• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Drifters (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote

What would take a regular army days to conquer was achieved by the Drifters and the Elves in a single night. Gunpowder, magic walls, instantaneous communication via crystal ball and hints from one of the greatest military minds in history certainly bring about a revolution in siege warfare.

Nobunaga's primitive accumulation of gunpowder has proven effective this week, now that St. Germi is on the way to parley with the Drifters knowledge on firing caps and modern firearms will hopefully follow.

One would never guess how the heavy infantry from the castle garrison was defeated after Toyohisa initially gave the order to withdraw, but Olminu and her walls will prove incredibly helpful to the Drifters in the battles to come with the tactical flexibility she affords.

Nobunaga has a tough job as Toyohisa's adviser since the latter's instinctive orders don't always mesh well with properly-planned military strategy and logistics. Now that all the horses in the castle are going to end up as BBQ for everyone, Nobunaga won't have cavalry or any kind of animal husbandry for industry or feed. Interesting that the elves have no idea what rice is, which means the terrain of the fantasy world is based on Europe which is wheat and meat-based.

That final scene is an important one as it sheds light on what the Black King really wants. He's not the first End to be sent to this world, but definitely the first to think about replacing the sentient races with monsters as the fulcrum of civilisation. Regardless of what the viewers think about his true identity, it does set up the duality between Drifters who bring change via technology and innovative thinking vs. the change of destruction and replacement which the Black King is attempting.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
A lot of what I have been doing recently has been reading up on D&D lore, especially with how monsters make settlements, so I thought the bit at the end with what I would say are orcs doing farming, as kind of funny. I appreciate the ideas that it taking someone not part of the general culture to see how best to take advantage of already used technology in a different way.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:27 am Reply with quote
The decision by the heavy armor to sally forth was highly questionable. Why not simply stay inside the castle and let (what appears to be) a lightly armed force dash itself upon the walls? Reinforcements were coming, let them deal with the besiegers.

And there isn't that much duality between Drifters and the Black King. He is bringing change via innovative thinking as well (i.e. teaching monsters the basics of agriculture. Very smart.)

I should also point out that we are past episode 9 and still have not seen Boobie Glasses in a bikini or naked in a hot springs - what kind of cheesy anime is this???
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The decision by the heavy armor to sally forth was highly questionable. Why not simply stay inside the castle and let (what appears to be) a lightly armed force dash itself upon the walls? Reinforcements were coming, let them deal with the besiegers.

And there isn't that much duality between Drifters and the Black King. He is bringing change via innovative thinking as well (i.e. teaching monsters the basics of agriculture. Very smart.)

I should also point out that we are past episode 9 and still have not seen Boobie Glasses in a bikini or naked in a hot springs - what kind of cheesy anime is this???

Your opponents are the elves whom you have bullied for the last 50 years, you don't know they have explosive gunpowder and magic walls and you as the elite force of the country get to show the greenhorns how rebellions are put down. Signal fire for reinforcements was lit AFTER the heavy infantry were slaughtered, the garrison was so confident the heavy infantry would put down the raid they never considered asking for help until they saw the impossible.

Both the Drifters and the Ends are pawns on a battlefield, only difference is the former have their autonomy respected while the latter's sponsor keeps the puppets tight to the string.

If you're looking for scenes like that in this anime, you've been watching the wrong series since the start.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Whoa that was intense. Nobunaga is just so intimidating while Shimazu and the elves marches with their attack with explosive arrows (props to Nobunaga's idea to craft the arrows with them). Even though I find Nobunaga to act like a fool sometimes, that tactic he came up with is genius.

Thought the comedy this episode was okay, a bit too much with Nobunaga's gags though at some points. The episode showed perhaps a glimpse of what Black King's plans will be as well? Scary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote

Not much action, but the motivations of much of the main cast is revealed this week.

It's not mentioned explicitly, but there aren't many figures in human history and mythology who would be gifted the power to multiply cellular forms on a semi-indefinite basis as an End. Come to think of it, what he's thinking of doing isn't that much different from what Nobunaga espoused earlier on.

Natsu no Yoichi is surprisingly bad with alcohol, one would think one of the legends of the Heike would be better at holding his liquor. His grievances with his elder brother seem to be pulled from his exploits there as well as Yoshitsune's own comments earlier during the duel with Gilles de Rais.

Saint-Germi (or the Count of St. Germain for anyone who wants to google him) finally gets to meet the Drifters. His underlings are absolutely useless, but his brain for politics is just as evil as that of Nobunaga's. Most importantly he has knowledge of the artillery of his age so any input he can give to the burgeoning firearms industry is going to be valued. Obviously the founder of the Orte Empire comes as no surprise to anyone who studied 20th century history, but it's probably St. Germi's influence that kept him from being an exact replica of post-Weimar Germany.

As for the dwarves, bloody hell 10 muskets in a day?! Nobunaga wouldn't say it out loud for obvious reasons, but enough black powder and bullets to go with the rifle army that can be equipped at such short notice should give the humans a glimmer of hope against the endless horde the Black King brings. Not to mention the dwarf fighting capabilities are lifted more or less from the western fantasy stereotypes and conventions.

Just realised why the post-ED trailer from the Japanese broadcasts doesn't get included. The humour in this week's episode would be hugely controversial outside of Japan (actually it would but probably to a lesser degree).
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Damn, Black King's powers is definitely no joke. I guess he gained in a new ally on his side with that Bronze monster.

Glad to see Easy this episode even if it was just a brief moment.

Looks like Shimazu was ready to kick some ass until they got an unlikely visitor. Eh compared to some of the other episodes, I feel like this one had even more comedy than the usual especially with Saint Germi and his jokes. Apparently, he's also planning to destroy Orte so it'll be interesting to see how that develops.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Thinking back to the scene where the young dwarf warriors show off the skills, after a check on wikipedia I appreciate some of the research Kouta Hirano must have done into building Toyohisa's character and his martial skills.

Based on this: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/タイ捨流

It appears Toyohisa's attacks with his blade and those without closely mirror what was the style employed by the practitioners of the above school. I've heard about the Jigen school from Rurouni Kenshin, but Toyohisa's school which he claimed used up less time is just as effective given how many battles he's survived.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
It's not mentioned explicitly, but there aren't many figures in human history and mythology who would be gifted the power to multiply cellular forms on a semi-indefinite basis as an End. Come to think of it, what he's thinking of doing isn't that much different from what Nobunaga espoused earlier on.

He is almost definetly Jesus Christ.

I do like all this fantasy world building, and them gaining agriculture or weapons.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

He is almost definetly Jesus Christ.

I do like all this fantasy world building, and them gaining agriculture or weapons.

For a work of fiction, explicitly placing him at the head of an army of demi-humans intent on human genocide is going to raise hackles in some quarters. Fortunately the ones most likely to complain or kill over something like this don't watch this series and don't understand Japanese.

Could be worse, placing someone like Solomon or the Prophet in a similar position would make worldwide news.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:52 am Reply with quote
What's interesting is now that Adolf Hitler has been specifically named, "the Black King" remains the only End or Drifter (so far) who has not. Which, if he is supposed to be Jesus Christ, is appropriate since every other End or Drifter is based on a historically verifiable figure. JC is not. The only record of him comes from the Bible. No other contemporary or near contemporary historical sources make any mention of him.

GIVE ME MY BOOBIENU BIKINI EPISODE, DAMMIT!!!! (And don't be giving me any of your, "this isn't that kind of series" nonsense Harleyquin, because I do not acknowledge the existence of this thing called "reality.")

Oh and by the way, Harleyquin, given that there are only two episodes left, how much of the source material would you estimate is going to be adapted in this season?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
What's interesting is now that Adolf Hitler has been specifically named, "the Black King" remains the only End or Drifter (so far) who has not. Which, if he is supposed to be Jesus Christ, is appropriate since every other End or Drifter is based on a historically verifiable figure. JC is not. The only record of him comes from the Bible. No other contemporary or near contemporary historical sources make any mention of him.

GIVE ME MY BOOBIENU BIKINI EPISODE, DAMMIT!!!! (And don't be giving me any of your, "this isn't that kind of series" nonsense Harleyquin, because I do not acknowledge the existence of this thing called "reality.")

Oh and by the way, Harleyquin, given that there are only two episodes left, how much of the source material would you estimate is going to be adapted in this season?

Kouta Hirano has already taken liberties with some of the Ends. Rasputin certainly did not know the Latin alphabet and Grand Duchess Anastasia wasn't even 21 when she was killed yet is depicted to be in her mid 20s for this adaptation. Readers and viewers can make up their own minds as to who he is since his motives are quite clear-cut at this juncture.

Keep dreaming in La-La land then, but reality isn't a bed of roses and it's tiresome seeing repeated requests for something which just isn't going to happen.

This might fall short of where I initially predicted they would end the series. I thought it would be (source material) spoiler[ the repulsed invasion of the Black King's forces into Orte's Capital ] that would be the cut-off, but it looks increasingly likely they'll finish it with spoiler[ the coup d'etat allowing the Drifters to establish themselves in Orte's Capital ]. Based on the episode titles, my initial guess could still turn out correct if the animators rush it. The series isn't anywhere near done but unlike the first Hellsing adaptation this one has done a good job at staying to the script and retaining most if not all of the content without resorting to dubious anime-original plotlines.

Whether viewers get a second season depends on the retail sales. A significant amount of time will also need to pass before a second season can be animated if they wish to keep the fanbase happy too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:52 am Reply with quote
There is a big difference between taking liberties with a real life historical figure and introducing a character who may not be historical at all.

I haven't looked at your spoilers since I don't want to know anything specific plotwise, what I was really wondering is ... is a quarter of the material likely to be adapted in this season? A half? 73.2394%?

Oh, and I want to see Boobienu in a bikini which I am adding purely to irritate you. Wink
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
There is a big difference between taking liberties with a real life historical figure and introducing a character who may not be historical at all.

I haven't looked at your spoilers since I don't want to know anything specific plotwise, what I was really wondering is ... is a quarter of the material likely to be adapted in this season? A half? 73.2394%?

Oh, and I want to see Boobienu in a bikini which I am adding purely to irritate you. Wink

Religion being the funny thing it is, I've heard arguments that the Bible qualifies as a historical source the same way the Koran and the Hadith do for Islam. Whichever side of the fence you sit on, it doesn't change the fact that all of the Drifters/Ends are figures from history, legend and mythology which Kouta Hirano has put his own spin to.

Look up the scanlations for this series online and that will give you a good idea of % adapted. Based on next week's episode title, I'm thinking at least spoiler[ 61% ] to a maximum of spoiler[ 71% ]. If you have a problem with the figures, it's not a surprise if the print run for Hellsing in magazines is anything to go by.

All I can reply is giving the finger to any more references to bikinis or character's bust sizes. Don't they discuss this kind of frivolous chatter on the talkback forum for this series?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote
Even if you do consider the Bible a "historical source", it is the only source that mentions Jesus. Mohammed's existence is corroborated by many more sources than simply the Koran. We can debate whether he truly was a Prophet designated by Allah. We cannot debate whether Mohammed the man actually existed. Because the Bible is the only "source" of information on Jesus Christ we can debate whether he even existed never mind whether or not he is the Son of God.

As far as I know, Drifters has only used real historical figures, correct? There's been no King Arthur or Merlin or Peter Pan. So if the Black King is really Jesus, the material seems to be breaking its own internal rules for only using historically verifiable (i.e. a person whose existence is mentioned in more than one source) people.

And I am now making it my life's mission to discover a way to introduce the topic of Boobinu's breasts in an intellectually valid way that will force you to take them seriously even if you don't want to. You have been warned.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5