• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shōnen Jump Authors Comment on Bleach Ending

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Bleach's last arc filled in some plot holes

.....while creating a few more.

theNightster wrote:
killing some characters at the beginning

Too bad most of them were characters who served very little importance in the story. Whereas others were just.......questionable.

theNightster wrote:
and I'm making a comparison because it's the internet and like game consoles everyone argues about about which series is better.

Except there's little in the way to merit this comparison though. And It just seems like a rather blatant attempt to downplay how badly put together Bleach's ending was, Naruto's ending had issues but at least you got to see the final villain(s) get defeated instead of awkwardly jumping ahead 10 years into the future after getting hit.

theNightster wrote:
I can't exactly argue with that, even the ending was lack luster the problem is really more of stuff that we didn't get to see then what actually happened (though granted not getting to see much of Ichigo's last bankai was kind of like a middle finger)

Hey now Ichigo can join all the other characters who had Bankai but never got to show it for reasons.
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Hey now Ichigo can join all the other characters who had Bankai but never got to show it for reasons.
kind of feel bad for the guy, I mean I really liked his character but spoiler[Bach's changing the future power and breaking Ichigo's sword, it makes sense for Bach to to break the thing before he uses granted but Kubo should have at least have Ichigo show off a little more before that infamous scene it probably wouldn't be as bad and even I can't defend that]
A Man named RJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
JDude042 wrote:
What I don't understand is if Kubo really was aware of his upcoming deadline, then why did he waste so much time on the fight with Gerard Valkyrie? To spend so much time on a senseless battle that was going to go nowhere only to pull the plug on it by having the main bad guy drain him of his power when the dude could basically regenerate endlessly makes absolutely no sense. He should have had him regenerate as a giant poop mound, just to give a perfect representation of what the series had become. Laughing Anyways... I wouldn't be surprised if by the end Kubo deep down was tired of working on Bleach and just wanted to get it over with and stopped caring about consistency or tying up loose ends.

I totally agree about the wasted panel space. I would link photos, but linking to scans is against the rules here so you're just gonna have to deal with word of mouth.

Kubo Probably overestimated his required time to write the rest of the manga. His pacing is absolutely shit. Either that or he tried to milk it until the end for about 5 years and Jump finally had enough of the BS.

Y Ruler of Time actually released a video called the Downfall of Bleach back in 2011 or 2012, The consensus being that Bleach was on the decline in quality and readership since 2009. Fact of the Matter is, Kubo got over 4 years to write his "final arc" and he fucked it harder than he did the Deicide arc. He screwed around with his characters, completely made a joke of pacing, threw characters all around for no reason, and outright forgot many existed despite presenting them as "Strong Main Characters"

One of the Biggest hints that Kubo had no clue of what he was writing and just spewing shit out was the fact that the Fullbringing arc was called the "lost shinigami badge arc" for all of the 9 chapters it was "lost" and the rest was just "Chapter Black Lite"

Bleach fell from grace HARD. So whearas despite being a flawed series, especially at the end Naruto got thought out retrospectives and love, and demand for spinoff movies etc Bleach gets a giant nothing. Even in the west where it's supposed to be one of the "BIG THREE" If Western interest is so dead, you better bet Nobody in Japan gave a shit anymore. The series got the can because supporting it was just a waste of money and resources from Shueisha. And a lot of that problem is the characters

What was their actual goal? What drove them? Bleach was too reactionary, the characters never became proactive in making moves, they only reacted to what happened. The idea of "what do i want to do after this" never popped up. This is where kubo should have taken a page from Yu Yu hakusho the most. The last arc was Yusuke making his own plays as an independent party, after the question of what they wanted to do in their adulthood came up. This never happened in bleach so the ending was going to be bad.

Be king of the Pirates
Become Hokage
Get your bodies back
Fight off the Titans once and for all

These are all goals something to aspire to. Something to give the ending actual weight. Ichigo's only motive was to "protect his friends" and as a result of that he never grew as a character, he never learned new lessons, he stayed the exact same the ENTIRE SERIES. Bleach is just a bunch of "cool drawings" that make up a sloppy story. And Kubo is only capable of telling ONE story, once it's been told once it's been told a million times in the same series, with no real diversity aside from the powers being used, Of course Bleach got the worst ending possible.

And frankly Kubo kind of deserved this. He dicked around with his fans for too long.he was incredibly Selfish and didn't listen to his editors, he let his art slide and made chapters bland and abuse the full page spread to space out chapters for no apparent reason all the while paying no mind to what was being written. The fans saw it for what it was and stopped caring. Bleach's fall from grace was Kubo's own arrogance, and WSJ had every right to do what they did. Kubo KNEW his final arc was coming It was announced way back in 2012. WSJ gave him 700 chapters (yes those TBtP arc chapters are negative) and 15 (get it? Ichi (1) go (5)?) years to write his story. He failed as a mangaka to deliver, and other upstart series (Assasination Classroom, World Trigger, My hero Academia, Shingeki no Souma) were doing eons better than Bleach was.

Frankly for the last 5 years Bleach was just kind of a tumor awaiting surgical removal. .
emmanuel.wilsonjeffers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
I know alot of people didn't like the ending for whatever reasons but for everything that happened at the end kubo did really good he coulda taken to other places and never finished or awoken us from a aizen trance but he didn't, i especially like his troll to the ichirukia fans after they tried so hard to make something be there btwn friends who friendzoned eachother and other main characters who loved both of them it was some real justice that he not only put the logical people together but drew their kids if aizen was there with them in sure his words woulld have been: when did i ever tell kubo to put ichigo and rukia together that doesn't propel kurosaki-san to my the him i've been creating
emmanuel.wilsonjeffers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
I know alot of people didn't like the ending for whatever reasons but for everything that happened at the end kubo did really good he coulda taken to other places and never finished or awoken us from a aizen trance but he didn't, i especially like his troll to the ichirukia fans after they tried so hard to make something be there btwn friends who friendzoned eachother and other main characters who loved both of them it was some real justice that he not only put the logical people together but drew their kids if aizen was there with them in sure his words woulld have been: when did i ever tell kubo to put ichigo and rukia together that doesn't propel kurosaki-san to my the him i've been creating
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5