• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2017 Godzilla Anime Film Penned by Gen Urobuchi, Animated by Polygon Pictures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salomon Gomez

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
I'm so hype I had to make an account just to post this.

Merman-X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
not sure why people keep bashing on Polygon Pictures's CG, ignoring Knights of Sidonia & Ajin: Demi Human, they can do a decent CG work if done right like their Transformers Prime series which has good CG work in it.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
...I had no idea so many people actually liked Godzilla. Thought it was more of a so-bad-it's-good thing. Apparently not?

I'm not sure why I pay attention to what Urobuchi's working on when the only thing he's produced that I actually liked was Madoka, because it was considerably less brutal and cynical than usual for him. Wishful thinking, maybe. But that super-darkness presumably works well for monster movies...?
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
...I had no idea so many people actually liked Godzilla. Thought it was more of a so-bad-it's-good thing. Apparently not?

Godzilla is a major culture icon, just not in Japan but in the rest of the world. Godzilla had a major impact on many people including myself. Some of the later Showa films fall under so bad it's good like Godzilla vs. Megalon and Godzilla vs. Gigan, but Godzilla does have films that are serious like the original. Even Mothra vs. Godzilla in 1964 had a pretty serious story to it.
redranger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Gen "overrated" Urobuchi? Hmm, it'll be shit then. I've never seen a single thing with his name attached that I've liked.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Urobuchi + Polygon = magic
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

I'm not sure why I pay attention to what Urobuchi's working on when the only thing he's produced that I actually liked was Madoka, because it was considerably less brutal and cynical than usual for him. Wishful thinking, maybe. But that super-darkness presumably works well for monster movies...?

I'm guessing you saw his other stuff before you checked out Madoka, hence your timeline, but Madoka was kind of his first big project(in anime), so there wasn't really a "usual" yet for him. But I would argue that everything he has made since, that he has had prominent control over, has been pretty equally optimistic, if not more so. His focus on the indomitable human spirit is a big part of that. Even if the world sucks, he believes in individuals.

redranger wrote:
Gen "overrated" Urobuchi? Hmm, it'll be shit then. I've never seen a single thing with his name attached that I've liked.

Oh, look at this cool person on the internet! Cool
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
I have seen "Aldnoah.Zero" (both seasons),"Blassreiter", "Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet" (TV and OVA), 'Puella Magi Madoka Magica" (show and movies), and "Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~". What is it about Urobuchi that people call him "Urobutcher"?
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I have seen "Aldnoah.Zero" (both seasons),"Blassreiter", "Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet" (TV and OVA), 'Puella Magi Madoka Magica" (show and movies), and "Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~". What is it about Urobuchi that people call him "Urobutcher"?

Madoka episode 3 is probably the biggest one. But beyond that, yeah, there is really not much basis behind it. It just creates an easy portmanteau, I guess. And people aren't really used to someone writing a realistic world and plot that doesn't constantly make huge exceptions for it's main characters so they don't have to go through major struggles.
Merman-X

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:18 am Reply with quote
don't forget him doing a live action show that is Kamen Rider Gaim which is one of the best Kamen Rider shows, if try to ignore the toy commercial gimmick that has been plagued the franchise & just focus more on the plot.
TheArsonAut

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Good news!
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
Merman-X wrote:
not sure why people keep bashing on Polygon Pictures's CG, ignoring Knights of Sidonia & Ajin: Demi Human, they can do a decent CG work if done right like their Transformers Prime series which has good CG work in it.

Prime and RiD aren't written by Japanese people, so they're ignored by the anime sites, and since they're not part of an IP owned by Disney or Warner, they're ignored by the general geek culture sites.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote
I would very much enjoy if Crunchyroll could get a simulcast release like they have done with those new "Digimon" movies. Enough fan urging could make that happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3