• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Love Live! Sunshine!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Ep 5 review wrote:
We're re-introduced to Yoshiko, the chuunibyou we met in the first episode

Just out of curiosity, is there any significance to the fact that the word "chuunibyou" or "chuuni" is never used in the script?

So there are over five thousand school idol groups competing on the web site by posting videos. With that kind of density it is a wonder they get any clicks at all. It is beyond me what they could do to "stand out" which seems to be the holy grail of idol plebes. In this situation sooner or later someone is going to suggest using more overt sex appeal and I am wondering if LLS is going to deal with that. (I know they wouldn't actually do it.)
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
While admittedly I love the series unconditionally this had to be the strongest episode from a voice acting standpoint if only for Kobayashi, Aika's performance as Yoshiko. It will be interesting to see where the mystery of spoiler[Mari's Email] leads come next episode. And maybe finally Kanan will get to do something or have some effect on the story.
DDragonking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Dub episode 1: I actually like Chika now. She's charismatic and far more of a livewire than dead weight. With her cast, I have to watch it now because I kind of care about Chika's dream. Well, in the dub anyway.

The only problem is that spoiler[Cherami Leigh] seems to be three to five times better than the rest of the cast right now. But oh god, her energy...

Also, there's some weird voices and not just where you'd expect. A lot of squeek and somehow some squawk.

Actually Chika isn't played by her that honor goes to Jad Saxton. And I don't think Cherami is in this dub

Last edited by DDragonking on Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Muffum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
The μ's references didn't really bother me at all this episode, which I guess is only natural since the density of references was much smaller. IIRC they were only name dropped once, and Aqours only spoke of them in a pretty generic sense. If the series can keep it to that level for the rest of the series I'd be content, though optimally I'd hope the show would eventually have Aqours realize that the aspiration to be like μ's runs counter to the notion of being themselves. I'll have to wait and see how it pans out.

As for the rest of the episode, I really liked how it played up the ridiculousness even more; Riko vaulting the balcony to escape from Chika's dog was probably one of my favorite scenes thus far. Playing up the ridiculousness of Yoshiko's situation did somewhat undercut the eventual drama, as Bamboo mentioned, but it ultimately didn't detract much from my enjoyment of the episode overall.

Besides the question of whether the μ's references will have any real payoff, the big question mark to me is Kanan's involvement. For how bombastic the show normally is, it seems to be keeping pretty tight-lipped about what her deal is.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
I haven't been bothered at all about the references to μ's. I kind of think the reviewer is a little too sensitive to it and is just trying to find something to complain about. The main character's entire inspiration for doing what she does is because of μ's. The first series ended with them being a national phenomenon so it would make sense that yes μ's would still be everyhwere (in fact I am surprised by how little of them you see)

Mentioning them once an episode in the right places is nowhere near as bad as if they had trying to use characters from μ's or even their sisters in this one. Then it would have been a crutch, but this is just them talking about their inspiration, the same way μ's did with their rivals and the dome and the love live competition. μ's is their goal, it is no different from a sport's anime that always talks about getting to nationals or playing in this or that stadium.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:16 am Reply with quote
Love Live Sunshine is a lot like the star wars the force awakens where it borrow the same theme and ideas from the first Love Live. So just like the new star wars i'm more of the attitude wait and see but, so far I'm liking it. Very Happy Very Happy
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:41 am Reply with quote
Probably my least favourite episode so far. There wasn't really a strong plot holding it all together. However there were lots of great parts, even if the episode wasn't strong as a whole. The OST in Yohane's fortune telling classroom scene was amazing. & Hanamaru's bathroom scene was probably my favourite part of Sunshine!! so far.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
accidentally switching off a laptop

About that, I can't help wondering what kind of strange laptop they were using where just hitting the power button actually shuts it off outright (sure, Windows laptops have the option of doing that, but it's actually really hard to find the extremely buried setting to toggle to make it behave that way).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
(sure, Windows laptops have the option of doing that, but it's actually really hard to find the extremely buried setting to toggle to make it behave that way).

Apple laptops are fairly rare in Japan (phones and tablets are another matter) and I haven't seen anyone use Linux outside of a lab so it is probably a Windows based laptop. Many of them treat the power button as a "sleep/suspend" control the same as if you just closed the top as happened later in the episode. (On my macBook you do this with CMD-OPT-PWR). To shut off power you have to hold it down for 5 seconds. So unless they crashed it they wouldn't have lost anything.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
Re: the laptop power button: C'mon guys, IT'S JOKE. Laughing

I actually agree with Bamboo that they should tone down on the Muse references. A mention here and there is neat, but really... from what we know, it's been what, 3 or 4 years since Muse retired? And the magazines are still talking about them? Considering that School Idols are short-lived by definition, it's hard to believe that fans would still be focused on Muse. And even if it's just because they won Love Live, why isn't there any mention of ARISE, who is even presumably still active?

I don't mind a Muse name drop here and there, but aside from a poster or two, they don't even seem to acknowledge that there are any school idols besides Muse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
DDragonking wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Dub episode 1: I actually like Chika now. She's charismatic and far more of a livewire than dead weight. With her cast, I have to watch it now because I kind of care about Chika's dream. Well, in the dub anyway.

The only problem is that spoiler[Cherami Leigh] seems to be three to five times better than the rest of the cast right now. But oh god, her energy...

Also, there's some weird voices and not just where you'd expect. A lot of squeek and somehow some squawk.

Actually Chika isn't played by her that honor goes to Jad Saxton. And I don't think Cherami is in this dub

You're right, my mistake. I'm really not used to her voice getting that high. With Saxton, I usually think Log Horizon and Haganai these days.

And now the show encyclopedia entry has a cast list, would have been helpful earlier.
Edl01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I think the reviewer just needs to give up in hoping that Sunshine will ever stop referencing the original series, μ has clearly been established as one of the main driving forces behind Aqours and it won't go away.

Now of course if the theory that the E-mail received by Dia is about the school closing - then I'll actually have a problem. I have no problem with the show drawing inspiration from the original series, but at that point they've taken it too far for me.

The actual episode was good, It didn't work as well for me as last episode but it was pretty damn funny and Yohane did a good job of re-iterating the shows main theme. Hanamaru solidified herself as my favorite member of Aquors, although there's still half a season for that to change.

I loved that one conversation about Chika being, "not strong enough to pull everyone along", people love to say she's a clone of Honk and although she is clearly trying to act as outgoing as her in reality she's very insecure and lacks confidence. Honoka was always the heart of μ who never gave up and everyone could depend on, but Chika is terrified of failing and without some serious character growth I feel she will end up being carried by the strength of the rest of the group.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:
I haven't been bothered at all about the references to μ's. I kind of think the reviewer is a little too sensitive to it and is just trying to find something to complain about.

I agree with Bamboo (and have said as much earlier in this thread). All the μ's name-dropping is really taking me out of the show.
Quote:
Bamboo refuses to acknowledge her own Kenshin-inspired, sword-wielding chuuni days. Follow her on Twitter.

Awesome bio, BTW.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:
I haven't been bothered at all about the references to μ's. I kind of think the reviewer is a little too sensitive to it and is just trying to find something to complain about. The main character's entire inspiration for doing what she does is because of μ's. The first series ended with them being a national phenomenon so it would make sense that yes μ's would still be everyhwere (in fact I am surprised by how little of them you see)

it's because they have been gone for at least 2 years, easily more.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
Edl01 wrote:
I think the reviewer just needs to give up in hoping that Sunshine will ever stop referencing the original series, μ has clearly been established as one of the main driving forces behind Aqours and it won't go away.
One of the original taglines for the group was "inspired by μ's", so a reference here and there makes sense, but the sum total of them is getting annoying. Aqours isn't going to make much of a splash in the end if they can't go a single episode without leaning on the original.
HaruhiToy wrote:
Apple laptops are fairly rare in Japan (phones and tablets are another matter) and I haven't seen anyone use Linux outside of a lab so it is probably a Windows based laptop. Many of them treat the power button as a "sleep/suspend" control the same as if you just closed the top as happened later in the episode. (On my macBook you do this with CMD-OPT-PWR). To shut off power you have to hold it down for 5 seconds. So unless they crashed it they wouldn't have lost anything.
I'd surmise that the laptop did to to sleep, but they're not necessarily familiar with that feature and sleep it by closing the screen. There's no way she held it for all five seconds without somebody noticing.
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Probably my least favourite episode so far. There wasn't really a strong plot holding it all together.
I have to agree with you on this: Yoshiko had seemed like she was trying to move on to another stage in her life, but (amusing I'm reading it right) Chika stopped her because reasons. Her dropping the Yohane thing in favor of being a school idol would have read much better in my opinion, rather than some mealymouthed "it's okay to be chuuni" ending. She became an oddball to stand out, grow wings, etc, after all, and redirecting her motivation to something she can put her name on - rather than constantly hiding behind a pseudonym - would be more impactful, I think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 16