• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sweetness & Lightning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Since green peppers always tasted like nothing to me, I was surprised so many of the kids I grew up with hated them with a passion.

Interesting. I've always found green peppers to have a rather bitter flavor; I've generally eaten them if they were put in front of me (though I'll sometimes pick them off a slice of pizza if I'm REALLY not in the mood), but they are among the few vegetables that I don't really like and don't cook with myself (though I don't dislike them anywhere near as much as, say, turnip greens, which are some of the bitterest, nastiest things I've ever eaten). A green pepper is actually just the unripe version of a red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, and I like those just fine - they have more sweetness and less bitterness in them when they're ripe.

So yeah, I was totally sympathizing with Tsumugi in this episode (and reliving family memories like my brother sneaking his peas to the dog, or hiding them under the rim of his dinner plate!)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
In the Japanese dish, the addition of sauteed onions, egg, worcester (or some equivalent), bread crumbs, garlic, tofu, and any of a number of other ingredients pretty much means you have to work the mixture fairly thoroughly to get all the flavors melding and the consistency...well, consistent.

This reminds me of another interesting titbit of episode three: the term "Worcestershire Sauce" was written in the official subtitles, yet "Worcester Sauce" was mentioned in the script. It is interesting how the longer but less geographically specific name is so frequently used.

DerekL1963 wrote:
Mostly - Hamburg Steak (hanbaagu) is not a hamburger (hambaagaa). Unlike a hamburger (which relies only on fat for juiciness) and more like meatloaf it has a number of additional moisture enhancing ingredients (onion, panade, tofu, eggs).

And so we reach the meat of the matter! Thank you! It would be interesting to see where steak haché would fall in this dichotomy, given that it is cooked like a hamburger but served in a decidedly bunless fashion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
steelmirror wrote:
In the Japanese dish, the addition of sauteed onions, egg, worcester (or some equivalent), bread crumbs, garlic, tofu, and any of a number of other ingredients pretty much means you have to work the mixture fairly thoroughly to get all the flavors melding and the consistency...well, consistent.

This reminds me of another interesting titbit of episode three: the term "Worcestershire Sauce" was written in the official subtitles, yet "Worcester Sauce" was mentioned in the script. It is interesting how the longer but less geographically specific name is so frequently used.
It gets worse: in Japanese it's most often shortened to just "sauce". I recall getting very confused when I first started consuming untranslated anime and manga and encountered characters in comedy series fighting over whether a particular dish is best eaten with soy sauce (shōyu) or "sauce" (sōsu) Very Happy
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
the term "Worcestershire Sauce" was written in the official subtitles, yet "Worcester Sauce" was mentioned in the script. It is interesting how the longer but less geographically specific name is so frequently used.

Worcestershire Sauce is the name of a specific seasoning sold by the Lea & Perrins in the US. On the back it says that since 1835 it is the only truly authentic brand of Worcestershire Sauce. In the past the outer label said "Based on a recipe of a nobleman of the county" I've never seen any other brand of the stuff nor have I seen anything labeled "Worcester Sauce".

Last edited by Alan45 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
It gets worse: in Japanese it's most often shortened to just "sauce". I recall getting very confused when I first started consuming untranslated anime and manga and encountered characters in comedy series fighting over whether a particular dish is best eaten with soy sauce (shōyu) or "sauce" (sōsu) Very Happy

Though the recipes and tastes are in the same neighborhood, "sauce" and "Worcestershire sauce" are actually different products. (And "sauce" can refer to a number of related products.) Though Worcestershire sauce is often called out as a substitute for sauce when Japanese recipes are translated/adapted for the West, I sometimes use a mix of A-1 and ketchup if I don't happen to have a bottle of sauce on hand.

(Yes, among other things, I'm a culinary/cooking nerd.)
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Though the recipes and tastes are in the same neighborhood, "sauce" and "Worcestershire sauce" are actually different products. (And "sauce" can refer to a number of related products.) Though Worcestershire sauce is often called out as a substitute for sauce when Japanese recipes are translated/adapted for the West, I sometimes use a mix of A-1 and ketchup if I don't happen to have a bottle of sauce on hand.
I see, that explains a lot. I was aware that "sauce" refers to more than one kind of sauce, but the Japanese explanation that I had heard was that they are all in the "Worcestershire sauce family". I didn't realize that the English definition of Worcestershire sauce was this narrow (it's not very popular where I'm from).
dash56

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Thank the gods for this show and timeslot. After all the drama of my Sunday show, this is such a soothing watch.

Tsumugi was perfect as always especially with the sneaky move she pulled on her dad. I'm liking the relationship between him and Kotori. It's cool how they talk to each other at the window. My inner nerd was reminded of Vir and Lennier and how they would meet up talking about their problems.

10 magical clump points for anyone who can understand that reference Cool .
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Since green peppers always tasted like nothing to me, I was surprised so many of the kids I grew up with hated them with a passion.

Interesting. I've always found green peppers to have a rather bitter flavor; I've generally eaten them if they were put in front of me (though I'll sometimes pick them off a slice of pizza if I'm REALLY not in the mood), but they are among the few vegetables that I don't really like and don't cook with myself (though I don't dislike them anywhere near as much as, say, turnip greens, which are some of the bitterest, nastiest things I've ever eaten).

This is likely due to genetics. There are at least 25 different genes for detecting bitterness (making it much more complicated than the super-taster/non-taster dichotomy people may have heard of), which explains why people can like some bitter tastes and not others. Also, different foods have chemicals we can detect in varying quantities - bell peppers have bitter compounds humans can smell at 1 part per trillion or less (the methyl mercaptan added to natural gas is detectable at 2 parts per billion).

This can certainly change over your lifetime though, for various reasons. I used to only be able to taste the soapy flavor of cilantro (caused by its aldehyde content), but now I can taste the citrus side of it too and love it. I also used to never care for bell peppers (which are called mangos in the midwest US), but I've acquired a taste for them now and would eat sliced red bells like potato chips if they weren't so expensive.

Cooking vegetables also changes their flavor profile and mouth feel and I tend to favor raw veggies over cooked ones. I really don't care for cooked green bells, but raw they are fantastic on pizza. Sometimes I'll try to get pizza places to just give me the peppers on the side, with varying success.

So Tsumugi may eventually grow to like bell peppers or she may never like them. Ya never know.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
@Gina: how expensive are red bell peppers? Since these cost about 80 eurocents for one over here.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
Depends on the season. I'm in Northern CA and last week I paid $1.60 each (cf ~ 80 cents for green ones), but I'd say the range is from $1 - $3.50 each (organic ones can run up to $5 in the winter). $2 is about as high as I'm willing to go unless I'm really jonesing for curry. We're supposed to get fresh veggies cheaper here since we grow like half the world's supply for most things, but apparently not. :/ I always thought farmers' markets were supposed to be cheaper for cutting out the middlemen, but the only ones I can get to are about 50% more expensive than grocery stores.

Paying by each instead of by weight is a poor comparison though, since the ones I just got were maybe 2.5" tall with the top cut off, while sometimes I can get ones that are 5-6" for a buck each. I imagine different varieties come to market at different times.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:41 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
This is likely due to genetics. There are at least 25 different genes for detecting bitterness (making it much more complicated than the super-taster/non-taster dichotomy people may have heard of), which explains why people can like some bitter tastes and not others.

Intriguing. There is certainly a bitterness that is more pronounced in green, yellow or orange bell peppers than in the perennially favoured red variety, but it tends not to be dominant. When I add peppers to curries and similar dishes, their presence imparts a certain sweetness to the resulting dish, along with a mildly fruity but very much noticeable tang.
Quote:
Depends on the season. I'm in Northern CA and last week I paid $1.60 each (cf ~ 80 cents for green ones), but I'd say the range is from $1 - $3.50 each (organic ones can run up to $5 in the winter).

As it happens, the peppers we import are slightly cheaper. Most local retailers make a rule to always charge the same for peppers of any colour, for the sake of chromatic equality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:48 am Reply with quote
I'm jealous of your peppercolorblindness. Here red, yellow and orange peppers are always more expensive than green, usually twice the price.

I'm not really sure why the season makes such a difference in price, since CA has 4 major growing regions for peppers and they're coordinated to provide harvests year round. Plus Mexico. So they should never be in short supply, barring natural crop disasters and such.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Green and yellow bell peppers are usually more expensive over here Laughing.
I'm not really keen on green peppers either... they are a bit bitter indeed...
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm jealous of your peppercolorblindness. Here red, yellow and orange peppers are always more expensive than green, usually twice the price.

Here (near Seattle) too...
Clarste

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I also used to never care for bell peppers (which are called mangos in the midwest US)

What? What? What do they call actual mangoes then?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8