• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do I Introduce Old Anime To Younger Fans?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
In my club (which is a small local independent club) we get people to volunteer to run each meeting. They are in charge of picking out the anime for that meeting, and getting a hold of it, and any approvals if need be. This let there be a lot of variety in anime we showed.

We generally showed episodes 1-4 of a series, movies, short ova series, and some one-shot ovas. Generally, it was nice to get a taste of series but not force everyone to watch the whole thing. Once in a while we did a marathon of series we could fit during our meeting time.

I admittedly once in a while picked stuff that people thought were pretty esoteric like Utena or Trapeze. But I would try to not go overboard. And I got it returned to me when one person ran an all gun themed meeting (oh yeah we usually came up with themes even if it was just comedy night or something) and we watched Upotte!!. Talk about esoteric, though I did like the rest of the stuff he showed. And I did end up watching a bunch of anime I would have otherwise wouldn't have over the years.

My suggestion since it sounds like the members your club haven't watch much is to get a volunteer for each meeting but work with them to find some anime that matches their interests. Like horror? Show some horror anime. Like sports? Show some sports anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
0nsen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
This is simple to answer: don't.

Either they discover it on their own or they're not real fans anyway.

Also, just to have said it, everything past 2004 is new, I'm telling you, new!
silentjay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote
CaptainAvatar wrote:
Summer Wars is considered old anime already? Really? (looks at all his 80's and 90's shows on his shelf). Sigh.

I know, right?

Just shoot me. I've been Danny Glovered.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Sword of the Stranger or Summer Wars are not old, old is pre 2001. This whole getting young people into older Anime thing, well sorry but it shouldn't be a task, you show them an old Anime you think they will like, maybe not bring up that it is old unless they do, and you should be fine. I've seen many kids watch Tom and Jerry from the 1950s(now that is old) and not even question it's age. if something from the 90s is more dated then a show 40 yeas its age, then that's not the viewers fault.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:

Also, just to have said it, everything past 2004 is new, I'm telling you, new!

This. Watching non-mainstream anime with casuals, be it new or old, is a test of patience at best and torture at worst. Imagine comic nerds dumping you loads of old books featuring superheroes you never heard of. You will likely not care.

If you must, I recommend the classics like MD Geist, Apocalypse Zero, Genocyber, Mars of Destruction and Skelter Heaven, preferrably with heavy amounts of alcohol ready for ingestion.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm the president of anime and manga club at my community college. We always try to show both old and recent stuff. In April, we did retro anime from the 60's-80's, we end up watching Speed Racer, Devilman (1972 TV series), Lupin the Third Part 2 (The English dub is pretty popular), Dirty Pair, Vampire Princess Miyu (1988 OVA) and Ronin Warriors (released in 1988). People really enjoy them and we never had people enjoying older anime titles. Two years ago, we show both Star Blazers and Captain Harlock, our members enjoy them a lot. I do find it odd at Summer Wars would be view as old for something that came out a years ago.

I do find it odd sometimes how younger anime fans can't watch older anime, but can watch older western animated shows just fine. Slayers is too old, but Rugrats is just fine. Personally it depends on their taste in anime really. I think stuff like Cowboy Bebop is timeless and can be enjoy by anyone.

Last edited by Spawn29 on Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
When I was running a club, I would do two episodes of something I selected from my collection, followed by two episodes of a series that the club would watch all the way through, which they selected from what I had previously shown them. People could bring something along and we'd show that instead of what I picked if they asked beforehand. If they didn't like what I picked, then we stopped after those first two episodes.

I was running the club at a time when streaming was becoming a major force in viewership, which I thought might open up what we could watch. The problem was that everyone would suggest that we watch whatever new thing they were watching, and voting proved useless because they would vote for their own suggestions. When we were losing about 25% of our meeting time to simply picking what to watch, it became obvious that I needed to narrow down their options.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
0nsen wrote:

This. Watching non-mainstream anime with casuals, be it new or old, is a test of patience at best and torture at worst. Imagine comic nerds dumping you loads of old books featuring superheroes you never heard of. You will likely not care.

I don't have to imagine, I can go to a theater and watch Suicide Squad. Razz

And the reason I make that joke is, yes--In being a fan-evangelist, you can be a Disney/Marvel, or you can be a Warner/DC:
They won't discover it on their own--that's the problem-- but you can sell someone out of the blue on the appealing basics of a cleverly designed character or concept just by showing the cool universal appeal of the story, and watch them become curious enough to build on that by learning other stories...
OR, you can browbeat, frighten and bury them with your own personal fandom issues at something that happen to click a button in your own life for being so "different", "edgy!" or esoteric, and then throw a big fit when it doesn't suit their own unaccustomed tastes and berate them that they "don't understand it" because they'd "rather have that kiddy-fight Bleach stuff".

Don't be the anime fan who says that we should get rid of new anime clubs that are so "out of touch" to not like Eva or Madoka.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
These students have joined an anime club, so I think they're not quite as limited in their knowledge as the writer implied, but even if they are, they're at least interested in anime a step more than if you were trying to introduce your friends or relatives to anime. Which makes things a lot easier.

First thing is to make sure they're aware of the resources available to them to find their own anime at their own pace. Include information about legal streaming sources, discussion forums, books, past and current seasonal new-series lists, and reference info like ANN's Encyclopedia and MAL.

Once they have that in hand, send them out with a couple of title suggestions (movies and OVAs to start) to watch on their own time, then use the club time to get their feedback (to give you a handle of what will fly and what won't) and talk about any titles they might have heard about. Since discussing stuff you've seen is half the fun of social anime watching, I don't think this would feel like "homework," but the more they run their own club, the better. Your role is just to throw them a few ideas that might not have been on their radar. Add a brief description to whet their interest and let them decide what sounds good to them.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Depends on the age. Whatever anime I saw on Toonami(DBZ, Sailor Moon, Gundam, etc.), Kids WB(Pokemon, Yugioh, etc.), Fox Kids(Digimon, Monster Rancher, etc.) Adult Swim(Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha, Fullmetal Alchemist, etc.) is what I'm going to recommend you begin with. I'm not pushing these on younger fans. Its just a good starting point to know these popular series. Plus, planting seeds.

CaptainAvatar wrote:
Summer Wars is considered old anime already? Really? (looks at all his 80's and 90's shows on his shelf). Sigh.

Is Digimon Adventure Bokura no War Game old? Wink
Barciad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
That is a very good question. Most of my anime tends to be of the 90's variety and it's rare to find anyone that's heard of (let alone watched - or God forbid, liked)it. Points 1, 3, and 4 seem to be the big ones. I.e. (accessible) classics that are aimed at the target audience. In other words, stuff that you just can't argue with.
I still remember when I watched 'Vision of Escaflowne' for the first time. On the big screen in the students' union with full surround sound. There's no going back from moments like that.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
College-age kids who are still on Shōnen Jump which is aimed at 5-year-olds? Wow!

Are there girls on club? They just love fujo-shi...stuff, throw them good old Junjō Romantica, or if you want all icky stuff then it is Super Lovers.

Boys will be equally happy to expand their views on ecchi. Your choice here is Kissxsis, or if you want some more action Queen's Blade or classic Agent Aika.

Are there chūnibyō-losers in the club? They know no better than Neon Genesis Evangelion or Mahō Shōjo Madoka☆Magika.
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote
One of the big failings I see when people rec stuff to anime newbies is they rec shows they like, but often require genre awareness to enjoy properly. A big one is Ouran High School Host Club. I see people rec that to anime newbies all the time, even though it's a genre parody. What's even weirder to me is that people still like it when there's sooo many pop culture references and such that are flying over their heads.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
giving the series an hd make over would be a plus

kids are getting those HD or Quad HD phone now a day

so watching some old series with 360p or 480p series on the large screen can be a turn off for some
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
It's interesting that the question is phrased - "how do I introduce them old stuff?", rather than - "how do I get them interested in a wider range of stuff?". The questioner says she isn't trying to force her tastes on them, but to me the way the question was posed (and the supporting material) tells a slightly different tale.

I've introduced people to a variety of things, and trying to lead them to older stuff is something that has to be done carefully because they were written for a different era and under a different set of assumptions as to the audience. Not to mention things that were "current classics" back then don't always stand the test of time. Beware the rose tint that glasses acquire as the years pass.

1000 times this. It's not so much that old anime was written for a different era, it's that most people that are into old anime are into it because they watched it as kids. That skews the relationship in such a way that it cannot be carried over to modern audiences. And yeah watching old anime through nostalgia glasses is very dangerous. The same cycle will repeat with the current anime fan generation in 30 years time. They will become old and look at today's anime with nostalgia. Their kids will watch their modern version of anime and laugh at what their parents were watching. Rinse and repeat. People that want to watch anime outside their generational timeframe either have to develop an interest for it, or have to watch it as some kind of documentary. But they are never going to relate to it the same way the as the generation that watched it when it first aired on tv/streamed on the internet.

Quote:

Don't lock them outside the mainstream of modern fandom. Don't try and recreate your past.

My approach would be to expand their tastes starting with the modern mainstream (say no older than 3-5 years), because... well, they're written and produced for modern audiences (which these students are). Work outwards from there into older and outside the mainstream stuff.

Each generation has it's own anime. Let the kids of today enjoy the anime that airs today, and leave the old series for fans that develop an interest for it. But don't try to impose your point of view on them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8