• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do Franchises Keep English Translations Straight?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peno

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:34 am Reply with quote
It is many years since I last saw German dub of Dragon Ball and my German language skills never were that good, but if I remember correctly, in German dub, Kuririn was Krillin too. Otherwise, they kept the names intact, but this one, if my memory serves right, was changed the same way English dub did. So, may it be that someone in Japan wished the name to be Krillin and not Kuririn in west?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
It is many years since I last saw German dub of Dragon Ball and my German language skills never were that good, but if I remember correctly, in German dub, Kuririn was Krillin too. Otherwise, they kept the names intact, but this one, if my memory serves right, was changed the same way English dub did. So, may it be that someone in Japan wished the name to be Krillin and not Kuririn in west?

Until recently, when an anime had to be dubbed into another language besides English, they'd often just take an English translation and translate that into their language, particularly if the language is European. In Europe, it's way easier to find an English-to-X translator than a Japanese-to-X translator.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
peno wrote:

Until recently, when an anime had to be dubbed into another language besides English, they'd often just take an English translation and translate that into their language, particularly if the language is European. In Europe, it's way easier to find an English-to-X translator than a Japanese-to-X translator.

At least half a dozen European dubs of DBZ predated the 1996 Funi/Ocean dub. The first non-Japanese version was the French dub. Then the Castilian-Spanish dub. The latter is based on the former, though the French dub is highly inaccurate. Some argue that it's more accurate than the Funi dub, but that's debatable since the Funi dub becomes "more accurate" after the Cell Arc into the Boo Arc, whilst the French dub is consistently inaccurate.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
At least half a dozen European dubs of DBZ predated the 1996 Funi/Ocean dub. The first non-Japanese version was the French dub. Then the Castilian-Spanish dub. The latter is based on the former, though the French dub is highly inaccurate. Some argue that it's more accurate than the Funi dub, but that's debatable since the Funi dub becomes "more accurate" after the Cell Arc into the Boo Arc, whilst the French dub is consistently inaccurate.

Yeah, that's true. You're right. In that case, I do wonder if "Krillin" was the intended spelling in English.

It could also be that him being called "Krillin" in English was because other languages called him that though.
peno

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
AFAIK, German dub of Dragon Ball is actually one of the newest, the original series premiered in August 1999 (if information on ANN are correct, but it actually fits with my own memories). AFAIK, DB and DBZ were done from Japanese, DBGT, I heard, was done from French version, but with my German language skills, I may be wrong.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
Pokémon may have been lucky, but Digimon wasn't, with character and attack names varying between games and the anime etc.
The Danmachi novels coming out in English at the same time as the anime also highlighted inconsistency, despite both versions presumably having been approved by the respective licensors.
You don't even need to be a franchise to require a Style Guide - the Negima manga for one example was horrendous at keeping things consistent between volumes (or even within the one volume), at least until the Nibley sisters took over.

Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
A similar method is used when it comes to such franchises with multiple spin offs (for example a multi-film franchise with books on minor characters). In the script-writing world I believe such a document is called a "Bible".

I bought one He-Man DVD years ago, and a bonus was the series bible in PDF format on the disc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3