• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Love Live! Sunshine!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Dong hit the nail on the head with what's bothering me about Sunshine!! - it won't take let go of the handrail and stand on it's own two feet, it insists on playing it safe with the callbacks and tropes. There's potential here, but so far it's wasted.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 just reminded me how much I hate Love Live's drama, and I hate it even more that they trip themselves with the same goddamn stone, and using almost the same characters. No, literally, Dia in the flashback says "Oh, I'm more of Eli! She's the student council president and a school idol, how cool that would be?", like, give it three episodes more and she will certainly know how cool it is. The rip-off is a even more jarring since the...director girl (I never had a suspension of desbelief for this) is the one that grapes boobies and acts as the good cop to Dia's bad cop, although instead of she herself having boobies, she seems to be more of the zettai ryouki type.

I'm sorry for Hanamaru, Ruby and her soon to be groped boobs, but the fact that Hanamaru chose the most weird timing for saying "Ruby step your game up!" already threw me off, how do they expect me to care? After that it felt so convenient and obvious that I didn't care.

I sign up for Love Live more for the cute girls doing cute things with cool animation and some nice dancing coreography, and I hope Yohane brings that wacky sense because it's so needed. Episode 3 was ending on a positive note, cheesy but also pumping you up, and then they tried to make it relatable and dramatic whereas Love Live is probably the least relatable thing I've ever watched. Okay maybe I would like to live in that town.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
the best thing to come out of the episode is that dia was a u's fan before getting in highschool, with her now being a first third year means that there is at least a 3 years gap between both shows (hopefully it's a 18 year gap and dia an ruby are indeeed nico and maki's daughters as per the theory).
Cetais

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
hopefully it's a 18 year gap and dia an ruby are indeeed nico and maki's daughters as per the theory).

This sounds like the shittiest theory I've seen. µ's was disbanded after their second year, them being still /that/ popular after 18 years would be quite impossible.
That's more than enough time for new talent to blossom and surpass them.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:49 am Reply with quote
I wonder if by the end they realize that they cant keep relying on muse for inspiration and start looking at their own group members for strength or something corny like that haha.
Muffum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:19 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
I wonder if by the end they realize that they cant keep relying on muse for inspiration and start looking at their own group members for strength or something corny like that haha.

I'm both expecting and hoping it ultimately goes this direction. I really liked this episode for the most part, but it felt like the series was limiting itself with how heavily it referenced the original. I can see the point of it, and I ultimately don't think the situation in the episode was similar enough to warrant cries of just being a pale imitation. However, the sheer number of references did kind of drag the episode down; the episode essentially had a limited framework as a result, even if it operated as best it could within those limits.

If it keeps going in a similar direction, with the constant references to μ's solely as an inspiration and never being able to surpass them, I think that aspect of the series will just keep getting worse. As a result, some kind of turnaround where they stop relying on that inspiration is basically necessary, even if it doesn't happen for a while.
Edl01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
I'd disagree with the review, in fact I'd go as far as to say this is my favorite episode of Sunshine so far.

Initially I was a bit unsure about the decision to use Love Wing Bell Rin as Hanamaru's inspiration to be an Idol, but after a little bit of thinking I started liking the idea more and more. Hanamaru isn't inspired because she's a copy of Rin, she's inspired because in that performance Rin challenged herself and overcame her fear of her own femininity to take the center stage as an idol, Hanamaru respects Rin and due to her believes maybe she can overcome her own shortcomings(pun completely intended).

I think the reason I like the idea so much is that it actually improves one of my favorite episodes of Love Live season 2, as now that episode isn't just, "Rin overcomes her fear and becomes great", but now, "Rin overcoming her fear inspired the next generation to try and become idols".

Even without that great scene though I thought the episode was funny and did a great job of introducing us to Hanamuru who is now up there with Dia as one of my favorite characters, since until this point has had very little screen time. It was also just a fantastically animated and directed, but that's the case for everything in Sunshine.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
Edl01 wrote:
I'd disagree with the review, in fact I'd go as far as to say this is my favorite episode of Sunshine so far.

Initially I was a bit unsure about the decision to use Love Wing Bell Rin as Hanamaru's inspiration to be an Idol, but after a little bit of thinking I started liking the idea more and more. Hanamaru isn't inspired because she's a copy of Rin, she's inspired because in that performance Rin challenged herself and overcame her fear of her own femininity to take the center stage as an idol, Hanamaru respects Rin and due to her believes maybe she can overcome her own shortcomings(pun completely intended).

Problem is, Hanamaru didn't realize that until she is told by...damn, I forgot the serious girl's name. she tells her that Rin thought she wasn't fit to be idol (not really, she thought that "femenine" clothes and behaviour didn't fit her) and she is surprised. Ignoring the fact that this girl now is apparently very instructed in Muse's girls, the relation between Hanamaru and Rin's problem trips itself. I don't know what the magazine says in japanese, but they certainly didn't highlight Rin's problem whatsoever like zooming on a line "I thought I could never wear a dress!" or something like that, but one could imply that it said that and Hanamaru was inspired by that but apparently even though Hanamaru spent time reading the magazine she had no idea about that.

Either that or she didn't make the connection between her and Rin, and I could buy that if the main idea wasn't that she didn't become an idol because she wanted to encourage Ruby, not become an idol herself. So...weird.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Hanamaru thought of herself as a supporting character in the story: she pushes a shy girl to accept her dreams and then it moves on past her, like in so many books. However, as she noted, she always felt a little lonely after each story ended - and just as we get to the place where she'd add that in her narration if this were another series, Ruby comes and refuses to leave her behind, because it is Hanamaru's story, too, if only she'd look. In this situation, the Rin reference(since the story is running the "inspired by μ's" thing into the ground) is perfect. I do wonder what the headline said, though I'm guessing it's more related to the second years not being able to show up than Rin's image issues.
maximilianjenus wrote:
the best thing to come out of the episode is that dia was a u's fan before getting in highschool, with her now being a first third year means that there is at least a 3 years gap between both shows (hopefully it's a 18 year gap and dia an ruby are indeeed nico and maki's daughters as per the theory).
A) The magazine says "5th year anniversary edition".
B) Their name is "Kurosawa".
Edl01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Either that or she didn't make the connection between her and Rin, and I could buy that if the main idea wasn't that she didn't become an idol because she wanted to encourage Ruby, not become an idol herself. So...weird.

At first Rin didn't want to become an Idol and only actually ended up joining with Hanayo. I don't think Maru and Rin are all that similar in complete honesty, I just think that neither character believed they could be idols due to their personality (Rin is boyish and sporty, Hanamaru is shy and a bookworm) and seeing that article on Rin inspired Hana.

To completely steal a quote from another ANN writer that I think sums up my thoughts on what I liked about the scene, "It basically features Rin as an inspiring guardian angel of idol dreams".
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Edl01 wrote:
Valhern wrote:

At first Rin didn't want to become an Idol and only actually ended up joining with Hanayo. I don't think Maru and Rin are all that similar in complete honesty, I just think that neither character believed they could be idols due to their personality (Rin is boyish and sporty, Hanamaru is shy and a bookworm) and seeing that article on Rin inspired Hana.

To completely steal a quote from another ANN writer that I think sums up my thoughts on what I liked about the scene, "It basically features Rin as an inspiring guardian angel of idol dreams".

Well yeah but it's not as if there was this whole focus on Rin not joining, it's not that big enough to make a parallel, but for the sake of argument, let's say that's the parallel. She still finds out when she is TOLD about that. That's why I said it would be believable if she read Rin's comment on how she thought that being an idol was not for her, but then she was like "Nah, that couldn't be me, I can't even run. Besides, I only wanted to encourage Ruby-chan to join", the second part would be like a excuse, and what Ruby would do is blow that excuse away because Hanamaru was really happy to be there.

That's why the parallel felt super forced to me.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:

It feels forced to me because it relies on what we the viewers (having seen the first series) know, but what Hanamaru can't possibly know - the deep and intimate details of Rin's story and backstory.
Edl01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Valhern wrote:

It feels forced to me because it relies on what we the viewers (having seen the first series) know, but what Hanamaru can't possibly know - the deep and intimate details of Rin's story and backstory.

I promised myself the last comment would be my final one until next episode, but I need to respond to this.

When I was a kid a lot of people around me looked up to a several Footballers in the premiere league. They wanted to spend all their time kicking a ball around a field as well as they did and spent all their time practicing because they idolized that person. If you asked most of them kids the, "Deep and Intimate", details of their icons lives most of them couldn't answer because to them that was never important, they loved them because they could kick a ball a bit better than most. You don't need to know a person's entire life story to look up to them or be inspired by them.

It's possible that the only information about Rin that was ever read by Hanamaru was from that magazine that she bought(which is kind of a massive assumption). But even if it was that doesn't mean the simple narrative created by the article of, "I didn't think I could become an idol because of my lack of femininity", couldn't have spoken to Hanamaru at that moment.

Even if you aren't marking down Sunshine for it's heavy inspiration from the original series the idea that Hanamaru can admire Rin despite not knowing her personally is perfectly reasonable. Heck isn't that what it means to be an Idol? Or in another way - She admires towards the image of Rin created by the article which is based off events in Love Wing Bell and aspires to change her self similarly to how the article says Rin changed.

Anyway as I said above I feel I'm cluttering the thread a bit now so I'll not post again until next episode. But I still standby my position that both this episode was great.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Edl01 wrote:

It's possible that the only information about Rin that was ever read by Hanamaru was from that magazine that she bought(which is kind of a massive assumption).

It's possible. But the whole punch of the story relies not on what would likely be in a magazine - but on details that would only be known to the participants and omniscient viewers (us). (And all the magazine has is a picture anyhow.)

Quote:
When I was a kid a lot of people around me looked up to a several Footballers in the premiere league. They wanted to spend all their time kicking a ball around a field as well as they did and spent all their time practicing because they idolized that person. If you asked most of them kids the, "Deep and Intimate", details of their icons lives most of them couldn't answer because to them that was never important, they loved them because they could kick a ball a bit better than most. You don't need to know a person's entire life story to look up to them or be inspired by them.

Right - that's why the producers chose to link Hanamuru with the character and story that the viewers know is most like hers.

Quote:
Or in another way - She admires towards the image of Rin created by the article which is based off events in Love Wing Bell and aspires to change her self similarly to how the article says Rin changed.

That's my point - Hanamaru doesn't know and can't possibly know the details behind the events of Love Wing Bell. All we see is a picture of Rin in the wedding dress - no article. (And I find it unlikely that any article would go into the depth we the omniscient viewers know.)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
Dub episode 1: I actually like Chika now. She's charismatic and far more of a livewire than dead weight. With her cast, I have to watch it now because I kind of care about Chika's dream. Well, in the dub anyway.

The only problem is that spoiler[Cherami Leigh] seems to be three to five times better than the rest of the cast right now. But oh god, her energy...

Also, there's some weird voices and not just where you'd expect. A lot of squeek and somehow some squawk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16