• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Thunderbolt Fantasy (puppet TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I especially liked how they were careful to include all three faceplates during their conversation!

And yes, I too was imagining Lin with a Shang Nendoroid on his end. It'll be great if they do that, though not as hilarious. Dammit, I still want scale figures of these characters.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I love this show, and really liked this episode, and I'm pretty sure if they ever make merch of the curse doll communication device, I would feel like I HAD to have it! Seriously, it was so cute!!!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, you're 5 years too late, but if it doesn't need to talk or be a phone, here ya go. eBay might be able to help you out. Very Happy
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:59 pm Reply with quote
S3 Ep6
Okay, so the irony is getting really rich with Jun Po, here. Despite telling himself his cause and means are just and noble, Jun Po is now consciously, knowingly serving no fewer than five different enemies simultaneously. He’s still publicly serving Chao Feng, he’s privately serving Ming Huang, he’s giving aid to Lin (assuming to himself he has the upper hand), he’s aiding Xing Hai (believing demons can be bargained with), and now he’s defending Lou! None of these villains have competing interests, either, so his assistance can only give each of them more power! He doesn’t quite know that detail, to be fair, but I still can’t wait to see Lin humiliate him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:04 pm Reply with quote

Ha, did that demon just say the humans lacked moxie? Laughing (Shén Huì Mó Xiè)

No bars in Hell, I guess. Or else the battery died. New demon count looks pretty cool.
Taker128

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:37 am Reply with quote
The official Pili YouTube channel just posted the making of the fight scene in Episode 6.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XHONeaGZrks&t=63s

Worth a watch!!!

The rain and fire are both real
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote
I was not expecting time travel to enter the plot, but here we are, with Xing Hai and Seven Blasphemous Deaths conspiring to commit time crimes. It could definitely turn the tides in their favor, but Lin has overheard their plan and Shang is already experienced with time travel(!), so things aren’t likely to go as they think. Instead, it’s this Azibelpher who may be the more pressing threat for now. His reaction to Lang’s singing was ominous, and am I the only one who finds his hair color suspiciously familiar…?
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Ep 8
While much of this episode was catchup for everyone on the current situation, there’s still a decent amount of new scheming going on in between. Lin has betrayed Xing Hai’s plans to Jun Po, but it’s not purely out of an interest in stopping her. It’s also about getting closer to Ming Huang. He’s also helped Jun Po lead a bunch of hapless soldiers into the Void Junction, so he’s still planning on giving Jun Po enough to feel guilty about. For his part, though, Jun Po is finally starting to realize that Ming Huang isn’t the leader he’d been hoping for; and as much fun as it would be to torment Jun Po further over his mistakes, the threat of Zhao Jun Lin’s return is still the priority. Xing Hai is working with Azibelpher without issue, and Seven Blasphemous Deaths has warned her not to take Lou lightly, though not explaining the exact reason - that Lou is resistant to SBD’s power. Strangely, though, Xing Hai seems very interested in him. What could the reason be?
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Ep 9
Crap, where do I even begin?

Piaomiao tests Jun Po’s loyalty and comes away satisfied, assured Jun Po doesn’t have it in him to rebel against Ming Huang. Piaomiao really hasn’t had much to do in this season besides eye others with suspicion, huh.

Chaos ensues as Shang and Lang steal Xing Hai’s time-mirror but Lang refuses to destroy it. Their battle drags out into the open and brings in Piaomiao and Jun Po, Shang and Lang escape all the same, but now each side has only half of the mirror. It proves enough for Azibelpher’s purposes, though. Azibelpher pulls Shang and Lang back through time, Shang to the forging of the Shen Hui Mo Xie swords and Lang to the battle against Ming Huang that cost Tian Ming her eyes. Although Shang knows enough not to meddle with causality, Lang isn’t so convinced and Azibelpher seems to have predicted that, to some mysterious end. Poor Lang hasn’t been taught that blind warriors are even stronger. Xing Hai manages to take her fury out on Lin, and nope, nope, nope nope nope. All the time-traveling better end up reversing what happens, because I can’t bear to see Lin losing his mind to Seven Blasphemous Deaths! That’s just the worst possible outcome! Nope, it’s gotta be an illusion!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:00 am Reply with quote
He was probably wearing Pink Blocker contacts. Or else her pitiful psychotropic light show just can't hold a candle to the exotic substances Lin's been smoking all these years. Smile

I often have trouble following the fights, or at least some of the who-slashed-who-where moments, but the fight in this episode was just a blur throughout the whole thing. No idea what happened. The General sure does have some pretty blue brocade on his outfit though, yes sir. He's really wedged himself between a whole buncha rocks and hard places though.
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10
An entire episode without answers as to how long Lin will be under the sword’s control and it even ends with the suggestion that he’s killed Can Yun. This is turning into a real nail-biting tease now, as I still can’t tell whether Lin’s putting on an act or if this is something Lang will fix with time travel, or if there’s actually a hidden third possibility. Because Lin isn’t staying a puppet, nope.

Speaking of time travel, Lang’s adventures continue while Shang’s reach an abrupt end. It would appear that Shang’s trip was an accident of sorts, and after learning the Shen Hui Mo Xie swords’ strange origins and then making sure that he doesn’t undo the future, Shang returns to the correct time. Lang, meanwhile, wasn’t being tricked into ruining the timeline with good intentions after all, as Azibelpher helpfully shows Lang what would happen if he rescued Tian Ming. It looks like Azibelpher wouldn’t have minded if Lang had done it anyway, though. What an odd, whimsical character. So now Lang is being taken to another time, where this lesson will be taking on a whole new significance, and Azibelpher’s mysterious real game will be revealed.

Xing Hai and Seven Blasphemous Deaths have finalized a plan to bring Zhao Jun Lin into the present without disturbing the timeline, and will plan the rest of their scheme from there. It looks like they’re taking due caution with the dangers of time travel, assuming the corpse doesn’t have its own important history.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:10 am Reply with quote
I still don't think Lin is a puppet. I mean just look at those dexterous fingers! Seriously though, I was laughing my ass off during the massage scene while simultaneously marveling at the execution of it. And yes, I think he was never under her spell. But since he's apparently using her as the sword, he can't very well just pretend to draw blood. I don't think Seven Blasphemous Deaths is susceptible to his Vape illusions, but it would be funny if she were.

The trip to the Swordsmith was a nice interlude though. I kept hoping Shang might get some tips on how to deal with SBD, but I guess that would be too easy.
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
Yeah, unless swords need to breathe then I can’t see her falling for the vape trick. Razz
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Ep 11
Well, Azibelpher’s connection to Lang wasn’t a shock to me. What was a shock was how simple his game was. Banged ur mom u mad? Is that really all he’ll contribute to this season? There must be more.

Strange episode all around, really. If my eyes are to be believed then Can Yun is dead, Lin is totally lost, Shang is helpless, and the villains are all working together now, with Piaomiao of all people as the only one at a moral crossroads. I’d almost say it’s all going too well for the villains to be true, except that Piaomiao is getting so erratic. Dude’s lying to everyone, including Ming Huang. Is he so afraid of Zhao Jun Lin that he’s stalling Shang’s execution and turning totally paranoid about Jun Po? I’m not sure if I’m supposed to be rooting for him to change sides. I’d rather see the good guys (and Lin) pull through.

Totally out-there grasping-at-straws theory here, but is it possible Lin faked Can Yun’s death? Lin did ask him for a favor before, and we never got to hear what that favor was exactly. It could have been a death-fakery ploy…
Gonbawa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:04 am Reply with quote
Indeed, the way Piaomiao is acting is suspicious : he's saving Shang life at the last minute with mere words and appears to not knowing well the very principles of life of his own master when tested. I suspect "him" to be Lin in disguise. But it could be just my mind grasping a feeble straw of hope.
And I'm pretty sure that SBD can't see : she recognized her sister's voice when Xin Haii started talking. So you can't trick her with illusions, but in the other hand she never encountered Can Yun before.

Last edited by Gonbawa on Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3