• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
I have only six episodes left to finish ZZ, but I think I can comment on this first part.

While I love much more the second half of it, I think the first half wasn't quite as bad as I've read. I think I needed a tonal shift from Zeta, which sometimes bored me with its plotline. Like, it's mostly the crew moving from point A to point B and strike down enemy forces, the problem is that we have a fight in the episode they plan to leave point A, two more episodes of fighting until getting to point B, and another when we reach point B. The best arcs in Zeta and ZZ are two or three-parters (Four Murasame and Blue Team's arcs are awesome...Moon-Moon doesn't count), it makes the story much more cohesive. Making enemies come back every damn time can get annoying, but having new enemies also confuses people a bit, so it's a problem of balance.

Mashymare Cello (to me it's just Marcello) was a lovable dork, seriously, I liked him way more than some other "mid-bosses", the way he casually remembers Haman every time a new situation comes in, and Haman always being in very awkward poses that I would certainly not expect (nothing surpasses her chilling in the balcony). Also, most of the comedy that comes from him is not intended to be laugh-out-loud, there is no "fun" music or the joke extended longer than needed.

For example, his right hand asks him "...How is that rose not rotten?" "It's varnished, you idiot" I really laughed because these characters with roses have them for days and days and they never rot, so that was fun. He also starts the running joke (they forgot it after a while) of people not using the hatches on Earth. "We still haven't attached the hatch!" "Eh, I prefer convertibles". He is like a James, he is just fun and gentlemanly evil.

All the others that come after him except for Haman and Glemy Toto are forgettable. Especially Chara Soon and whoever his right hand was, I could not care about him at all.

Oh, also, I heard that the ZZ crew was boring at first and only gets interesting later. To me, Elle, Roux, Judau and Iino were a likeable bunch from the get-go and they just get better from there, Mondo and Beecha are pretty annoying though and the only time I might care about either of them is if they die by the end of ZZ, which I doubt.

Last edited by Valhern on Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
jtron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
My Stardew Valley chickens are named after members of the Shinsengumi Smile
thenix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Gundam X takes so long to develop, man it just kills the series. ZZ Gundam basically doesn't develop till the end of the series, I love the change of pace and how it takes it's time.
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
"final part of the original Univeral Century timeline"

You know, except for Char's Counterattack. And Unicorn. And F91. And Victory. And all the semi-official spinoffs like Crossbone.
silentjay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:34 am Reply with quote
AmuroNT1 wrote:
"final part of the original Univeral Century timeline"

You know, except for Char's Counterattack. And Unicorn. And F91. And Victory. And all the semi-official spinoffs like Crossbone.

Keyword: original, as in the original arc and key players, though Char's Counterattack is an oversight. The others are either revivals, or unrelated stories set outside the events and aftermath of One Year War.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
It's very cool to see Double Zeta getting some more reviews. I'm currently finishing up the last disc of Vol. 1 for the Blu Ray and honestly, I'm enjoying the different tone and risks this show has taken so far. Is it better than the previous entries like Zeta and the original? No. But I appreciate the fact, that's it's different and going by it's own beats. I will say after all these years of finally seeing the infamous Moon Moon arc that I heard so much about, it definitely wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. I thought it was quite humorous and it was nowhere near as awful as people made it out to be. Weird and different, sure. But not total trash like I had to hear about for years.

Also while reading the article, I noticed this error.

Quote:
Things are made worse by the fact that Kamille Bidan, the AEUG's ace, was crippled in battle against Paptimus Scirocco, a Newtype of unprecedented power and Haman's mole within the Federation.

Scirocco has nothing to do with Haman. He isn't her mole at all, so I'm not sure were this notion comes from. Scirocco has his own agenda for the Titans, and his own agenda for acquiring power. In fact Haman spoiler[actually dealt Scirocco/Titans a huge blow when she allied with the AEUG and rammed The Gate of Zedan with Axis. And later Scirocco using Haman as the scapegoat for his assassination of Jamitov to become the de facto leader of the Titans. ] So he isn't working for her or have some hidden understanding with her, they are enemies.

Just wanted to point that out though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1