• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ponycan USA to Release Kuromukuro, The Lost Village, DAYS, Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
@CrowLia, I think we are all kind of confused by this situation. We are used to having vendors like Funimation, Sentai, Right Stuf, heck even AoA that are going to take feedback from the fans and make an effort to satisfy as many of them as possible. Pony Canyon more or less had their US people say "Sod Off Swampy" to much of the North American Anime fan base. I don't think the folks in Japan are willing to listen, at least not to those of us in North America.

Now I expect they will listen when one of their officials asks something along the lines of, " Tell me again, why are we doing this? "

Mark Gosdin
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Pony Canyon more or less had their US people say "Sod Off Swampy" to much of the North American Anime fan base.

Now thats a line I need to start using! Very Happy

Last edited by CaptainAvatar on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Suena

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Them releasing S2 of Cute High isn't a surprise, but why did Funimation bother to get a streaming license for S2 when there was such a high chance of them not being able to do a home release? S2 wasn't announced until a while after S1 aired, I'm guessing there wasn't a licensing deal to stream both series.

I was hoping it was a sign that they'd be trying to get S2, even if we'd only be getting just S2 from them (like with Free!). I, mean then at least I afford to get some of it. I just can't justify spending $500 for 12 hours of TV.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Pony Canyon finally crashes and burns with set of releases. The longer they are in the US market, the more likely it is for yet another Japanese company to try and start up a US branch. And soon you'll be seeing AoA prices for every single popular anime. Pony Canyon USA is basically the ultimate genie pig that other Japanese companies are watching. If they can turn a profit (especially with the lower-tier shows they have) others will want in on that. As fans, we should be watching this closely as well, and choose not to support this business model.
CooperRC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I just hope they move away from those oversized boxes to shelf size sets like NISA did for most later releases (although they did got back to oversized boxes for the rest of Love Live).
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
CooperRC wrote:
I just hope they move away from those oversized boxes to shelf size sets like NISA did for most later releases (although they did got back to oversized boxes for the rest of Love Live).

I don't mind over-sized boxes, I love NISAs releases, I just hate over-sized plastic DVD cases. They kind of look like trash...
simona.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:20 am Reply with quote
Kuromukuro is one of the best shows of this [and last] season/cour.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:19 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
CooperRC wrote:

I don't mind over-sized boxes, I love NISAs releases, I just hate over-sized plastic DVD cases. They kind of look like trash...

At first I was skeptical of NISA's oversized releases, but it became like having a mini-poster and if you like to display the artwork on them its kinda of nice. They also worked for me because I have bookshelves and so I never had a problem storing them. People with media shelves might find it annoying because those shelves aren't very deep--this is why I've built shelves more than once some of those media shelves are so short you can't even put normal LE box releases on them. But yea, I agree a turn off of the PonyCan releases for me also has been that I haven't found them particularly enticing with the packaging.

angelmcazares wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
Now I can use that money to buy a ridiculously priced AoA release and hate myself for it. Wait, should I really be thanking you for this?

Yes, you should still thank PCUSA because AoA will usually charge $120-150 for 12 episodes, as opposed to the $200+ PCUSA will charge.

??Huh?? Sorry, maybe I'm missing something but your comment seems a little aggressive. I was making a joke, which relyat08 seems to have gotten. Oh, and I own AoA releases (and yes I hate myself a little Laughing), so what's the big deal? Oh, and some of AoA prices have gone up the range is closer to $120-180. So, yea AoA maybe cheaper, but its not like they are at bargain basement prices either and I don't feel like I need to thank PC for anything (except when I'm joking).

I think its obvious why I and others own some AoA releases as opposed to PCusa. It's because PCusa doesn't have in their current catalog as many successful properties as AoA. AoA has enough successful properties that they have something for everyone. You like Fate franchise? They have it. No? Then how about PMM? Don't care for Magical girls? Then how about urban fantasy like Drrr!! or something a little more wacky like Gurren Laggan or KLK? For many people there is a limited amount of dollars to spend and if PCusa wants to compete at the high priced end of the market with AoA then they need to do a better job. Otherwise I might as well pay for a pricey AoA release aaand yes feel a little bitter about it aaand make fun of myself and the situation too. Wink
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
As of 7-9 @9:50AM (Phoenix time). Neflix has not yet adde Kurumokuro episode 14 to their lineup. I would really like to know how a company as big as them can get an anime accessible to 190 countries but did not have it as a weekly simulcast for the USA from the get go. I wonder what rights issue excuse they have for this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2