• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: MangaGamer Releases Umineko When They Cry -Question Arcs- Sound Novel on Steam

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnHawk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
What the heck is a 'Sound Novel'?
Cetais

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
JohnHawk wrote:
A fancy name for those kinetic (no choice) visual novels where the ambiance (music/sound) is really important.

This denomination is somewhat exclusive to the Higurashi and Umineko series.

Since Visual Novel put the emphasis on the visual part, and the "When they cry" series contain... awful art.
JohnHawk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:15 am Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
JohnHawk wrote:
A fancy name for those kinetic (no choice) visual novels where the ambiance (music/sound) is really important.

This denomination is somewhat exclusive to the Higurashi and Umineko series.

Since Visual Novel put the emphasis on the visual part, and the "When they cry" series contain... awful art.

Awful art is part of the true experience. Love my oval hands.
But for real I've been doing this weeaboo schtick for well over a decade now this is the first time I've ever seen the term 'Sound Novel'
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:35 am Reply with quote
Ryukishi07's art style is something that must be taken as an "intentional caricature" type of art style, I am pretty sure he could have learned more "conventional" anime trends but somehow he ended up with his own balloon hand art style.

That said, the Steam version of the VN features an option to show off Pachinko machine sourced art style which look closer to say the anime version of the characters (especially when compared to Ryukishi07's original animation).

Back to the Sound novel portion, IT IS GLORIOUS, if you don't believe just listen to some of the tracks such as Dream End Discharger, and one of the interesting ones is System0 which original version featured a voice clip from Star Trek First Contact (the voice clip was removed for all commercial releases)
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote
I personally prefer the artstyle of the PS3 and PSP versions. It's like the Animation from the Anime series but way better. Shame the Anime version wasn't better and was only the 1st half of the story which kind of made it pointless except for Akiko Shikata singing the theme song.

But it is definitely nice to have it up on Steam in English even though I don't own a computer.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:15 am Reply with quote
Definitely need to pick this up next time I can.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

Back to the Sound novel portion, IT IS GLORIOUS, if you don't believe just listen to some of the tracks such as Dream End Discharger, and one of the interesting ones is System0 which original version featured a voice clip from Star Trek First Contact (the voice clip was removed for all commercial releases)

agreed the sound/musical work in umineko is just amazing, it's so sad that the best version (the manga) has no way of playing the proper songs in the proper time.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
From what I've found, MangaGamer's version uses character art lifted straight from the Umineko Pachinko game (a kind of Japanese slot machine). Here's a sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ7iNBflHH8

My only concern is, do these Pachinko character sprites have as many expressions as the original? And even if it doesn't, we still have the option to switch to the classic. As for the updated Witch Hunt translation, I wonder what changes will be in store?

MoonPhase1 wrote:
I personally prefer the artstyle of the PS3 and PSP versions. It's like the Animation from the Anime series but way better. Shame the Anime version wasn't better and was only the 1st half of the story which kind of made it pointless except for Akiko Shikata singing the theme song.

But it is definitely nice to have it up on Steam in English even though I don't own a computer.

The other good thing to come out of the anime is the epic voice cast, and even the PS3 version put that to better use.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:09 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:

agreed the sound/musical work in umineko is just amazing, it's so sad that the best version (the manga) has no way of playing the proper songs in the proper time.

The manga is a downscale on every single way possible (especially because there's no proper narrative structure at all). And they gave the answer explicitly too, ruining one of the main points of the visual novel (uncovering the mystery by yourself with all the clues presented).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1