• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Girls In Anime Say, "Now I Can't Get Married?"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Isn't the old-fashioned nature of the complaint as much a part of the comic hyperbole as considering something like an accidental skirt-flip being "sexual despoilment"?

Exactly: While anything even imaginably leading to a "bad reputation" can still be a problem in Japan, it's supposed to be a joke satirizing the girl's naive vanity/insecurity in reacting to it--
Our equivalent would be a sitcom teen saying "OMG, he posted my panties on the Internet, I'll end up having to quit school!" Laughing

(And think Mrs. Ichinose on Maison Ikkoku was traditional-housewife enough to try and show Kyoko a few Omiai prospects before Kyoko ran into Mitaka, but it was trying to suggest how dated and "interfering" most modern girls find the old tradition.)
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
. . . I believe Miho says it about doing the Anglerfish Dance (have you seen it?) in Girls und Panzer. . .

I think that it was Saori who said it, but it definitely was said in that scene and it definitely was a joke.

This is a bit tricky because there are very similar things that can be serious and I do not want to make light of them.
But Every time that I have heard the "No one will marry me now!" line it was a joke, and a large part of the joke was the fact that nothing serious had happened. I think that Mio said it a couple times in K-On!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:

Ever since the Sexual Revolution, modern American culture doesn't value virginity. In fact, it actually derides it, especially with males.

Must've been pretty recent because when I was in high school nobody really respected the girl who everyone knew put out. The only guys who were interested in her were only after sex since they knew she was easy then dropped her afterwards, and other girls badmouthed her.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Stale humour in anime? Mother of God!

mgosdin wrote:
Quote:
Matchmaker, Matchmaker,
Make me a match,
Find me a find,
catch me a catch
Matchmaker, Matchmaker
Look through your book,
And make me a perfect match

Fiddler On The Roof

That song's really sad Sad
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

That song's really sad Sad
Historically, Russia has never been a rose garden for Jews.
Quote:
Russian history is replete with instances of scapegoating and persecution of the Jews. From pogroms throughout the Middle Ages up through the official doctrine of Imperial Russia, repeated instances of Jews being blamed and victimized can be documented. This insidious practice outlasted medieval times and the Enlightenment, and it resurfaced during the last two decades of the nineteenth century. Following the assassination of Tsar Alexander II, dire repercussions landed on the Russian Jews, who, with the declaration of the May Laws of 1882, were forced to leave urban centres and rural shtetls in Western Russia, and moved to the newly established Pale of Jewish Settlement. The deprivation and economic hardship, exacerbated by mandatory conscription and a spate of anti-Jewish pogroms (most notably the Kishinev Easter pogrom of 1903), stimulated a period of mass emigration of an estimated two million Russian Jews to the United States up until the end of the First World War.
And I would also note that that in the U.S., that anti-semitism was quite fashionable through the mid-1900s.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
It kinda amazes me anyone would ask this question, and I can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing. Is the writer so detached from women's issues that he (guessing it's a he from the name) doesn't understand the connection between being groped -> feeling "defiled" -> not a virgin -> can't get married? Or sweetly naive because he personally would never think of a woman with sexual experience as "damaged goods" and so doesn't make the connection?

I mean, maybe I'm the ignorant one, but I don't know of any large culture that doesn't, at least historically, place value a woman's "purity". Not that I personally think there's any value to staying a virgin or otherwise "pure" before marriage, Just saying that this view is so widespread across many cultures I can't imagine having never come across that viewpoint.

I don't think it's quite as common in the west as you think. Having your virginity post High School is something you're supposed to be ashamed of everywhere in the US I've been, especially for guys, but it applies to girls as well. The parts of Europe I've been to seem to be that way as well. That sense of purity was certainly big historically, but most people under 40 probably missed that entirely unless they were part of a conservative religious group. Just looking at the difference between Jpop stars and Western Pop stars is pretty telling.

And I think the bolded part is most likely what the OP was thinking. When I was in High School, there was literally no relationship between purity and abstinence. The most beloved girls among my male classmates were the ones who acted like adults, not the innocent ones. Those girls were made fun of.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
From my experience, almost everytime that line was spoken, it was by a "beat you to death" tsundere. It was okay the first time I heard it, its comedic factor wore off by the 10th, and it was ignored by me from about the 30th*.

*Does not apply to parody/satire shows, which at times manage to pull it off quite nicely.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Never really thought the joke was funny, and thinking about it now, there are two major reasons why it can even be offensive:
1. The girl is usually the butt of the joke--the joke is that she is so naïve and/or out-of-date that she genuinely believes that a perceived sexual impropriety will affect her marriage prospects
2. The idea that virginity=purity may not completely hold true in today's Japan, but it still has plenty of reverberations in their culture. And in most cultures, frankly. Most cultures are guided by that good ol' double standard that boys and men need to be sexual to prove their masculinity, and girls and women can't be sexual (or, in more modern terms as sexual as boys/men) lest it ruin their femininity. If you think that Western society has completely gotten rid of the double standard, your kidding yourself.

There are some cultures (conservative religious communities) that value virginity in young, unmarried men and women equally, and they tend to still practice dating-for-marriage similar to Japanese Omiai.

The only way I can see that joke being funny is if its uttered completely sarcastically, and better yet, by a guy.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Justin Sevakis, in the column, wrote:
Miai still happen in Japan, though they're increasingly rare and often the exclusive domain of very traditional families.

Just out of curiosity, exactly what are the characteristics of these Very Traditional Families? (e.g., I would imagine that that such families come exclusively from rural areas. Am I mistaken? Confused)

I'm no expert, but if anime and manga is any indication, this refers to "old money" and the "shabby genteel" that is former upper crust families who are faking it. The rural population in Japan seems to be looser and more concerned with the flight to cities.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I had never heard of Miai before. Sounds like something halfway between marriages arranged by parents and romance-based marriages.

Hoppy800 wrote:
It's just a joke, it's fine. Nobody believes such a thing anymore in the Western or Eastern world even the most conservative don't think this way around here.

If it's dated though, it won't be funny anymore, and what's the point of a joke if it isn't funny?

Touma wrote:
There may be some anime where the line is said seriously, but every time that I can remember hearing it it was a joke.
And the fact that it is stale and dated was part of the joke.

I have actually learned to expect it in certain situations, and I usually get it.

That sounds weird, the idea that it's stale and dated, unless it's coming from a character who often says or does dated old-timey things. Otherwise, it sounds like it'd be out-of-character and a bit immersion-breaking.

rizuchan wrote:
It kinda amazes me anyone would ask this question, and I can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing. Is the writer so detached from women's issues that he (guessing it's a he from the name) doesn't understand the connection between being groped -> feeling "defiled" -> not a virgin -> can't get married? Or sweetly naive because he personally would never think of a woman with sexual experience as "damaged goods" and so doesn't make the connection?

You and I live in the United States, a country whose culture, at least in the present day, does not place much importance in female purity or innocence. (Well, except for insults in the schoolyard, but kids in school are damned if they do and damned if they don't, so it doesn't matter.) The United States, in particular, is quite fond of the sultry woman who's well aware of her sexiness and flaunts it.

Nyren wrote:
I think that stems, not from a purity standpoint, but from the old notion that only one's husband should be allowed to see them naked. Having someone who is not their husband see them naked would be seen as disgraceful among other things.

"Don't show your strange on TV/Your strange is for your husband/And not the world to see!" - Plex, from Yo Gabba Gabba! ([spoiler]when he appeared in South Park)

Agent355 wrote:
2. The idea that virginity=purity may not completely hold true in today's Japan, but it still has plenty of reverberations in their culture. And in most cultures, frankly. Most cultures are guided by that good ol' double standard that boys and men need to be sexual to prove their masculinity, and girls and women can't be sexual (or, in more modern terms as sexual as boys/men) lest it ruin their femininity. If you think that Western society has completely gotten rid of the double standard, your kidding yourself.

I think it comes down to the local culture, and sometimes even further down than that, maybe even down to the individual. At my high school and at university, depending on the guy, a girl who's had a lot of sex might be seen as a "whore," or she might be seen as "experienced and ready."
Afezeria

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh, indeed it's usually served as a joke. The line "I can't get married now!" also seemed really ridiculous when you think about it. I watched a lot of modern anime every season since 2012 but I cannot really recalled which anime has used it. I guess it is pretty old and stale now, or my faulty memory is at it again. I think I heard it somewhere in Shimoneta.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
I think it depends on what part of the United States you're referring to. I would believe that things like purity and virginity have more importance in the more conservative states.

Which gets funny when you look at all the underage pregnancies in some of those same states.

As for the joke I've only seen it come up 3 times, twice in Kampfer and once in Rumble Roses XX.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
As for the joke I've only seen it come up 3 times, twice in Kampfer and one in Rumble Roses XX.

Actually, my first thought was Sailor Moon, when Usagi's comically vain/date-obsessed teacher Ms. Haruna, usually the hardass on Usagi's test scores, had her skirt flipped up by a delinquent-possessed Umino.
I suspect the poster had the same scene in mind.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm seeing some extreme cases, but there were a lot of girls at my high school who became pregnant and were proud of it. They treated giving birth as something of a rite of passage into adulthood (with their parents taking care of the child, who in turn are proud they've become grandparents so soon). There was a project we had to do in one of our classes involving drawing the moment in our lives we were most proud of, and for one of the girls in the class, she chose the day that a friend of hers gave birth.

That being said, in these cases, the guy is expected to stick around to help take care of the child too, then marry her once they're legally allowed to do so. And teenage boys being teenage boys, I often saw the guys just up and leave not wanting to deal with raising a baby, and it would be him who would be mocked and ridiculed by other people.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
If it's dated though, it won't be funny anymore, and what's the point of a joke if it isn't funny?

For parody purposes. Why do you think comedies like Family Guy which relies on references and schticks to be made fun of are still enjoyed by the millions?

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Maybe I'm seeing some extreme cases, but there were a lot of girls at my high school who became pregnant and were proud of it. They treated giving birth as something of a rite of passage into adulthood (with their parents taking care of the child, who in turn are proud they've become grandparents so soon). There was a project we had to do in one of our classes involving drawing the moment in our lives we were most proud of, and for one of the girls in the class, she chose the day that a friend of hers gave birth.

Sounds like your school was situated in a poor neighborhood. High school pregnancies are usually linked with poverty and strife where most of the inhabitants make poor life choices and have very little to aspire to. This type of behavior seems tolerated, even encouraged, in Hispanic and African American communities. Similar to 3rd world societies in Africa and Asia.

Last edited by Paiprince on Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5