• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Is Anime Changing Visually These Days?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:46 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Quote:
Where we are now is essentially the beginning of a 3D anime era, and I don't think it's fair to judge a technique's potential based on it's earliest examples. 3D is a road of constant improvement, whereas 2D anime techniques have stagnated for decades If in 2106 3D anime still looks little better than it does in 2016, then we can safely say we can't develop it any further.

As a guy who studied fine art, made some animation, and a little bit of CG as student, I think you put too much faith in technology. While I can't argue that "3D Anime" is getting better at mimicking 2D counerpart, it's the artists who'll find new ways to be ahead of the game. What you're saying is like why hasn't painting has not died out after photography was invented.

No, that's a remarkably poor analogy. Not once have I ever wondered why painting is still around regardless of how advanced our cameras are or will become. The only time painting and photography even remotely intersect is with a very specific style of painting called photorealism, and even then photography does not make photorealism obsolete because photorealism can still depict things that don't exist in the real world whereas a camera can only capture the electromagnetic spectrum from infrared to x-rays. There are tens of other styles of painting which cannot be compared to photography.

Computers are only tools to facilitate art. A tool cannot "hinder" art no matter how primitive it is, and it cannot "improve" art no matter how advanced it is. Art is only ever limited by the artist's imagination and ingenuity. Not to say there is no merit in using the right tool for the job. Using the right tool will save time.

With the tools we have today, we CAN create 3D animation that is virtually indistinguishable from 2D animation. The only problem is it would take roughly the same amount of time as just doing it the old fashioned way, with the added hurdle of learning as you go rather than sticking to the decades-old workflow, which is why not many are eager to adopt it. The allure of computer modeling is that it saves time and eliminates certain tedious or repetitive tasks like replicating intricate designs, patterns, or environments frame after frame. But the time-saving features of current 3D animation only applies to styles that use accurate modeling, which is to say, NOT 2D anime.

I'm not saying that advances in 3D animation will make it "possible" to more accurately replicate 2D-styling in a 3D environment. What I'm saying is that future advances in 3D animation technology will make it faster and easier to replicate 2D styling as it currently does with 3D modeling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3