• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Anime's 2nd Season Premieres in Spring 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm lukewarm on the announcement. I watched S1, but was not nearly as impressed by it as so many seemed to be. If you asked me, the hype was nothing but - a pretty looking picture that caught people's eyes but had no real substance and offered nothing new (again, personal view). If a new season for a show that has had as much massive hype as this one did cannot retain a sizable portion of that after only a brief 3-4 year break between seasons, then it shows just how much of the success of this show was based on just hype, and how much was on the substance and delivery of the actual show.

But, if you are a fan of the series, then you shouldn't care about the hype question much. Your favored series of the last half decade or so is on the way back for likely a lengthy run (I imagine they're planning on 2-cours, 24-26 episodes, with a short break before a wrap up anime of some sort, be it another season to finish the story, or going the movie route). In other words, unless this forthcoming production bombs fairly hard, you will be among the rare fan-bases that get to see a manga be animated to completion, absent major changes and revisions.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Ecstatic. I'm liking how the artwork adds to the original and gives and illusion that the colossal titan fell over.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I knew ANN would post this right after I went to sleep. lol

Anyway, more Linked Horizon greatness is coming(I hope).
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
While not a giant fan (heh) of the series, I'm looking forward to this. I wish it wasn't so far out in time. I would have preferred this fall or the upcoming winter instead of Spring 2017.

Whoever, did the design on the visual did an excellent job. The placement and spacing of the different sized figures is just really good. I wouldn't mind having a poster of that one.

invalidname wrote:
That's assuming Funimation is even able to get it. Attack on Titan is a Pony Canyon property -- they might hold onto S2 for PonyCan US.

Maybe, still too early to tell how some of that will play out rights wise. However, I would be annoyed if it was so, not just at coughing up for PonyCan prices, but potentially the use of different VA's and how their huge ugly packaging wouldn't match my Funi LE set.
unleashrage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Yay! More Mikasa.

Titans are coming nom nom nom. On a serious note it's about damn time, hopefully it isn't a let down.

Last edited by unleashrage on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
Awesome! Enough time to get ready for 'Attack on politics.'

But you know that's only the second half? They'd run out of budget if that weren't the case.
methedemon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
More waiting but at least we have a date
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Responder wrote:
In Japan, Attack on Titan is still very much popular, and the series is so ingrained in pop culture by this point. The manga (I think) has been selling pretty consistently, and whenever anyone hears the first few seconds of the OP, or sees the colossal titan, they immediately know what it's in reference to. The various OVAs have had some traction, and one could even make the argument that Owari no Seraph and Kabaneri helped keep Titan fresh in everyone's minds. With a strong ad campaign, it could pull everyone back in, but even without one I do think this will have pretty good audience retention. I do agree that they waited too long, but I think an audience is still very much there.
Of course the manga is still ongoing in Japan and in general manga is more popular than anime over there. So it doesn't surprise me that its maintained a steady flow of popularity over there.

That being said manga in general isn't anywhere near as popular as anime over here in the west. So while a small portion of the fanbase in the west has been keeping up with the manga, the vast majority has got a big fat load of boring nothing these past few years.

If they made this announcement 2 years ago, this thread would have 100 comments by now.

Do you really need virtual hype or amount of comments to enjoy the anime? Before first season aired there was no fanbase. To this day the fanbase is still big enough and will be larger with second season for sure.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
danshi_boy3 wrote:
Some math here:
Season 1: 25 episodes, finished in manga's 33 chapter
If that scene is from 77-82 manga, the second fight against Armored and Colossal Titan:

Probabilities:
25 episodes: they will cut some arc, probably Historia/Christa Reiss, but for me, is too important to be cut.
Death Note-ish 37 episodes: they will not cut anything
40-non ending until manga: Very difficult, because is a expensive anime.

I believe the concept art is showing the spoiler[Clash of the Titans] arc (that's the name of the arc in the Wiki), as there are two different scenes merged into one image. First, the top half, it shows the Colossal Titan in the background with Eren in Titan Form in the foreground. The sky is a bit dark, maybe early-evening. Then, there's the bottom half, that shows Armin, Mikasa, and probably Levi in the foreground, with the Armored Titan in the background. There are more stars and the sky is in a darker shade of blue, probably late-evening/midnight.

If we use the metric of roughly 33 chapters per 2-cour season, that would be about the length of the spoiler[Clash of the Titans] arc (16 chapters) and the spoiler[Uprising] arc (20 chapters).
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Until its eta I'll just take solace watching the Abbes in Wayward Pines handle the last remnants of the human race located somewhere near present day North Vancouver, BC, Canada.
rxargyros

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
feel comfortable around here rather than MAL, people on MAL always keep argue about this procrastinate snk s2.
Naniwa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
danshi_boy3 wrote:
Naniwa wrote:

There is no way they would do such thing as cutting a whole arc... this is not possible.

Another possibility is cut Levi's uncle miniarc (PLEASE DON'T DO THIS Sad ), but again, every single chapter has importance. I don't know how much they can handle with time, but the "Death Note solution" is, by now, the best option for them.

It's just that I see no reason to cut anything. The next 2 arcs fit 25 episodes perfectly.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Yes!!

About damn time, too! Attack on Titan is one of my favorite anime.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
It was always a question of when, rather than if, but it is good to have a date.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Holy **** I was not expecting this! I could've sworn I saw something that said the second season was being pushed back to 2019 something. With this, Ao No Exorcist, AND Super Lovers, 2017 is shaping up to be one hell of a year. Now all we need now is for TOEI to announce Sailor Moon Crystal Season 4 Very Happy Very Happy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5