of brain parasites or hinamizawa syndrome

as for Kaede i have a soft spot for her since Rin really did treat her poorly despite HIM knowing how badly she needs therapy, cause when youre crazy you think its everyone else whos crazy.

As for Kotonoha I think anyone who isn't an idiot and has seen the entire series can put ALL of the blame on Makoto because really he is the reason for everything. Kotonoha is definitely responsible for her erm actions but it was Makoto who put her in such a F*cked up state in the first place.
This pic always bring a smile to my face

As for yuno... yeah she's... she's pretty F*cked up in the head, its hard to remember that she's WAS an abuse victim who was locked in a cage, forced to eat straw and beaten by her parents. Cause by the time we find this shit out she's already murdered a whole goddamn universe and is gonna keep on going.

... huh funny, idk if its just me but quite a few of these 'horrible' girlfriends seem more like vicitims who desperately need therapy more than intentional not-so-nice-people.
I never saw the source material for the horrible boyfriends but were any of them like that?
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
So many of the shows on this week's poll have been cancelled.
Xavon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that poll...

Avatar the Last Airbender? been over for years, and even the sequel series is done.
Gravity Falls? Finished last year.
Young Justice? Canceled before its time.
Avengers Assemble? Canceled, then relaunched to be closer to the movies, then rebranded.

Why not have Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.? Decent show that was canceled. Or Phineas and Ferb? Might not be new anymore, but it is still on all the time.

Where's Ultimate Spiderman, Teen Titans Go, Penn Zero: Part Time Hero, Guardians of the Galaxy, and all the random LEGO shows?
RocketOtter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
No Harvey Beaks or We Bare Bears in the poll. Sad

Also, didn't know that Clarion from Pandora was an option in the last poll. Wasn't even aware of it. Certainly would've voted for her because she's so [expletive] cute and her show would probably be considered a guilty pleasure of mine if I didn't think that the idea of guilty pleasures in general was [expletive] stupid, surprisingly good development for her as well in the show. (Though someone like Genos would be a better fighting partner, he's [expletive] S-Rank in his own series after all)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Those girlfriends should get the Jodi Arias award:

Also, We Bare Bears Laughing

malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Young Justice shouldn't be on the poll, it finished like three years ago.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Nanako Saeki and her actions in the manga made me drop Flowers of Evil and it always kind of bugged me that it seemed like their wasn't a whole lot of outrage for said actions. maybe there was and I missed it but yeah she rightfully deserves to be on the list. I can understand Yuno being #1 but honestly she just feels like a meme to me.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Mion is my third favorite female anime character (after Taiga from Toradora! and Nagato from Suzumiya Haruhi). She's a fun character and I really don't think she's all that bad. I mean, the mafia ties can be a little dangerous, but if that was enough to be a bad girlfriend in anime, there are tons of other anime girls that would qualify. Going primarily only off of the anime, Mion is spoiler[one of the only main characters that never really goes crazy]. Now Shion, yeah, she kind of deserves to be on the list, but does Mion deserve to be on the list by association? Oh, and I never felt that Misaki was a bad person either. Maybe I need to watch NHK again....

And yeah, the poll is kind of a mess with things that are over already, but I guess that's what happens when anyone who votes can add something to the options. I feel like a pretty comprehensive list could have been put together with a little research and then we could have just not had fill-in entries added to the list. But whatever. It's just for fun and not that serious. I ended up going ahead and voting for Gravity Falls anyway since I didn't have any other third options after Rick & Morty and My Little Pony that I felt strongly enough about.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
pluvia33 wrote:
Oh, and I never felt that Misaki was a bad person either. Maybe I need to watch NHK again....

She kind of literally says it out loud that the only reason she even associates with Sato is to feel better about herself, at first.

It's not like she's an incredibly terrible person, or even as manipulative as the blurb would lead one to think, though. She just has some really deep issues with self-image and whatnot.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
The thing with Kaede is the anime messed her up like that for drama. In the visual novel game, she's devoted and did bad things to him in the past, but she's trying to atone for. Also she doesn't go crazy if Rin picks another girl. Even the Asa route where she's understanding. The Kaede route is actually sweet, and the anime made her go crazy.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
For the poll, Rick and Morty by far!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6