• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yona of the Dawn BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
More maroon than red?! THAT'S IT! NEVER BUYING THIS

(jkjk)
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
This was a broadcast dub I could barely tolerate, which is a shame because I'm a dub watcher. Monica Rial is a bit too nausal sounding and doesn't capture Yona's resolute tone. She makes Yona sound 12. Chris Sabat makes Hak sound 35+ so it's hard for me to get behind them as a couple in the dub.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
Don't get me wrong, I love Monica Rial's voice, but not as Yona's, it was a bit off from her character. I love Rial in Tsubasa Chronicles as Princess Sakura but in AnY as Yona, just no. It's not about the accent, nor the tone or dictation, I dont care about that, but I guess her way of delivering her voice doesn't grasp the personality of Princess Yona s much as I've felt in the original version, Yona's way of talking was cute but very commanding which Rial kinda failed to grasped.

On the other hand, Hak did a good job, it was all hands down to allmight! The thing is that the original Japanese seiyuu "Maeno has the same voice range as Sabat which makes it even more interesting, But its not about the toning he delivered Haks' way of talking very well, it wasnt too forced but he did it naturally, it felt like the original Hak.

I was surprised at Kijas voice(because it was very deep), but as I've said I dont care about the tone I care about the deliveration and Kijas' VA did good! same with the other 4 dragon warriors... You see the tones doesnt match the original voice but the way they delivered it, it matches the originals characters' personality so well so Im happy.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Review wrote:
The pacing of this quest is frustratingly slow

This was my biggest issue with the show as a whole. Pretty much the whole middle portion of the show consists of Yona looking for her eventual companions and some lighthearted adventure. I found that many people seemed to like that part about the show while finding the beginning portion to be cliche and only something necessary to get the story going. My reaction was completely opposite of that. I found the beginning to be exciting, probably my favourite portion of the entire show. The murder, the emotions it invoked and Yona being in denial and traveling only with Hak were what I enjoyed the most.

In fact the only part where I kind of enjoyed the slow pacing was how the show didn't try to rush with Yona's developement. Yona being a wreck, refusing to believe that Soo-won is a villain and just being dead weight was something I found very believable.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yona's hair is really more of a rich maroon than bright red

I haven't seen the anime, but it is really so important to the plot that her hair be red that it's worth putting this as a negative? Considering the rest of the review, there could have been so many better things to put in the end summary than this to summarize the review. I'm sure plenty of people just skip to the summary, and I really wonder what they are thinking when they read this.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
I haven't seen the anime, but it is really so important to the plot that her hair be red that it's worth putting this as a negative? Considering the rest of the review, there could have been so many better things to put in the end summary than this to summarize the review. I'm sure plenty of people just skip to the summary, and I really wonder what they are thinking when they read this.

Hey, for me it was a big deal. I found that to be a point of distraction throughout the first 12 episodes, especially with them emphasizing so heavily how important it was that she had specifically red hair. (And that fact is tied to the name of the series, too.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
I really wonder what they are thinking when they read this.

Like this:

Quote:
Yona's hair is really more of a red than red
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I agree with most of the review, but i would have put the series cutoff point as a con, especially with the repeated comparisons to 12 kingdoms. Needless to say spoiler[one being an adaptation of an ongoing manga, and another being of 4 volumes of a LN series definitely contributes to this.]
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
More maroon than red?! THAT'S IT! NEVER BUYING THIS

(jkjk)

It's interesting considering in the original PV, her hair was actually red. It only tuned maroon/dark pink once the series began airing.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:15 am Reply with quote
As for comparison with the Twelve Kingdoms. I think Yona's circumstances resemble more Shoukei's than Youko's.

Quote:

I found that many people seemed to like that part about the show while finding the beginning portion to be cliche and only something necessary to get the story going. My reaction was completely opposite of that. I found the beginning to be exciting, probably my favourite portion of the entire show. The murder, the emotions it invoked and Yona being in denial and traveling only with Hak were what I enjoyed the most.

I also found the beginning to be more exciting than the part about gathering dragons.

As for the dragons, to be honest, I find them boring. The author has really no idea what to do with them, so any character development is about giving them a sad backstory and showing how much they suffer, because of their superpowers. If Yona and they had at least the same goal, but nope. They just travel with Yona, because they were magically brainwashed into doing it, which is a shame in some cases. Jae-ha was interesting in the beginning.

I don't care about the dragons, but I like this series when it focuses on the three main characters' broken friendship, especially Hak and Yona's interactions with Soo-won.

Quote:
Where Soo-won stands concerning Yona is also annoyingly unclear. Early on, he doesn't protest when his right-hand man suggests that Yona be killed, and yet he seems to have given standing orders for her to be captured alive and gets visibly upset when he learns that she is believed dead. Presumably this is meant to indicate that he is every bit as conflicted about her as she is about him, but it comes off more as an inconsistency.

I suppose that it is just difficult to give orders to kill your cousin and childhood friend whom you love like a younger sister or learn that she is dead.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
Azmodeus wrote:
I agree with most of the review, but i would have put the series cutoff point as a con, especially with the repeated comparisons to 12 kingdoms.

Remember that this review only covers the first half of the series. If it's really that much of a problem then it will be mentioned when the second half's release and review comes around.

Aylinn wrote:
As for comparison with the Twelve Kingdoms. I think Yona's circumstances resemble more Shoukei's than Youko's.

Agreed, but not purely so. Shoukei falls much lower and never does have to learn how to physically fight. That's why I decided that saying she's a mix of the others is more accurate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
^yeah, i didn't catch the "part one" part of the title right away. Carry one, just a swede not reading the title completely Embarassed
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Whereas Saiunkoku focused much more on political intrigue, Yona opts for more of an adventure story feel: a classic tale where the protagonist must gather a group of loyal companions to both survive and accomplish a greater purpose. The pacing of this quest is frustratingly slow, as Yona only has three of her eventual six companions locked down by the halfway point.

I have trouble parsing these split-release reviews, especially of stories that go on way past their anime-adaptation finale (recent examples: Noragami and Snow White of the Red Hair). I had to take a peek over at Amazon just to see where exactly Part 1 leaves off, since my memory was like, "Eh, not much political intrigue? Only 3 companions so far? Slow pacing/not much action??".

The comment about too many flashbacks is a valid overall complaint (the series opening 2-parter rivals Back to the Future 2 for flashback/forwards in time, and one manga arc is 95% flashback). And yeah, I was a bit disappointed with some of the score, considering we know Kunihiko Ryo can do better.

But IMO these early episodes aren't terribly representative of the anime, or the series overall. If anything, they are strictly setting-establishment pieces, giving us glimpses into the current state of the kingdom from different POVs - Yona & Hak's, Yoon's, and the barest glimpse of Soo-Won's (and just a dash of the other tribes').

Even the dragons' attitudes about their situation/plight (I interpret it as a curse) is hardly well-represented - neither Kija/Gija spoiler[nor Shin-ah] know jack about the world outside their villages, and don't have much sense of self either. Asking if they want to go with Yona is a bit like every "wizard gives a kid a quest" scene ever - who's gonna say no? (Besides, with "dragon-radar", the Call knows where you live Smile )

When I watched the original airing/stream, it felt kind of like the eps leading up through the discovery of spoiler[the Blue Dragon] were like the first chapters of a doorstopper epic, or the first third of a 39-ep series. Just enough so you get a sense of time & place, but you don't really know what the heck is going on, and what these people are about.

In a book, at least you've committed the price of purchase, and are motivated to finish. But I could definitely see folks bailing on Yona after only watching this first piece-of-a-piece of an otherwise truly epic historical adventure (or reading the review of same).

The story as a whole is literally made of multilayered political intrigue, grand, sweeping action sequences, and intimate portraits of pain/conflict. But first, we must meet the players, and set the stage. Wink

Looking forward to the Part 2 review, which hopefully will reflect the evolution of the series. And I've already pre-ordered the manga for next month, since that's where I think the story really reaches its true potential.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:22 am Reply with quote
I couldn't get into this one for reasons that are a bit more interesting than most. Has anyone else noticed Yona of the Dawn is a fake epic? For a supposedly sprawling world, it's focused on one city and for such a large population, few people are shown and even fewer people matter. The point where I gave up on it, an entire village was represented by about three people.

Certainly wasn't a problem with 12 Kingdoms and the main cast of Fushigi Yuugi alone can fill out an army. With such a small feeling behind the premise, the stakes weren't just there for me.

"It's better animated". Was that why they shrunk the cast or was it because the mangaka just didn't feel like drawing and designing all the people in the first place? It had a nice leading pair but I wish it had a cast. You know, people doing things, heroics thing or villainous, either would be fine.

Also, "heroine must draw together cast of 5 hunks" is something more attuned to Otome games adaptations so I was shocked to learn this was based on a manga. But why does this show remind me of those shows and things like Fushigi Yuugi and Seven Deadly Sins do not? Villains to be perfectly blunt; It's very hard to concern yourself about plot/character dynamics when a crazy woman who doesn't open her eyes sticks a sword in herself in Seven Sins and Yuugi's rape subplot.

Those kind of characters and events tend to get in the way of the otome game experience which I think this series captures perfectly; A little threat here, a little danger there, moments between the main couple and the promise of more guys to come if that doesn't do it for you.

A note about the review: Drawing comparisons to too many other shows says more about how little there is to say about, what's the word, subject. "This part is like that show and this part is better than that from that show." Is it a lack of originality or is just easier to connect to the more established franchises?

Quote:
Yona's hair is really more of a rich maroon than bright red

Completely right, that is the biggest problem with this series. What do I think I am, some kind of ... thinking person who evaluates the work objectively....

A fan.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:57 am Reply with quote
Well, the manga is much better and has more content, and the anime just covered the very beginning, so there's a lot it didn't really cover. But its still good regardless!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2