• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BLAME! Anime Film to be Netflix Original

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote
Congrats to Nihei on the Inkpot. I like the new design. That character caught my attention in the trailer.

I know I had a problem with Netflix due to Sidonia. I hope whatever problem I had doesn't happen with BLAME!
Cetais

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:

I know I had a problem with Netflix due to Sidonia. I hope whatever problem I had doesn't happen with BLAME!

If it happens again, you'll know who to BLAME!
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:37 am Reply with quote
I'm not that fond of the shaded cel CGI look that Netflix insists on pushing to their audience and hiring the same animation studio to put out such stiff and underwhelming animation work is simply unappealing. I have no issue with 2D animation and CGI meshing together when its done in a competent manner but this isn't a good example of such animation. Oh well the trend will continue that's just a fact at this point in time.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:03 am Reply with quote
The stills of both the concept art and the movie look good.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
Well this sure isn't a surprise! Good to see Polygon has found such a consistent partner for these adaptations though.

I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I'm not that fond of the shaded cel CGI look that Netflix insists on pushing to their audience and hiring the same animation studio to put out such stiff and underwhelming animation work is simply unappealing.

That's really not how this works. Polygon works with Netflix because their western-like business style, and technically competent crew, makes it easy for both parties and they have created a good relationship. And Netflix is willing to pick up or fund any project that sees a return. They aren't prejudiced toward any particular kind of animation. They've also streamed Seven Deadly Sins, Kuromukuro, Glitter Force, and are the actual producers on a 2D animated series called Perfect Bones, by Production IG. If it is a good investment for them, they will do it.
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
And Netflix is willing to pick up or fund any project that sees They aren't prejudiced toward any particular kind of animation. They've also streamed Seven Deadly Sins, Kuromukuro, Glitter Force, and are the actual producers on a 2D animated series called Perfect Bones, by Production IG. If it is a good investment for them, they will do it.

Don't forget Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman, something people thought would never get any sort of large western release until it just came out of nowhere.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Netflix is really going in on anime now. Perhaps being a Netflix original means we'll get a quicker US release? Also, as someone who prefers Nihei's earlier art style his comment about his drawing skills made me chuckle.
Ghostless

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
What I saw so far on the trailer is disgusting, I wondered whether I was witnessing a scene from a PS1 videogame, especialy when Killy turns back almost in slow mo

Everything is wrong in this, Blame! is supposed to be gritty, dark & uncanny,music is WRONG! character design is WRONG!

Oh my god....

https://youtu.be/EunStGCKlSU

THIS is right!
Lokarunith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Ghostless wrote:

These short animations might not have much content but they allways give me goosebumps. I hope the movie captures the foreboding atmosphere of the manga as well as the ONA, but I'm skeptical about that..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1