• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Buzzfeed Japan: International Recognition Kept Pokémon Out Of Olympics Closing Ceremony

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but sales numbers say that pokemon is more popular than mario and has always been for the past 20 years. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/3ds.html from nintendo's website. best selling games for the 3ds as for june 30th, before Pokemon Go.

I'd argue that Pikachu is more recognizable than mario even before Pokemon Go.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of which is more popular, a more important question is which pokemon would Abe have dressed up as? I'm thinking Psyduck.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
TheConqueror wrote:
I'm sorry, but sales numbers say that pokemon is more popular than mario and has always been for the past 20 years. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/3ds.html from nintendo's website. best selling games for the 3ds as for june 30th, before Pokemon Go.

I'd argue that Pikachu is more recognizable than mario even before Pokemon Go.
I imagine they are taking into account all the games.
But it still seems silly.
If you made as many Pokemon games as you make Mario games, they probably would sell as well, and while Doraemon and Tsubasa are popular, compared to Pokemon, eh, silly move.

Pokemon Go really didn't introduce that many people to Pokemon as they are making it out to be, it's mostly people who played it as kids and didn't keep up with new games because not everyone finds the idea of switching consoles every 5 years for a hand full of games very interesting or they simply lost interested because they grew up and are now playing it again because it's easy and people won't even look down on you for playing it because it's a massive hit.
Though some statistics on that front would be really interesting.
wingweaver84

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Here's a question:why were Nintendo characters even included in Rio in the first place considering they're from Japan?I can understand if they were going to be used in Tokyo in 2020,but Brazil?
braket

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
wingweaver84 wrote:
Here's a question:why were Nintendo characters even included in Rio in the first place considering they're from Japan?I can understand if they were going to be used in Tokyo in 2020,but Brazil?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Brazilians
Barciad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
wingweaver84 wrote:

Because in the Olympic Closing Ceremony, there is an official handover from the current holders to those that will be holding it in four years time. I.e. Tokyo. During the 2008 Closing Ceremony, they had Boris Johnson, David Beckham, and Jimmy Page to represent the handover from Beijing to London.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
wingweaver84 wrote:

They were included in the closing ceremony's hand-off to Tokyo 2020.
ETX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In addition, Mario games have outsold Pokemon games (320 million vs. 200 million), and Pokémon was not as well known comparatively worldwide.

I'm sorry but that's bullshit. Mario may have been around longer, but Pokemon is the 2nd biggest franchise Nintendo has under their belt, and I'm pretty certain it'd be known just as much as Mario if not even more. It's understandable that they worked on the closing ceremony in Januray, which makes sense why Pokemon Go wasn't present.
peno

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
I imagine they are taking into account all the games.
But it still seems silly.
If you made as many Pokemon games as you make Mario games, they probably would sell as well, and while Doraemon and Tsubasa are popular, compared to Pokemon, eh, silly move.

Exactly. Though I understand why they used Mario (that pun "Mario" "Rio" is actually pretty funny) and Tsubasa (who is, arguably, one of the most famous sports anime out there), Doraemon doesn't make sense for me, since it's only known in a few countries outside Japan, Most of which Asian, while Pokémon was worldwide phenomenon even before Pokémon Go. Pokémon anime aired in much more countries than Doraemon anime and Pokémon games are released worldwide.
PannenkoekenNL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely untrue as Shin Chan was featured and except in a few countries he isn't well known outside Japan.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Snubbed on the weekend of the Pokemon World Championships... Razz
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
They probably don't want 2 franchises from the same company (Nintendo) so they decided to go for the most famous one (before the Pokemon Go big hit).
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
At least AKB48 & Kirito didn't make an appearance.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
At least AKB48 & Kirito didn't make an appearance.

AKB48 and Morning Musume probably during the games.
SAO is not a mainstream anime so no chance for that.
Anime that can appear probably One Piece, Naruto or Bleach, something that people that watch very few anime can recognize. They used Captain Tsubasa because is famous in Brasil and is a soccer anime.
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I have to side with Mario. Mario is Nintendo. I prefer Legend of Zelda myself but that's just me. The argument of which is more recognizable is silly. Among younger fans Pokemon would be , but Mario is older so fans who grew up in the 80s would say him. In my mind if you can only pick one Nintendo franchise then Mario is the obvious choice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3