• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sweetness & Lightning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:55 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Sweet potatoes seemed like a strange filling to me for a sweet snack often served with ice cream and chocolate sauce.

As has been said before, this show is an anime set in Japan, not the US. Their tastes are considerably different. And there's a *lot* more to the world of crepes than sweet snacks. (And even as a sweet, I don't think I've ever had one with ice cream or chocolate sauce, let alone both.)

Quote:
Mr. Galigali--I think the translator is taking liberties assuming Galigali-san is male. I'm not even sure it's a pig, looks more like a sheep...thing to me.

In the manga, they mention the breed of pig (which I don't recall), and it's quite hairy. The anime (Magi-Girl) is a caricature as animals in kids shows often are.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:34 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
In the manga, they mention the breed of pig (which I don't recall), and it's quite hairy.

It's probably a Hungarian Mangalica pig:

DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:12 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:
In the manga, they mention the breed of pig (which I don't recall), and it's quite hairy.

I recall googling it, and that looks about right. Thanks!
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Sweet potatoes seemed like a strange filling to me for a sweet snack often served with ice cream and chocolate sauce.

As has been said before, this show is an anime set in Japan, not the US. Their tastes are considerably different. And there's a *lot* more to the world of crepes than sweet snacks. (And even as a sweet, I don't think I've ever had one with ice cream or chocolate sauce, let alone both.)

The US? Excuse me? Crepes are a European creation, especially popular in its origin country of France and the neighboring country of Belgium. Nutella, a popular crepe filling, is a chocolate hazelnut spread from Italy. For once, an extremely unhealthy treat has nothing to do with America! Wink

Gina Szanboti wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:

That's why its called "Galigali"! Cute!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
D'oh, it's right there, how did I not see that?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Did Tsumugi actually think her father was too hard on her at the restaurant? I didn't detect any anger at all on his part - just mild panic and embarrassment. I mean, he's gotten angry at her in the past, but this time, he actually seemed pretty chill, given the circumstances. I'm glad they did away with the "perfect angel" persona Tsumugi was imbued with in the first couple episodes, but she kind of pushed my buttons this week. (Of course, that's probably what the show was going for.)

"Yuuka-chan says her mom is nice and doesn't get mad."

Uh-huh. You're being a jerk.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Did Tsumugi actually think her father was too hard on her at the restaurant? I didn't detect any anger at all on his part

How a five year old sees things, and how an adult sees things are... not even close to being the same thing.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
With regard to certain issues, I agree, but when I was five, I could generally distinguish between genuine anger and concerned exasperation on the part of my parents. Since Tsumugi has actually seen how her father acts when he's angry, it struck me as odd that she was unable to make the same distinction. If she had no frame of reference, I could understand why she thought his reaction to her outburst constituted "scolding."
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
With regard to certain issues, I agree, but when I was five, I could generally distinguish between genuine anger and concerned exasperation on the part of my parents

Seriously? That's you. That's not everyone. And that's not taking into account that Tsumugi was already in a distraught state when things tend to be amplified.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Most of the kids I knew growing up - as well as various nieces and nephews in Tsumugi's age bracket - understood/understand the difference between a legitimately pissed off parent and a parent who wants them to tone things down.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
I think it does have something to do how in general Tsumugi was in bad mood/frame of mind, she had kind of been like that since she realised that her mother would not be coming back. I also can't be sure if it might be a Japanese thing or the fact that he is currently having to be both parents, being the extra nice one and the strict one.

She was being a but of a brat, it maybe should earn points for showing kid being unreasonable yet reasonable in a kid sense, but the later developments with her stand out quite a bit to the earlier ones.

Didn't really see any real mention of an observation I had the Tsumugi was kind of a bit too interested to see Kotori's mother, and in general I think painted a picture that she was kind of desperate for a mother figure. Like how she kept telling him to talk about girls in the other episode.
Sprocket

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
And I was so sure they were going to use Chapter 15 of the manga as the ending, instead of just a really, really small piece of it, but then I remember that it didn't have the 'cooking in the second act' part that all other episodes did. Gotta give the audience what it wants!

But seriously, if you liked this, I recommend the manga, especially since, like Ore Monogatari, I don't see a second season happening despite its popularity.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I think it does have something to do how in general Tsumugi was in bad mood/frame of mind, she had kind of been like that since she realised that her mother would not be coming back. I also can't be sure if it might be a Japanese thing or the fact that he is currently having to be both parents, being the extra nice one and the strict one.

She was being a but of a brat, it maybe should earn points for showing kid being unreasonable yet reasonable in a kid sense, but the later developments with her stand out quite a bit to the earlier ones.

Didn't really see any real mention of an observation I had the Tsumugi was kind of a bit too interested to see Kotori's mother, and in general I think painted a picture that she was kind of desperate for a mother figure. Like how she kept telling him to talk about girls in the other episode.

I thought that, too! I can see Tsumugi trying to become matchmaker in the months and years to come. Very Happy

And really, the Inazumas could do a lot worse than Kotori and her mother for a re-forged family~

I didn't see it mentioned by anyone, and I could just be jumping to conclusions, but does anyone else get the feeling Yagi may have had a thing for.....um....Tsumugi's papa? (I can't believe I forget his name...)
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Kendra Kirai wrote:
And really, the Inazumas could do a lot worse than Kotori and her mother for a re-forged family~

I didn't see it mentioned by anyone, and I could just be jumping to conclusions, but does anyone else get the feeling Yagi may have had a thing for.....um....Tsumugi's papa? (I can't believe I forget his name...)

It's not hard to forget Kouhei's name. He's usually addressed as Papa or Sensei by the other two main characters.

Kotori would have a tough time dealing with a romance between her mother and Kouhei, I suspect. That thought crossed my mind, too, when she appeared. Still, I'm not sure whether she'd be a good fit given how much time she spends away from home. Tsumugi might feel cheated given how strongly she yearns for a mother figure.

I also thought there was a hint of Yagi being interested in Kouhei at the outset, but they were pushing the Yagi + Shinobu pairing pretty hard down the stretch, despite him being about twice her age. I don't really get the fascination with adult/adolescent romances that seem rather common in Japanese media. He, too, might be interested in Iida-san romantically were he not such a fanboy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8