• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tales of Zestiria the X

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Only because he didn't have 2 active squires in the game. Now he does and it's sharing the burden with them that allowed him to succeed. That's probably the reason he's so much better than past Shepards: he didn't go it alone.

Except for the fact that the game established that there were periods in time where there were tons of Shepherds at the same time, and they each had tons of Squires.
Generations

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:51 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Not really. I mean, he doesn't have that many big achievements on his belt. He purified that drake and that dead dragon. That's about it.

So being the first Shepherd in a thousand years, the first bridge between man and Seraph in a thousand years, having powers beyond those of even the strongest of mortal men, having the power to armitize with multiple seraphs to gain even stronger forms that very few can, and the ability to purify hellions and defeat dragons isn't impressive enough? Is that just regular special? Not SPECIAL special?

It reminds me kind of the 'Super Coordinators' in Gundam SEED. Just how special do you want to be when regular special isn't enough?

Vaisaga wrote:
Only because he didn't have 2 active squires in the game. Now he does and it's sharing the burden with them that allowed him to succeed. That's probably the reason he's so much better than past Shepards: he didn't go it alone.

Except in accordance to Zestiria's own lore, Shepherds used to exist en masse and in groups, and could probably communicate with more available seraphim and even add the power of the Normin when they were more common. I think they are definitely more qualified in purifying dragons, but if they couldn't then clearly it just can't be done. It's not like no one's ever tried before. Edna's the oldest of the group, and she's been trying for MILLENNIA. She wasn't suffering from a lack of trying, she was suffering from extreme denial.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Except for the fact that the game...

This is the anime, not the game. I can unironically say your argument is invalid.

Generations wrote:
So being the first Shepherd in a thousand years, the first bridge between man and Seraph in a thousand years, having powers beyond those of even the strongest of mortal men, having the power to armitize with multiple seraphs to gain even stronger forms that very few can, and the ability to purify hellions and defeat dragons isn't impressive enough? Is that just regular special? Not SPECIAL special?

The super powers and such come with being the Shepard, so yeah, that's "normal" for Shepards. But my comment was in response to your accusations of Gary Stu-ness. A real Gary Stu would have achieved much more with far less difficulty than Sorey has done so far.

Generations wrote:
Except in accordance to Zestiria's own lore, Shepherds used to exist en masse and in groups,

What episode was that stated in? What we do know is that the Shepard, or at least the one with the power of purification, is the one person who pulls the sword and makes a contract with Lailah.
Generations

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:55 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
The super powers and such come with being the Shepard, so yeah, that's "normal" for Shepards. But my comment was in response to your accusations of Gary Stu-ness. A real Gary Stu would have achieved much more with far less difficulty than Sorey has done so far.

I made no such accusations, nor have I ever even used the word 'Gary Stu' until this very moment. I don't know whose comments you've been reading, but my statement was a rebuttal to you saying he 'didn't have any big achievements'. While such powers and feats are 'normal' for Shepherds, that doesn't make them any less incredible -- especially since Sorey is still the one and only Shepherd currently in the world, and has been the only one for a thousand years.

Vaisaga wrote:
What episode was that stated in? What we do know is that the Shepard, or at least the one with the power of purification, is the one person who pulls the sword and makes a contract with Lailah.

Who has existed for over a thousand years, and has mentioned the existence of previous Shepherds, having been with one before. Edna has existed for far longer than that. I'd say they both would know more than anyone, and having been alive for that long I'd say they'd have seen other Shepherds who have likely tried to purify a dragon.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
This latest episode definitely makes up for the previous one's lack of impact in regards to the spoiler[Rising Up battle]. I think this one is just so damn good in a lot of ways.

First is the shoutout to spoiler[Berseria, by directly naming Velvet and Artorius, and the event that played out at the start of their game]. Second is spoiler[Rose trying to pick out winter clothing for Sorey]; this is definitely a shoutout to Tales of Eternia, which had a similar event where spoiler[Reid had to pick out cold weather gear for Farah, Keele and Meredy before they could meet with Celsius]. Third is spoiler[the Hyland knights and Scattered Bones accompanying Sorey and everyone, along with the Normin, Sergei and the Rolance knights joining them later on; massive team up confirmed]!

The interesting key point of this episode is spoiler[Rose and Alisha attempting Armatization; we know in-game Rose masters it upon her officially joining the party, but Alisha has no ability to do so. It was interesting to see Alisha actually attempting it since she was never given an opportunity to do so in the game. I'm not too surprised that they're sticking with the fact she can't do it, but it's unique that Rose is shown unable to do it too. I wonder if she's going to pull it off at some point down the line during the battle with Heldalf].
shadowmaksim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
As if it hasn't already been apparent enough, this adaptation has near completely gone off the rails from the game at this point.

Like, wow. It feels like nearly all the complaints most people had about various plot points from the game have been addressed and changed accordingly one way or another. They are barely even the same at this point.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
I made no such accusations, nor have I ever even used the word 'Gary Stu' until this very moment.

You're right, my bad. It was leatherhead333 in the series discussion thread who said it.

Generations wrote:
Who has existed for over a thousand years, and has mentioned the existence of previous Shepherds, having been with one before. Edna has existed for far longer than that. I'd say they both would know more than anyone, and having been alive for that long I'd say they'd have seen other Shepherds who have likely tried to purify a dragon.

But no mention of there being several Shepards existing at the same time. I'm sure other Shepards tried, but they obviously didn't succeed. So either they didn't think to do Sorey's method, or either the squires or Shepard themselves were simply lacking.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
[Edit]: This post was reported for not using spoiler tags. I've deleted it, but please try again, using tags this time. (Feel free to delete this comment when you do.)

Also, please use proper grammar. Errinundra.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Alisha armatizing would be cool, but that would stray too far from the game, though in my opinion almost everything they've done in the anime thus far has been a substantial improvement over anything the game did originally.

They're likely doing the whole bit with Symonne warning them and showing some doubt with Heldalf's scheme to give her a bit more characterizing, though she's still not really showing much more than she had in the game. She's still just as unexplained as she was before, and Evil Madoka's motivation for joining Dark Leomon is still just as paper thin.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Careful Rebecca, your fujoshi is showing Laughing

I'm a bit surprised you ranked the episode so highly. The attempts to make Lunarre (fox faced guy) and Symonne sympathetic were very last minute and underdeveloped, Sorey seemed to be taking down those dragons real easy (it's not clear if he actual purifies them or just knocks them down), and the squires armatizing happened a bit too casually considering how they were struggling with it earlier in the episode.

Granted I'm more willing to overlook some of this stuff since the show's garnered so much good will. And seeing Alisha finally armatizing was a long time dream for a bunch of people (I'm glad she got her own outfit and they didn't just recycle Rose's). She even got a transformation sequence!

I don't agree with what you said about how Alisha views Seraphim, though. Rather than tools, she's always viewed them with reverence. That she addresses all of them with "-sama" makes that clear. Rose is certainly closer to Dezel on a personal level so I will agree that likely contributed to her success.
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm still wondering if they have any time left to pull out the twist that, to me, defined Zestiria: namely, spoiler[the Lord of Calamity's origin story]. As well as they've been doing with original material, perhaps as an attempt to "improve" Zestiria, there are still some worthy parts of the source material left.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
I'm still wondering if they have any time left to pull out the twist that, to me, defined Zestiria: namely, spoiler[the Lord of Calamity's origin story]. As well as they've been doing with original material, perhaps as an attempt to "improve" Zestiria, there are still some worthy parts of the source material left.

They could easily include that, since spoiler[Sorey's sees a human hellion's past when he purifies them.]
Generations

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:15 am Reply with quote
Full disclosure: seeing Alisha armatize made me squee so hard, it was one of those things I really wish was a thing in the Alisha DLC. Mostly because in the game, Rose is a terrible bore and Alisha was a great character -- one of the few things the anime fixed.

That said, as with my general opinion of the series as a whole, aside from that little enjoyment, so many parts of it felt incredibly rushed and shallow. It's so weird to say that this anime is both too damn slow and too frigging fast at the same time, and it just ends up being lopsided.

It improved a lot of parts from the game that needed improving, and yet somehow removed all the parts from the game that WERE interesting. The game wasn't that great (though it IS one of the few Tales Of games I find tolerable), but the anime doesn't really end up being better than the source material despite all the 'improvements'. It just ends up being just as 'okay I guess'.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:15 pm Reply with quote
The reaction to Alisha armatizing has been ridiculous. Either people really enjoyed it (myself included) because it was a chance to see her do the one thing she couldn't in the game (and see the design for it), or people actually cried foul saying it was done only to appease the hardcore Alisha fans who felt she got shafted (in other words, fan wank pandering). What a ridiculous hypocritical response from the latter since they're also Rose fan freaks. I swear, fandom divides are the most idiotic.

I think the Mikleo mousse moment might be referencing the fact that he's the best chef in the game due to his love of making sweets. It's nice to have that touch (and taste!) of Tales humor from time to time.

Evil Madoka going dragon mode was a unique twist, though it's not like it wildly expanded her character or anything. Making her doubtful of Dark Leomon's plans to drown the world in malevolence was a nice switch, but it's obvious those doubts weren't holding her back in the slightest. It's because she really was nothing more than a minion for the big bad and she didn't have much of a backstory to begin with.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, the armatization outfits were pretty snazzy. Smile I'm still not sure what the point of bringing all the troops was - they can't see wraiths and they're no match for dragons. Seems like they're just extra people to protect.

Did Sorey get drunk off that mousse or what? oO

Sorey: There's world-creation stuff in the North. And earthpulses. Maybe that's why Calamity-kun went north?

Edna: So he's using this to attract malevolence there?

Rose: If he wants to spread malevolence, why go to the empty north instead of cities?

Sorey: Say, everybody. I've been thinking. Why did Calamity-kun head north?

Everybody: ...

Lailah: Ok then...off to bed!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 19